Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Train Ticket Question

Options
  • 07-08-2008 9:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭

I already have a ticket that gets me from Maynooth to Greystones, but now I want to get to Gorey. The train I am getting is going from Maynooth, straight through to Gorey. Can I buy a ticket at Connolly Station that will pay for my fare from Greystones to Gorey? Or can you only buy tickets from Greystones AT Greystones iykwim?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Tails142

You're not supposed to as far as I'm aware but go for it.

Something to do with some routes being subsidised, i.e. you can get from a to c through b for 50 euro. But in some cases a ticket from a to b and a ticket from b to c will cost less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

can you not buy on line?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭líreacán

Its for tomorrow at short notice, can I do that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭líreacán

Also apparently Reservations are Not Allowed with This Combination of Stations

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

líreacán wrote: »
    Also apparently Reservations are Not Allowed with This Combination of Stations

Correct. The station in Maynooth should be able to issue you any ticket in the country from anywhere to anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,298 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If it is the one train, there are restrictions on doing it. Essentially you aren't allowed use two tickets to obtain a cheaper fare. Ask at the station or log on to www.railusers.ie/forum to get the best option.

If there is a change of trains, no restriction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

if you step off the train at greystones and back on the same train, two tickets are fine afaik

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

efb wrote: »
    if you step off the train at greystones and back on the same train, two tickets are fine afaik

Would you, arguably, not need to validate the ticket at Greystones? Could be a bit of a run!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

fh041205 wrote: »
    Correct. The station in Maynooth should be able to issue you any ticket in the country from anywhere to anywhere.

Not quite... I remember on more than one occassion confusing the steward at Consilla asking for student return Consilla to Adelaide... you can buy it in Connolly, but not in Clonsilla.
    Maybe they can't issue tickets with more than 2 connecting trains...

• Registered Users Posts: 78,298 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Not quite... I remember on more than one occassion confusing the steward at Consilla asking for student return Consilla to Adelaide... you can buy it in Connolly, but not in Clonsilla.
    Adelaide in which country? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

No reason why they can't, but its unlikely that the clerk in clonsilla would have any sort of knowledge of cross border fares. Could have ended up charging you double if they'd tried to look it up!!!

Advertisement