Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5 a side - tues 12th

Options
  • 06-08-2008 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭

As we talked about apres match last night I enquired about getting the 5 a side pitch in trinity for next tues but its unavailable since their doing some tennis coaching malarky, but it would be available the following weeks for €10 an hour which is probably the cheapest your ever gonna get.

I rang Sportsco about seeing if they have an opening that night but the phone there keeps ringing out, gonna send them an email and will update this whenever i get a response.

Can we get a headcount of people who would be available for this if it goes ahead?

Personally im gonna be in england with some work thing so wont be there this week.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

If we're gonna do some fitness work i'll come but if it's just a kickabout I can't play.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

i thought we were goign with friendlies on the tuesday nights? hence, the big thread a few weeks ago?

i have a game organised for this week(just waiting on a pitch, we may need to go astro as the grass one is unavailable) and potentially the week after also (thats only going to happen if we lose on friday). we then can have a weeks training the week after and des has a friendly 1st week in spetember. that keeps up ticking over nicely.

of course, if the first friendly does not go well, then theres no point carrying it on.

5 a side IMO, would only be a last resort.....not really benificial, only use is keeping lads fit, well sort of anyway and is better than sitting at home watching tv. if we can get 10 out on a tues, then we could surely get one more for matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Fair play on that Ed - friendlies are defo the preference. What we discussed last night was just that we need to keep things going one way or the other and it didn't look like we had a friendly lined up for next Tuesday, so we were saying we'd go with at least a 5-a-side unless something better came up, which it seems has come up.

Let us know if you need a hand organising pitch etc.

By the way, a lad from The Full Irish came up to Des before our game and asked if we'd be on for playing them in a friendly, maybe even get a little 3 or 4 team 11-a-side tournament going. Sounds exactly what we need so hopefully we can keep the friendlies going each week. I have another possible opposition if needed, not sure how they're fixed with holidays etc. though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Idu

I can get us a friendly too if needs be

I can get us a friendly too if needs be

great stuff ian...looks like we can have 5 or 6 friendlies to keep us going and that 4 team tournament also.

jules, will u see if there are pitches available for tuesday please? just an enquiry, nothing definate.

• Advertisement

I mailed the astro address I used to book the pitch last time. No word back yet, will try again if no word in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

If the 5 a side goes ahead, Id be up for it.

Lads, who's getting this going? Will there be fitness/non contact stuff? ie is it worth my while going? Let's not do the usual and wimp out of organising it. There's an email address there for sportsco so I'm gonna email about availability this tuesday.

who is in for this anyway?

me and dan can make this if we have less that 10, we play 5 a side tonight and we have an 11 a side grass game on wednesday, so if we have 10, then we can sit this out, however, will be there to ensure that this goes ahead. not sure bout arts availability.

martin, im pretty sure that this would only be a s on 5 game and no drills....we would need to plan what we are doing before we start doing drills.

What you mean who is it for? there were loads of people interested at the game last tuesday. Ffs, if the same rubbish is going to start happening again then it's pointless even attempting to organise this stuff

• Advertisement

Think it's pretty clear what he means Martin - if there's too many players, he's offering to opt out. Realistically though, I'll only believe we have too many players when I see it.

We just need to book a 5-a-side pitch for 8pm tomorrow night and then get 10 bodies to show up. Hopefully that'll be 10 of our lads, but we'll take it whatever way it comes if necessary. If it's our lads we'll mix in a bit of jogging and sprinting with a game of ball.

Simon said he was gonna try Trinity for a pitch or could book sportsco if necessary. Martin, if you have their email address will you post it up in case we don't hear from Simon in the next hour or 2.

The email address is info@sportsco.ie. They never replied to me. Their phone number is on their website. I have no access to a phone as my mobile is broken and I've no landline. I asked Des yesterday to text the team to ask were people interested in this. Not sure if he did or not. Also, Simon said Trinity is unavailable for tomorrow in the first post in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Yo - Ive been called into work tomorrow. They dont know what time I'll be off. If its 5 or 6 I'll deffo play but I could be in until 8 and wont know until tomorrow.
    Its a bit of a kick in the balls as I did want to play, but I really need the money.

Can whoever is organizing this txt me their number and I'll let yea know if I can play tomorrow (wont have internet access).

My number : zero eight seven six one five six one zero six

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I've been away from the internet since I finished work on Friday, and I won't be near it until after lunch tomorrow.

I'm currently job hunting, so that is getting my full attention until I can secure employment, I'm sure you understand.

Martin, I'll PM you all the numbers I have.

I rang Sportsco but they're fully booked up tomorrow night, and Wed & Thursday too. She said they're pretty much block booked Mon-Thursday and only chance is a Friday.

So that seems to be Trinity and Sportsco out of the question - any other 5-a-sides that would suit most of our lads?

We need to get something to keep things ticking over, even a run and kickabout in a park somewhere would help - would Phoenix park be alright or still waterlogged?

I'd say any grass based pitch would be treachorous still. Will we leave it for tomorrow? Bit short notice now. I'll set up webtext later with all the numbers Des gave me anyway. Though my phone is ****ed so not sure it'll go well!! Anyway, your call Jules on the 5 a side as obviously I can't partake anyway

in my opinion lads, 5 a side is only a last resort,. its only if there is nothing else we can do. id say friendlies are the best option for each tuesday night, i will do my best to organise 2 or 3 over the next month or so.

one idea maybe is to enter that competition on saturday to cover this week and ill try to get a friendly for next tuesday and the tues after.

jules,can u check availibilty of pitches, astro, for the next 2 tuesday nights for 11 a side please and get costs. another option would be to train for an hour one of the nights before hand, but theres a cost factor in there.

Hold on a sec Ed. Friendlies will teach us nothing we don't know already. We should be training at least once every two weeks. Only in training can we discuss tactics, etc and work on fitness that we clearly don't have. Plus I believe we need to have a break from games for a good few weeks until the memory of the rubbish we witnessed all this summer is gone. Jumping straight back into it could see the bad form roll over into next season tbh.

read my post again please martin. i said exactly what you said. my point is 5 a side is worthless, only for getting us together. 5 a side is not training, however, i think that a share of the players only want to play ball and not do fitness, drills etc. the next few weeks will see if this changes.

however, we dont need a break. if anything, a break may mean people loose interest.

Well if people don't want to train then what's the point? We certainly won't win the league with that attitude and if that's not where we're at then we should just wind the team up tbh. It's not a Tuesday night kickabout I'm after anyway

• Advertisement

Agree that 5-a-side is a last resort, but our track record with these sessions shows we resort to the last or no resort. We couldn't get a friendly this week so 5-a-side is the only option. Some fitness work in the park might have been an option but for the weather.

Pity about those pitches being booked, so it looks like we might have to give it a miss this time. Let's target a friendly for next week, with the intention of falling back to a 5-a-side (on a non-central pitch) or fitness session on grass next week if need be.

I'd say a friendly where we have 30 minutes to talk tactics beforehand is the best bet as more likely to get higher numbers and it gives an opportunity for all of these new players we've heard so much about to show what they can do.

I'm not available for next two weeks to attend anything as I've the thesis deadline soon. Tomorrow was my last free day. I'll help out with organisation if needs be.

Advertisement