Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What a load of ****

Options
  • 07-08-2008 4:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭

It has come to the stage where everything on top gear makes me cringe!!! Everything is scripted......everything!! What makes it worse is that the 3 lads and the audience believe its casual banter!!! Richard Hammond is the worst of them....dont think he'd say a word without a autocue!! And the genius comparisons that would once come out of Clarksons mouth are now set up for him by the other two muppets so he can deliver the punchline!!

Not only that but now the show is no longer about cars!!! The Show now contains 15 minutes of the celebrity doing his lap,the stupid news segment with the flat jokes,some stupid stunt done by one of the lads and now and again a supercar.....never a affordable car!!!!!! The other thing they do is a race.....which always finishes in a close ending....tho i admit i like these however fake they are!!

All i'm saying is bring back the cars,get rid of the script and bring back a car show that tells you about cars!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Everything in the show is heavily scripted, it's morphed into a lifestyle show for men who wouldn't normally watch lifestyle TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

The Batman wrote: »
    It has come to the stage where everything on top gear makes me cringe!!! Everything is scripted......everything!! What makes it worse is that the 3 lads and the audience believe its casual banter!!! Richard Hammond is the worst of them....dont think he'd say a word without a autocue!! And the genius comparisons that would once come out of Clarksons mouth are now set up for him by the other two muppets so he can deliver the punchline!!

Not only that but now the show is no longer about cars!!! The Show now contains 15 minutes of the celebrity doing his lap,the stupid news segment with the flat jokes,some stupid stunt done by one of the lads and now and again a supercar.....never a affordable car!!!!!! The other thing they do is a race.....which always finishes in a close ending....tho i admit i like these however fake they are!!

All i'm saying is bring back the cars,get rid of the script and bring back a car show that tells you about cars!!

It's called 5th Gear ;)

No, you are right, the last series was the worst yet, I used to look forward to every new series, at least they admitted it was scripted this series. You know they're running out of stuff to show when they have a quarter of an episode taken up by lads on horses chasing Clarkson in a jeep. Hmmmm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭The Batman

yup i've been watching 5th year on dave but are they making new shows and what channel are they on?

I think that they are running out of exteme ideas so they should return to the original format!

Did they actually admit it was scripted? I know there is a running joke every week when james says Great news all of a sudden and Clarkson says what....but other then that im fairly sure they said nothing! I'd love to know if the episode where they went to america and got chased by rednecks was staged!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

yup i've been watching 5th year on dave but are they making new shows and what channel are they on?

I think they are making new episodes and they can be found on Five Mondays at 8pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    I think they are making new episodes and they can be found on Five Mondays at 8pm

From 11th

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Yes, which is next Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

The new format of Top Gear has never been a 'CAR' show it has always been an entertainment show that features cars. I really enjoy watching Top Gear as an entertainment show.

As suggested above if I want to watch a car show with real car tests I watch 5th Gear (and I do as often as I can).
    If I wan't to learn a little about how cars work and the likes I watch the likes of The Garage or A car/bike/4x4 is born.

If you watch Top Gear as an entertainment show and not a car show it is much more enjoyable. Of course it is scripted (at least partly) there is no way you could put a show together that covers all the stories it needs to without some sort of script.

Anyway I still really enjoy Top Gear and hopes it keeps going (the last episode in the last series was great).

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Top Gear is scripted as a pure entertainment show. I find it hilarious but I take it with a pinch of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

TBH i rarely watch top gear anymore!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

I think that they are running out of exteme ideas so they should return to the original format!

Did they actually admit it was scripted? I know there is a running joke every week when james says Great news all of a sudden and Clarkson says what....but other then that im fairly sure they said nothing! I'd love to know if the episode where they went to america and got chased by rednecks was staged!!

James May did say after the race between the GTR and the bullet train that they do arrange the races so they know they're going to be close. Entertainment value I suppose. Must admit, I did enjoy the race between the Veyron and the Eurofighter, those lads have the best job in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Lofty0990

Could'nt agree more pure cringeworthy fake claptrap!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Cormic

They admitted that it was scripted when they won an award in the US for being an unscripted show.

Advertisement