Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Security

• 07-08-2008 8:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭

Im sure we are all in agreement; there is wealth of information relating to PSNI on these forums. However, I cant help but notice that Security is very rarely mentioned and so I thought I would bring it up here. Consensia have done a great job in the organising of applications but very little information is available to find out about security, which to me at least is an obvious concern.
    I was wondering what steps others have taken in this regard. I myself have told only a select few about my application.
    Also what steps does the PSNI take to ensure Security for Police Officers after they have been recruited? And what advice is given?
    I know that even in this day and age, although things have improved here at home, security seems to be a cause for concern throughout the Western World.

Just thought it would make an interesting discussion....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭soozb82

I'm very interested in this myself, as someone starting soon, my only concerns are my fitness and who to tell! I am a very open person (unfortunately!) and would probably tell everyone if I had my way, but trying to keep it to myself! I was wondering whether will be advised on this at some stage, and what people would generally say they worked as. I can see me getting caught out in some sort of web of deceit which I wouldn't want to happen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭inspector71

I find it pretty hard to keep good news to myself and a lot of the folks I work with know I'm trying to get in. It seems everyone I tell either has a mate trying to get in or is trying to get in themselves. I don't really know any scummy people (as in people who hate the PSNI), so I assume they don't know me and I hopefully have nothing to worry about!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 721 ✭✭✭goodcopbadcop

i know of a guy who applied a few times and word must of got round, and he got a letter warning him not to join.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 rugby_blonde

Keep it Low Key!

Family mainly if you really want to... At the end of the day it's your safety that could be in danger not anyone elses... We all know what alot of people think of the PSNI..

Things have gradually got better but there are still people out there who will try to harm you..

I know what yous mean, though I'm not prepared to lve in fear of what other people might think. If anyone sent me a letter telling me what I should or shouldn't do, it would only serve to strengthen my desire to join the PSNI.

Lets just say I'm from an RC background and from a family with a tradition of northern ireland policing and I've had a more than fair share of abuse for that in school, and it's only made me want to continue the tradition and let people know I'm not phased by their bitter bigotry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭New Recruit

I know what yous mean, though I'm not prepared to lve in fear of what other people might think. If anyone sent me a letter telling me what I should or shouldn't do, it would only serve to strengthen my desire to join the PSNI.

Lets just say I'm from an RC background and from a family with a tradition of northern ireland policing and I've had a more than fair share of abuse for that in school, and it's only made me want to continue the tradition and let people know I'm not phased by their bitter bigotry.

*Stands and Applaudes*

Amen Brother..:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭pathway

well said

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭carlty888

Granted that everyone seems to know everyone else in this country, but with the (not too distant) history of this job, it's best to show caution. Call it paranoia if you wish, but it's certainly not a good idea to advertise that you're applying for the job. There are still plenty of people who wouldn't like the idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Zzoop

Folks, I know being a cop is a slightly riskier business than stacking shelves in the local shop and you should by all means maintain a certain level of vigilance but I don't see much of a need for paranoia. Once you hit the streets wearing full uniform and driving a marked car how long do you think it's going to take for word to be all over your neighbourhood ? Northern Ireland is a small place after all.

Not necessarily. You can be stationed many miles away from your home neighbourhood. I'm absolutely sure there's members of the PSNI out there that have been living in the same neighbourhood for years and years - and their neighbours are none the wiser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭TangoVictor

and suddenly this topic seem all the more poignant....

• Advertisement

The police federation has said PSNI officers' morale will plummet if their danger money is cut while they face a threat from dissident republicans.
    The special allowance had paid £2,731 a year to officers up until 2007, when the federation agreed to a 25% cut in two stages.
    The federation said it would be "contemptible" if the government implemented the second cut next month.

I didn't know there was danger money!?
    Is it just included in the salary or is it an extra amount on top?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭New Recruit

On top of your wages, but it is due to be reviewed next year:(

Advertisement