Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas Multistory Green Line

Options
  • 07-08-2008 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭

Hi

Does anyone know what time the Balally car park fills up?

A couple of other points while im at it, why in gods name is there not a huge over/underground car park at Stillorgan and Sandyford Stops its mad!!

Also why in Stepehen's green could there not be a platform either side of the Luas when it arrives one for people to get off the other for people to get on instead for people bumping into each other.

cheers...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I don't, but I imagine it gets fairly full by 0800.
    A couple of other points while im at it, why in gods name is there not a huge over/underground car park at Stillorgan and Sandyford Stops its mad!!
    Who would pay for this? All it would do is encourage more driving, not necessarily modal change.
    Also why in Stepehen's green could there not be a platform either side of the Luas when it arrives one for people to get off the other for people to get on instead for people bumping into each other.
    Lack of space. They need the overshoot space to be there, they need to be able to handle a few trams at a time. Trams usually have a few minutes wait at the terminus so there is no need to rush on board (weather and seats aside).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭markpb

Victor wrote: »
    Lack of space. They need the overshoot space to be there, they need to be able to handle a few trams at a time. Trams usually have a few minutes wait at the terminus so there is no need to rush on board (weather and seats aside).

The overshoot wouldn't be affected, just the road leading to Glovers Alley. If they had build three tracks, an inbound Luas could pull up on any platform with people boarding exiting to the left and boarding from the right instead of the current shambles.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

I don't, but I imagine it gets fairly full by 0800.
    Who would pay for this? All it would do is encourage more driving, not necessarily modal change.

I would imagine such large expenditure would be covered over its lifetime it costs 4euro per day to park in the park and ride. An underground carpark in Sandyford at the Luas is hardly a crazy idea surely? modal change aside - some people need to drive.

It would make a lot of sense to be honest there are only 600 spaces or thereabouts between Balally Stillorgan and Sandyford, thats not even enough people for most large offices, the only option is to be at the Luas at 7.30 which makes you early for work by over an hour and whilst that suits some it makes no sense for others.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,319 ✭✭✭dowlingm

If DB fed LUAS with connecting rather than competing buses with integrated fares, this discussion would be a lot less pressing. That is true of the current IE parking fee debacle too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,776 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

The issue is also that you just generate more traffic around the luas station, making it more difficult for public transport and local users to access. There is little enough road capacity in the areas you mention as it is. An extra 600 cars down there would have a noticeable negative impact. There is also the problem that these are business areas as it stands, and eventually the offices in the Sandyford area itself will begin to consume the parking.

The Luas is full as it is. Generating extra peak Luas journeys isn't really a priority.

The answer is really to have a lot of buses feeding the business park and the Luas station.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭maclek

They're supposed to be building a multi-story car park at the Carrickmines stop. Not sure how many cars it is going to take, not too many I suspect. I can already see the cars parked up on the curb. As if the luas isn't full enough already!

http://www.rpa.ie/upload/documents/15-LB1000GA15003Av8.PDF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

maclek wrote: »
    They're supposed to be building a multi-story car park at the Carrickmines stop. Not sure how many cars it is going to take, not too many I suspect. I can already see the cars parked up on the curb. As if the luas isn't full enough already!

http://www.rpa.ie/upload/documents/15-LB1000GA15003Av8.PDF

I would be more surprised than Mr Surprise from surprise Street if that is open at the same time as the rest of the extension. unless that is why it is being held up.

From what I can see of the area, most of the extension is built. All the bridges are done its just a case of laying track.

I can't understand why it is going there and not Cherrywood as well. An underground car park on what is literally a green field site seems a very expensive option when there is stacks of open space at the cherrywood and brides Glen stops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

Hi

Balally is usually full at 08.40 except on Fridays when it seems there is availability all day. The old shopping centre in Dundrum's car park is right beside the Dundrum Luas station and is a handy Plan B if Balally is full. It costs €6 to park for the day, the machine is only capable of accepting €3, so you have to print off two €3 tickets to park for the day, very scientific :D Never seems to fill up completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

Balally is usually full at 08.40 except on Fridays when it seems there is availability all day. The old shopping centre in Dundrum's car park is right beside the Dundrum Luas station and is a handy Plan B if Balally is full. It costs €6 to park for the day, the machine is only capable of accepting €3, so you have to print off two €3 tickets to park for the day, very scientific :D Never seems to fill up completely.

cheers for that !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

Victor, that must also be the reason for the Long Term car park in Dublin airport not being multi-storey, I had never thought of that.

(and don't give me that flight path nonsense)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

they should probably take away the railing on the green side of the east platform, and have steps going down to the pavement instead of the scrum for each end of the platform

Advertisement