Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unhappy in Job

Options
  • 07-08-2008 12:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Heres the story.

About six months ago I got promoted in work to a sales position. Basically on the road doing the sales thing. I have come to realise that sales isn't really for me. I don't particularly enjoy having to sell myself or the product. This may be due to a lack of confidence but I reckon thats beside the point. Another element of it may be the isolation that the role brings as I love being around colleagues whilst at work.

I really love the place where I work and the company is not the problem it's just the role. Although there are many avenues open in the company, when I was given this job I was told that if it didn't work out there would be no "back doors" so to speak. I don't know what to do and the thought of getting up in the morning to face another day of this basically fills me with dread and it's starting to filter into my personal life. I have been with this company for almost 4 years now and have had customer service roles also.

I honestly don't think I will be allowed to have a future in this company and will have to move on but to what?? I have a degree in marketing but wouldn't know where to start exploiting that. I don't mind a drop in wages as long as I'm happy at work. I'm on about 40k + benefits at the moment.

Would anybody have any advice or suggestions on what I might do bearing in mind I want to avoid a sales role!?

Cheers!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 missfrilly

well I am not an expert but if (like me) you feel this down about things you really need to take time out .Book a week off work and be brutally honest with yourself during that time. Identify what you like doing, don't just think about work related stuff think about your hobbies and interests too. Identify just how much of a pay cut you can take and still be able to manage. Think about which is more important to you , you personal happiness or your earning power.
    Weigh it all up make an appoinment to see a career advisor.
    One thing that came to mind is training as in you becoming a trainer. You obviously have talent -hence your promotion. You may need to do some training yourself to become a trainer :) but at least that way you will be able to work with people .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

How would you feel selling a product you believe in?

Advertisement