Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In the event of fire...

Options
  • 06-08-2008 5:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭

Imagine the National Museum of Ireland in Kildare Street is on fire and you are standing there wondering what to save. You can only save one artefact; what would you salvage for the Nation?

I would pick the Macehead found at Knowth.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

While the bog bodies exhibit is still there, I think I would take one of them. Probably Old Croghan Man - he's suffered enough with his lack of nipples!

Failing that, the Derrynaflan chalice!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Doozie

Definitely the Ardagh Chalice, it brings a tear to my eye anytime I think of the invading Vikings and the ickle monks running for their lives, burying their sacred treasure. There is a great poem written in the margin of a manuscript, cant remember the name of it, but its archived in London now somewhere and the scribe who was writing, probably late 7th early 8th century, must have been sitting at his bench on a miserable windy night and the thought occurred to him to write this little poem. One translation is:
    'The Wind is rough tonight, tossing the white combed ocean, I need not dread fierce Vikings, crossing the Irish sea.'

sigh :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Nutlog!!!

I'd take the donations box!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Nutlog!!! wrote: »

Bloody northsider :D!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭bawn79

boneless wrote: »
    Bloody northsider :D!!!!!

The bronze shield from Lough Gur.

I wonder would most of the metal based objects survive a fire?

• Advertisement

I'd imagine they'd survive in some manner, whether they were charred or melted completely, suppose it'd depend on the composition of certain alloys, and how oxidised the stuff is...don't really know though...any early metalwork enthusiasts out there?

I think following on from bawn79's question I'd be tempted to grab somethin organic...as opposed to metal...though maybe not a bog body, what way would you carry it without looking suspicious???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 p1x1e

the little gold boat from the broighter hoard is pretty cool!

also i have my eye on one of the rings upstairs in the medieval section (the religion part of it).

the cross of cong would be a bit heavy for me to carry out, as would the lurgan long boat...but if the museum was flooding i'd jump in the boat with the cross!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Fletch123

Boneless- the macehead popped into my head immediately too!

I think I'd have to strap some bogmen to my back and maybe grab some viking shoes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Hackman

Now that's a hard question Mister Boneless....:)

I think I would carry out the Ballinderry game board. I have been facinated by it ever since I first saw it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Doozie

p1x1e wrote: »
    the little gold boat from the broighter hoard is pretty cool

Apparently the couple who found it, I think in the 19th century? brought it home and washed it in the sink, hense some of the oars are missing :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭uncle ernie

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Yazamalainia

the long boat...

although im thinking in case of fire would mean i wouldn't be able to shift it outta there quickly enough to not be burned...

it's the thought that counts :p

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭weebelly

I'd imagine all of the metal objects would melt in the event of a fire. So the Broighter boat is a good choice. Sorry lads - the Knowth macehead might just heat up and cool down and not look a hell of a lot different. You failed the basic Indiana Jones test!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

weebelly wrote: »
    I'd imagine all of the metal objects would melt in the event of a fire. So the Broighter boat is a good choice. Sorry lads - the Knowth macehead might just heat up and cool down and not look a hell of a lot different. You failed the basic Indiana Jones test!

Might just heat up... what is the effect of fire on flint though? Would it shatter? If it was really hot and then some fire fighter doused id with cold water would the sudden drop in temperature cause it to shatter? Are you willing to take a chance? ;)

Let's do some expiramental archaeology!!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭weebelly

You selected the wrong text - you should have read "...might just heat up AND COOL DOWN..." ie it is possible the fire wouldn't do too much damage to it if it just heated up and then cooled down in the fire.
    It will most DEFINITELY melt all the metal objects, though.
    Anyone know what the National Museums level of fire protection is...????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭trowelled

All the gold mwah ha ha ha

Only kidding ultimately I would love to save the meso canoe but I'd need a crew, that thing ain't going anywhere with just me!! So it'd probably be the mace head like Boneless, that's transportable!! It is pretty damn cool and well worth saving

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Meathgirl

Nutlog!!! wrote: »

I'm stilll laughing at this one!!!!! lol lol!!!!!

Typical!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Meathgirl

I'd love to the gold boat from the Broighter hoard.....

But i'd love to run out of the building with a bog body under my arm!!!!! imagine the looks you'd get running down Kildare st!!!!

Jaysus! You'd look fairly shifty alright...though I doubt the gards'd take a blind bit of notice! The Emo kids would prob cheer as you ran past the central bank, were that your chosen route abhaile!

In all seriousness though...FLUCK OFF!!!...no really though, I like the wax tablets in the early christian wing, kind of brings things back.

Can't wait to see Dickie Bird in Collins Barracks!

Advertisement