Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade Cab Mame Conversion

Options
  • 07-08-2008 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,211 ✭✭✭

Ok I've been considering doing this on and off for the past four years but I've decided to treat myself, feck it.

I'm thinking of building an arcade cab using a soft modded Xbox 1. Instead of building a cab myself from scratch I'd like to just use an existing jamma cab (for example) and then just use a conversion kit or re-wire it myself. I'm not fantastic at the auld DIY but I'm alright with electronics so I'm sure I could do it.

Any of you lads know of any irish sources for buying second hand or even slightly faulty arcade hardware? Ebay seems to be hit and miss as most of the cabs are either in the USA or the UK.

Any advice lads?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Well really you have three choices... scour old arcades in bray etc, use the yellow pages (expensive) or use the internet. There's always a few poping up on adverts.ie that are usually posted here as well to give us arcade fans a heads up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Mitchomagic has some from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭ondafly

I'm actually going to be building a cabinet myself this weekend with 2 other friends (1 cabinet each).

One of us is going to use a modded xbox for the setup. He has converted the component xbox cable into a VGA cable and I have to say the picture quality for MAME is outstanding. You'd need approximately 3 sheets of 6x3 MDF at approx 60 euro, and of course a bit of patience to actually build the thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,211 ✭✭✭MrVestek

ondafly wrote: »
    I'm actually going to be building a cabinet myself this weekend with 2 other friends (1 cabinet each).

One of us is going to use a modded xbox for the setup. He has converted the component xbox cable into a VGA cable and I have to say the picture quality for MAME is outstanding. You'd need approximately 3 sheets of 6x3 MDF at approx 60 euro, and of course a bit of patience to actually build the thing.

I'm useless at DIY that's why I was interested in just converting and old cab.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭ondafly

ah sure so am i :)

We got the 2 sides of my cabinet cut out, need to do a serious amount of sanding on it. Unfortunetly it started raining ! and we know how bad that got. So its called off for now, hopefully get back to finishing it tomorrow.

I'll try and post up some pics during the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Mitchomagic

I have a few cabs let me know what you want and I will see what I can do.

Mitch

I have a few cabs let me know what you want and I will see what I can do.

Mitch

Well what cabs have you got? I'd be looking for something like the original SF2 jamma cab but anything that's upright really with decent enough sized screen would do. I've seen what you have up on adverts at the moment and none of them really suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Mitchomagic

I have about 7 jammas arriving soon 26" screen etc,might suit you more?.

I have about 7 jammas arriving soon 26" screen etc,might suit you more?.

Sounds good. I wouldn't be able to afford one until the 29th anyways. What kinda price we talkin?

Advertisement