Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N7 Newlands Cross has gone to tender...

Options
  • 06-08-2008 6:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭

..according to the NRA website anyway. I think that this is planned to be done by 2010 too, they'd want to get the finger out and start it!

Its not on Etenders, but I take that site with a pinch of salt anyway - stuff doesnt appear on that for months.

N18 Crusheen - Gort is also at tender on the site.
    So is N21 Castleisland bypass scrunch.gif

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

All of a week ago it said 'preliminary design' on nra.ie, so they've jumped some stages ;)

EIS was done by SDCC and ABP approved the CPO (can I get any more acronyms in there...) in June so theres definately nothing to stop the tender

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

MYOB wrote: »
    EIS was done by SDCC and ABP approved the CPO to build the GSJ

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Badly needed. Bring it on. Didn't look at the plans. Is it a similar build to the one on the N4 at Lucan/Newcastle road junction?

Despite the anti road lobby, I believe that these road improvements in Dublin will bring massive benefits, but only if comparable public transport projects are also introduced. (thats where the anti road tree hugging brigade fall down) Otherwise, poor public transport, will encourage people onto the traffic free new road improvements and deliver us right back to hell.

You can see it happening though, can't you.:eek:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I actually haven't got a clue which of the two plans they went for, I THINK they went for diving the N7 rather than overpassing it - and the plan for it was basically the same as the Newcastle one just with side access routes for Boot Road / Renault / Esso / Joels

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I actually haven't got a clue which of the two plans they went for, I THINK they went for diving the N7 rather than overpassing it - and the plan for it was basically the same as the Newcastle one just with side access routes for Boot Road / Renault / Esso / Joels

I bloody hope so. That N7 flyover would have been a bloody eyesore. Far better to have the N7 as an underpass as at the N4/R120.

• Advertisement

Aye, and we've got experience now with Newcastle of how to keep the junction open and flowing OK (as does Norn Iron with Broadway and Grosvenor Road on the Westlink being done almost identically in the past year and a bit).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

I think they're waiting until the Red Cow is done and dusted before they start on Newlands X. So very soon hopefully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

murphaph wrote: »
    I bloody hope so. That N7 flyover would have been a bloody eyesore. Far better to have the N7 as an underpass as at the N4/R120.

I think it's the flyover they're going for - in any case, it's only going to be two levels - if you saw some of the stuff I had been suggesting, you'd probably hire a hit man :D - the M50 junctions would be 3 or 4 levels if I had my way - something like this contraption in Glasgow:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/spl/hi/pop_ups/05/uk_enl_1135089769/html/1.stm

...M8/M73 Ballieston Interchange on 4 levels!!! :D

Regards!

4 levels and it still manages to have a roundabout in the middle :D

Reminds me of the N3/M50 proposal TBH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭patrickc

newlands can stay as it is as far as im concerned, with the red cow running pretty smoothly, no need to disrupt traffic further with yet more works

patrickc wrote: »
    newlands can stay as it is as far as im concerned, with the red cow running pretty smoothly, no need to disrupt traffic further with yet more works
    Not upgrading Newlands would leave it as the only at grade and indeed only non-freeflowing junction from the M50 to Cork/Limerick/Waterford. It is somewhat pointless to upgrade the Red Cow and not upgrade Newlands. You would end up with a situation in 10 years whereby you could drive form York Street in Belfast to Dunkettle in Cork and the only time you'd have to stop (assuming full e-tollng and the proposed Sprucefield junction works in NI are implemented) is at Newlands Cross. The bottleneck at this point is essential to be relieved. Better get it out of the way now while we're used to the roads around there being dug up.

Isn't the Hillsborough Roundabout less likely to be done than Sprucefield at this stage?

Either way, point stands, Newlands is an anomaly on an otherwise free-flowing road network.

If money is critically running out they could put a freeflow lane from Belgard North to N7 West and that'd sort the worst queue at it though; the Red Cow works and Outer Ring Road extension have reduced the congestion considerably.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

Isn't the Hillsborough Roundabout less likely to be done than Sprucefield at this stage?

Both upgrades are part of a single scheme.

Just a quick thought; if they (as looks likely) opt for the mainline flyover (ie, N7 elevated over R113) then they really should incorporate a box tunnel alongside/under the R113 and parallel to it for future use by metrowest. There's really no excuse for not doing so during these works so as to avoid at grade running and/or digging it all up again to grade separate the tram lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,308 ✭✭✭✭Victor

patrickc wrote: »
    It is also needed to allow Metro West to cross the junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭narommy

anyone notice the hoarding going up on the left hand side heading for naas? Is this for the junction?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

How long does the tendor stage normally take. I was told a while back that the N18 crusheen- gort bypass would go to tendor in august and work would commence in september. Does this sound reasonable, a month for tendor?

According to a reliable poster on SABRE, it'll go to construction Q1 2009.

glineli wrote: »
    How long does the tendor stage normally take. I was told a while back that the N18 crusheen- gort bypass would go to tendor in august and work would commence in september. Does this sound reasonable, a month for tendor?
    AFAIK with that one I heard tender in August with construction late 08 early 09.

Oranmore - Gort following with a September tender.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mobpd

there are signs up on approach to Newlands cross warning of Delays expected when road works start tomorrow. Anyone know the extent of these yet? Lane closures etc? there is nothing mentioned on AA Roadwatch or SDCC websites

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Land has also been taken from the golf course. Looks very like the start of a temporary realignment.

You can see the work from here
    Site0Camera85.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭joemc99

mobpd wrote: »
    there are signs up on approach to Newlands cross warning of Delays expected when road works start tomorrow. Anyone know the extent of these yet? Lane closures etc? there is nothing mentioned on AA Roadwatch or SDCC websites

Fast lane on west (or south?) from M50 to NLX was closed this morning, traiffic quite heavy, will be a nightmare in a couple of weeks.

Lots of road marking in and out on N7, I'd say they are gonna be shifting lanes both sides very soon. North side of N7 both sides of NLX is been cleared, gonna be a big intersection by the looks of it.

I better change my commute route, jsut when the M50 was getting better

I think those re preliminary works to do with the new Dublin-Cork? gas line actually. I don't think full blown construction of the GSJ is due to begin for a few months yet, however that strip of land is indeed where the southbound carriageway will be temporarily diverted to while the embankment is built up behind the retaining walls.

joemc99 wrote: »
    Fast lane on west (or south?) from M50 to NLX was closed this morning

OUTSIDE lane. There is no such thing as a 'fast lane' :mad:

Now, thats the rant over... the clearance to the south of the N7 beyond Newlands has gone even further now, must be a good few hundred metres at this stage and there was further fencing material sitting there.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭joemc99

OUTSIDE lane. There is no such thing as a 'fast lane' :mad:

Now, thats the rant over... the clearance to the south of the N7 beyond Newlands has gone even further now, must be a good few hundred metres at this stage and there was further fencing material sitting there.

lol, my pet hate too, slip of the type...........

fyi, I heard on we can use the bus lane while the OUTER lane is closed

Advertisement