Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Few Questions

Options
  • 07-08-2008 2:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭

Right so, heres my 1st site I made www.darrencarlinphoto.com I think its ok for a 1st try! Once I finished it I started to design a new one! I have the design and layout in my head im just wondering a few things what routes should I take..

Should I use CSS? Will it make a good improvement over slicing it in PS and putting into dreamweaver as html? This makes it loads in sections which I dont mind but would be nice to get rid of them

Heres the basic design

Untitled-3copy.jpg

Basically what I want is the page to stay the same on each of the other pages (home gallery about and links) all the content will change within the organge box, if that makes sense? If it does how do I go about doing this? Ive messed around in dreamweaver but couldnt find anything..

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

No matter how you decide to design the website layout (div or tables) you still need to slice it into small pieces.
    That is a very simple design so shouldn't be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Go with CSS, its the best way to layout any website imo. If you use html and tables it can get messy, one simple change may become a big task and also CSS if written correctly will look the same on every screen resolution.

In regards to the orange border, I'd scrap the image and just use CSS styles to create the main panel with an orange border... For the rest slice it up!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

If you want the same layout for each page, definitely use CSS to control the layout (and typography) all from a single file.

On the design. Reduce the font size on the 4 links or give them some whitespace to make them easier to distinguish from each other.

In relation to the orange box, beware of trying to fix the height. You can do this in print design where you can control the output format, but it's a different matter in web pages where you can't control the font sizes and screen resolutions. If you're going to use the same flash from the last site design for the slide show this shouldn't matter so much as you can fix the height and width.

hth

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Oh the orange box is just for show, the box probably will be barely visible when I do it, just something to put text on to make it readable.

Ill just have to find a good tutorial on CSS, I found one and was reading through it but it got a bit confusing he was explaing way to much in one go :p I get the general idea though the main image is sliced and then put back together with CSS in certain positions to line them up.. could be wrong but thats what I got from reading stuff...

Also the links at the top have orange rollover images so there pretty easy to distingush

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

Advertisement