Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Construction work on Rock Road

Options
  • 06-08-2008 10:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi,

I noticed today diggers and general survey/construction work being carried out in the field behind Cumiskey's Volkswagen dealership (next to Kingswood). There doesn't seem to be any planning notice up so does anyone know what's going on?

GK

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I wondered about this myself...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

I think the Nissan dealership from Park Street is moving there.

EDIT:
    http://www.dundalktown.ie/ePlan/internetenquiry/rpt_ViewApplicDetails.asp?validFileNum=1&app_num_file=0780

Yeah, heard that. This work is further out the road towards Blackrock though.

My bad :o

Have a look at this http://193.178.1.178/Dundalk_gplan/ and you might be able to find it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Puppies

I believe it is another housing development, by a developer called Brookgate.

• Advertisement

They were resurfacing the road. Long overdue. It's been sufaced from the 'Welcome to Blackrock' sign all the way into the village centre.

Sorry to go off topic but what is going on in front of JJB and behind KFC, they have put up chipboard all around the unfinished car park so no one can see in.

Are they finishing the car park off or is something else going on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

They were resurfacing the road. Long overdue. It's been sufaced from the 'Welcome to Blackrock' sign all the way into the village centre.

Easy to know that the good minister for Foreign Affairs lives right along that road...loads of roads around the region that get a lot more use than this one, that were and are in a far, far worse state and feck all being done with them...it's not what you know...

[edit] @eamoss
    Heard a rumour about Tesco consolidating their presence in Dundalk and moving from both their premises (they're definitely leaving the DSC, not sure about Long Walk) to one single premises that is being built "near a retail park"...couldn't say whether it's true or not, but it'd make a great site for them...Dunnes mightn't be too happy though :D

Wertz wrote: »
    Easy to know that the good minister for Foreign Affairs lives right along that road...loads of roads around the region that get a lot more use than this one, that were and are in a far, far worse state and feck all being done with them...it's not what you know...

Normally I'd agree, this road was a shambles though. Now that the Red Barns Rd is complete it was probably next on the list. Saying that, I'm sure Dermot had a bit of sway, no doubt about it.

Wertz wrote: »
    Heard a rumour about Tesco consolidating their presence in Dundalk and moving from both their premises (they're definitely leaving the DSC, not sure about Long Walk) to one single premises that is being built "near a retail park"...couldn't say whether it's true or not, but it'd make a great site for them...Dunnes mightn't be too happy though :D

I thought Tesco were buying up all the shops in DSC so that they can demolish DSC and move it back 100 meters so its closer to the Marshes?

Did they not buy the Gaelic pitch (Gaels?) behind DSC?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭miceal

The Gaels never sold their pitch to Tesco, but Tesco do own the whole shopping center.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Normally I'd agree, this road was a shambles though. Now that the Red Barns Rd is complete it was probably next on the list. Saying that, I'm sure Dermot had a bit of sway, no doubt about it.

Aye I'm not really being fair and it's a cheap shot...some of that road was in bad need of levelling and surfacing, but there are loads of repairs needed particularly around town, a lot of them smaller and less costly than the work done in the 'rock. I'd be happy to see some of the potholes and surface subsidence in and around the centre of town being made good (although the traffic will be awful) and it would benefit everyone, not just Mr Ahern's main body of voters...
    eamoss wrote: »
    I thought Tesco were buying up all the shops in DSC so that they can demolish DSC and move it back 100 meters so its closer to the Marshes?

Like I said, just a rumour I heard. Someone who works in Tescos was saying something about a possible move to a retail park. Tesco are definitely changing their tack in the town, but I don't know what that entails for DSC
    Whatever it is they're building at JJB it's being kept well under wraps; walked apst the other night and it's wrapped up tight in marine ply.
    Maybe it's a new cinema :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TommyT

eamoss wrote: »
    Sorry to go off topic but what is going on in front of JJB and behind KFC, they have put up chipboard all around the unfinished car park so no one can see in.

Are they finishing the car park off or is something else going on?

Rodgers Nissan garage on Dublin St are moving to the new retail park. This may be it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Garry Kasparov

I stopped and asked the builders yesterday. It's a 46 house Local Authority estate... Kingswood will love that :-)

GK

Advertisement