Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dissertation Panic

Options
  • 07-08-2008 5:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭

My MA dissertation is due in a month and I've only 4000 words done out of 15-20,000 total! Was half-assed about it all summer and now time has caught up with me.
    Basically I have my theory section done and two cases studies left to write now. It's in Innternational Relations by the way.

Have many of you been similarly short of time and managed to get a decent job done? I suppose all I'm hoping for is some reassurance (and possibly any miraculous time saving tips anyone may have)
    Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I want to finish mine this Sunday, and I have about 10,000 words left :)

You have plenty of time.

This is my plan of action:

Stop thinking so damn much about how beautiful the words flow, and just get the material typed up. After than I'll review it and make it sexier.

So just start writing and don't worry about having perfect English... yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

yeah just think about getting 20,000 words down first and then only start getting fancy when you have got the 20,000 psychological barrier out of the way.

you will be amazed how your mind will free up then and its only when reviewing and you have the whole thing in context can you truly link it all up

giving yourself enough time to review is the most important thing and lashing in loads of referencing at the end.

so do 1,000 words a day. should be near 20,000 in 2 weeks. take 2 days off and let it swim in your mind and then review over the next week.

you'll be handing it in early :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

Thanks for the advice. Good plan I reckon.
    That's made me feel a bit better.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

Miraculous time saving tips? Unplug your internet connection. Works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Fiona44

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I have 5000 words written and mine is due on Friday!!!

...i'm sure that will make you feel better

*runs off to freak out some more*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

It's actually amazing how much you can write when there's a bit of panic.

I've managed to write a load today. It's simply a case of getting a bit of a roll going and sticking with it...

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭gerry87

Is there generally a strict minimium word count for dissertations? Does quality over quantity not fly? My final year project was a 7000 word project, i handed up 2500 and got an A+. I'm not sure i've ever hit a word-count target!

gerry87 wrote: »
    Is there generally a strict minimium word count for dissertations? Does quality over quantity not fly? My final year project was a 7000 word project, i handed up 2500 and got an A+. I'm not sure i've ever hit a word-count target!

Yeah, the rules for the MA state that they don't have to accept a submission outside the bounds of 15-20,000. I'm up to 10,000 now after a few days, not the best quality though tbh. A fair bit of waffle lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

gerry87 wrote: »

what department was that in?General rule in english and history was ten percent over or under was ok.Philosophy and a few others were less bothered afaik.

Nice One. Dissertation done and wrapped up with a day to spare. Good advice in this thread i reckon. Bring on the beers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement