Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

re: Questions re Sky

Options
  • 08-08-2008 1:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I've a couple of questions about sky. We have the satellite dish but no box, can you buy a box separately and does it need to be specially installed? Like if we have the satellite do I need to pay the installation fee for the stuff anyways?

Second, I've heard a lot about the free to air channels but I'm assuming I can't get them even with a box without a subscription?

Third, is the miminum contract 12 months yes? I've been checking on their website and I can't find it!

Fourth, anyone hear anything about digital channels on chorus in Maynooth? On the website it says I should have been able to get them but on the phone they said no and I dont want to ring them back again coz it takes ages!

Thanks, sorry I'm new to sky so not sure of the story and their webpage is quite unhelpful!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭dougdub

1) You can buy them fairly cheap on eBay.ie

2) FTA channels - See here http://www.ftasat.co.uk/

Providing you reset your box to UK. (which it probably already will be if you get the box on eBay from the UK)

3) Sky minimum 12 months

4) No idea!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Thanks, thats great! Just one more quick question, any advice on the type of box? I'm really only looking for it for the freeview channels and maybe later a very basic sky package, not looking for sky plus or anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭dougdub

http://electronics.search.ebay.ie/sky-box_Satellite-Boxes-Receivers_W0QQcatrefZC11QQdfspZ17QQfcclZ1QQfcdZ2QQfclZ3QQfromZR40QQfrppZ50QQftidZ2QQsacatZ96969

Take your pick!

Plus is no use to you for freeview. Any standard sky box you buy can then be upgraded to get a service from Sky if you want it.

There's a guy in Ulster at the top of the list €50 + €10 shipping but be careful he has 0 feedback - Pay by PayPal and you should be covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭randombar

I've a box without remote to take away for 20 ntoes collect in dublin if ya like? (remotes you can buy for about 10 notes I think? Or I could just get the folks to post it whereever (it's down home in cork)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

Hi guys,

Fourth, anyone hear anything about digital channels on chorus in Maynooth? On the website it says I should have been able to get them but on the phone they said no and I dont want to ring them back again coz it takes ages!

Chorus/NTLTL/UPC are in most parts of maynooth. they have upgraded to digital recently in their coverage area and provide phone+broadband+TV.
    there is a local sales guy who can confirm the availability in your area.
    I cant remember his name/number. I will try to look for his flyer in the house

• Advertisement

Ya I noticed him but I've learnt from experience to check the feedback. Thanks for the heads up!

Chorus/NTLTL/UPC are in most parts of maynooth. they have upgraded to digital recently in their coverage area and provide phone+broadband+TV.
    there is a local sales guy who can confirm the availability in your area.
    I cant remember his name/number. I will try to look for his flyer in the house

Ya I remember this coming in in Cluain Aoibhinn to my old landlord but I can't remember whether they said they were about to upgrade or whether it had already been done.
    I've emailed them anyways to ask and I'm also due a callback from them too.

I really would like to just get chorus coz apparently the guys in my house tried a box with the satellite before and it worked for like 3 days and then randomly stopped! At least with chorus its reliable enough

Advertisement