Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Site Feedback

Options
  • 08-08-2008 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭

We're about to launch our new site, but would appreciate some feedback... We've been staring at it for so long that we can't see silly mistakes anymore!

http://dev.blacknight.ie/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Nice. I see you've followed the VPS site theme.

Overall it's good. Nice clean layout, more interesting & vibrant colour scheme and generally an improved layout than the old site. There's a little bit of attention to detail that's missing that could be better. The finishes on buttons, typography and spacing could be better. Overall though, it's a good design and presents a significantly more professional and polished image to the world.

Small thing: Medius, minimus - not sure if that's just filler, text but your existing terms are more straight-forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

p wrote: »
    Small thing: Medius, minimus - not sure if that's just filler, text but your existing terms are more straight-forward.
    Funny you should mention that :)

While you might find the existing names to be easy we got a lot of calls and emails about them so we decided months ago to rename them entirely

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

Very clean and smart design, a couple of things I would change though.

For the domain name search, I think you need to make it clearer what that is for. Sure the web professional will understand what it is, but there is no point in turning away other business.

This might be my imagination, but underneath the 'Minimus Hosting' the kerning seems a little tight. The text looks to be jammed together a bit.

I think maybe the 'Have a question' and the 'follow us on twitter' should be made as wide as the news widget things on the right.

All the buttons on the page use the soft green pill look. Except the search button. Why is this?

Sorry if you feel I am picking at your new design here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

I love it but I'm not a fan of that creamy colour down the right hand side. I think it takes away from the nice colour scheme.

oeb wrote: »
    Sorry if you feel I am picking at your new design here.
    Nah. I wanted feedback :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Nice site, huge improvment on the old site. I like the way the pricing is more straight forward.As for design I think that just subjective because it's a nice clean website. Not too gone on the colours but then again I'm colour blind!

Now is it just me or are your prices after getting more reasonable?

Probably just me but this image http://dev.blacknight.ie/fileadmin/images/moneybackguarantee.jpg to me looks like a broken part of a computer thrown on a pile

Namesco wrote: »
    Now is it just me or are your prices after getting more reasonable?
    Different pricing model :)

We have always offered value for money !

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭TheWaterboy

i like the crisp design and general layout but there are a few small things that i notice:

Seems to be a big variation between buttons. On the home page there is a green button with buy now text in white. Further down the page the buy now button has black text in an orange button. However on http://dev.blacknight.ie/minimus-hosting.html there is a buy now link (which is off a bit in FireFox).

Think you should keep all buy now buttons essentially the same.

I detest the "ideal for" and "include" images in each hosting package page. Look bad.

The domain "search" button looks very odd and different

The footer images (asp.net, microsoft etc.) are links to nothing.

Other than that good job and looks very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,242 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I really like the green - as others have said, it's nice and vibrant.

Just a couple of points:
    • The white to grey hover on the VPS types at the bottom seems a little dull, given the bright colours elsewhere.
    • Not sure if the font scales down all that well in the same boxes
    • Contrast of the orange price text on the green background could be stronger.
    • I think I mentioned this the last time, but the vendor / technology logos down the bottom are in greyscale. Perhaps they could be links to the respective sites, and maybe in colour on the mouseover?
    • The orange background on the right panel doesn't really suit. The light green one on the home page should be used throughout.

Very nice overall though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭philtaylor

Like the site, like the pricing structure/ more website support better. might actually become a customer now. Anyway back on topic like it overall but it might be just me but I like having Home as a main menu button not above the main menu.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the excellent and useful feedback. We'll try to implement as many of the suggestions as we can over the coming days (ie. after the weekend)

In the meantime we've put the site live :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭ocallagh

Overall great design

The content in the centre is a little sparse. I know this will more than likely change before you go live but make sure to beef it up a bit. Also the fonts are a little off, typography as someone else mentioned needs to be looked at (this would extend to the buttons which seem to vary in font/colour)

The right nav introduces a totally different colour palette with blue links, red headers and the "have a question" image. I think this whole area needs a little work. Actually, the "Have a Question" image needs an update, as soon as I spotted it was a bit out of style with the rest of the page I couldn't get my eye off it.

In the Hosting Boxes (Minimus hosting, Medius Hosting etc) - there is too much contrast between the orange Buy Now button, the Green More Info Button, the text and the white arrow - and the 8 buttons spanning the four boxes looks a bit like a zebra crossing.

How does the Blacknight logo (top left) look a little bigger? I think it's ok, but there is a lot of space up there

The shadow from the "Money Back Gurantee/Server" image should have at least 10 pixels of white space below it. It extends into the Hosting Package boxes and the shadow effect you're trying to produce is a little lost. Decrease the size of the shadow (preferable) or move those boxes down

Advertisement