Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

List of RTE's new season shows

Options
  • 06-08-2008 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭

Heres a extract from a press release that came into our office today

Some of it makes grim reading... "Seoige" anyone?

RTÉ Television Programmes List by Genre:

One-line descriptions of output for the New Season

RTÉ Drama

· Raw – 6-part stylish drama series set in heady world of top Irish restaurant for RTÉ Two

· Whistleblower – 2-part fictionalised drama based on findings of Lourdes Hospital Enquiry of 2006

· Single-Handed – The third series of the popular 2-parters in which Garda Sargent Jack Driscoll (Owen McDonell???) tackles another case

· The Clinic-10-part drama series set in the fictional Dublin clinic returns by popular demand

· Fair City – four episodes per week, 52 weeks per year – the most popular soap on any channel in Ireland in 2008

RTÉ Lifestyle

· Designs for Life – 4-part series tracing high-end domestic architectural projects

· Ballet Chancers - New series transforms hip hop dancers into ballet dancers

· Rachel Allen Bakes – Rachel returns with seriously tempting treats

· Clodagh McKenna – Clodagh visits some of Ireland’s finest seafood and fish producers.

· Off The Rails - with two new presenters; stylists Sonya Lennon and Brendan Courtney
    · The Afternoon Show – returns with presenters Blathnaid and Sheana

· Seoige – Grainne is joined by sister Sile to present the popular daytime show

· Living the Dream – 6-part series testing aspirational lifestyles with doses of reality

· At Your Service - Top hoteliers troubleshoot for struggling hospitality professionals

· Corrigan’s City Farm – Corrigan cooks up the products of self-sufficiency in the city

· Neven McGuire – 13-part series in which Neven serves up Mediterranean favourites

· Kitchen Millionaire – Amateur cooks compete to win supermarket distribution deal

· The Restaurant – back by popular demand with more celebrity amateur

· The Great Escape – follows the fortunes of four families who relocate abroad

· No Frontiers – returns with the latest hot holiday destinations

· How Long Will You Live? – Dr Mark Hamilton guides participants through life-lengthening changes

· About The House – Duncan Stewart presents insights into the latest building trends

· How Low Can you Go Reality Check – the bould trio try facing up to realities back home

· Trish’s Paris Kitchen – Trish Deseine returns with another slice of Parisian life.

RTÉ Factual

· Cromwell In Ireland – Expert analysis, CGI and dramatic reconstructions bring the horror of Cromwell’s 9-month evisceration of Ireland to vivid life

· Bertie – Major 3-part documentary on the most popular and controversial taoiseach in living memory

· Treasure Of The Bogs – chronicles the investigation and restoration of an ancient illuminated book recovered from an offaly bog in 2006

· Where Was Your Family During The Famine? – single programme in which three Irish personalities examine how their ancestors fared during a pivotal point in Irish history; the famine

· Who Do You Think You Are? – examines where and what we come from in a six-part genealogical odyssey of discovery in which six Irish celebrities trace their roots

· Forbidden Love – do the Irish harbour a secret fascination with the British Royal family?

· Return To Belsen – Belsen survivor, now living in Ireland, returns to Slovakia and the concentration camp in which he was imprisoned, for the first time.

· Blood of The Irish – tracks the origins of the Irish people from east Africa, through the meditrranean basin to central Europe.

· Death Or Canada – 2-part documentary series on deluge of Irish emigrants to Toronto in 1847.

· The House – A startling and deeply personal film by a first-time filmmaker in which five siblings bid farewell to their family home in the wake of their mother’s death.

· Broken Tail’s Last Journey – Colin Stafford-Jones tells a portentous tale of a lone doomed tiger in India

· The Last Confession of Alexander Pearce – a shocking episode in the controversial history of Van Diemen’s Land

· Secrets of the Stones: Decoding Ireland’s Hidden Past – Re-examining, re-defining and ultimately re-building Ireland’s most iconic ancient sites

· Flynnie: The Man Who Walked Like Shakespeare – explores the life-long artistic passions and political endeavours of Fr Christy O’Flynn

· The Investigators – looks at various aspects of innovative Irish scientific research

· The Master’s Apprentice – pairs masters in activity tourism with students in the area

· Anew McMaster – the life of theatre impresario Anew McMasters

· Remembering Ryan’s Daughter – looks at how the making of David Lean’s film changed Dingle’s communities forever.

· A Little Bit Showband – six-part series profiles six of Ireland’s favourite showband legends

· On The Street Where You Live – visits the streets of yesteryear through archive footage and talks to those who lived and worked upon them.

· A Little Bit Funny – profiling Ireland’s classic comedians through the archives

· Future Shock – the strand returns with investigative reports on drinking water and drinking alcohol.

· Addiction – Life At The Rutland – A three-part series chronicling moments of despair and hope for attendees at the Rutland Centre.

· The Real Mike Murphy – two-part documentary series on one of our most cherished modern day renaissance men: broadcaster, businessman, patron of the arts, comic

· Charlie Bird’s Arctic Journey – Charlie takes on a major arctic challenge

· Lemass – The life and achievements of the 1916 rebel and de Valera successor

· The Enforcers – six-part documentary series following the work of Ireland’s environmental champions.

· Crimecall – the monthly series returns, presented by Anne Cassin and Con Murphy

· Taking Care Of Business – RTÉ Radio’s Philip Boucher Hayes presents a consumer investigative series for RTÉ One.

· Traffic Cops – new series which follows the activities of the Traffic Corps, including the new accident forensic unit

· Living The Wildlife – The highly-regarded wildlife series returns

· Wild Journeys – Filmed entirely in HD, this new series tells the story of Ireland’s most remarkable wildlife travellers

· Arts Lives: The Riordans – The impact of The Riordans on Irish society and the continuing place of soap in our lives. Narrated by Fair City actress, Aisling O’Neill

· Arts Lives: Hugh Leonard – intimate portrait of the popular writer and playwright

· Arts Lives: Patrick Collins – Sean O Mordha profiles the critically acclaimed Irish painter

· The View – John Kelly’s weekly review of the arts and popular culture returns

· Ernst & Young Entrepreneur Of The Year Awards – three programmes will introduce the participants in the prestigious awards, itself televised as live.

RTÉ Entertainment

· Winning Streak: The Dream Ticket – Kathryn Thomas and Aidan Power add a new spin to Saturday nights

· Next - new studio quiz show with as-live participation from viewers at home

· Katherine Lynch’s Wonderwomen – Six new outrageous female characters from RTE Two’s multi-talented comedienne

· J1 Summer – lid-lifting documentary charts Irish students US summer. Parents be warned.

· Langerland – Sharp, unhinged and acerbic animated shorts series answering – What did the English/ RTE/ GAA etc ever do for us?

· Class Act – Derek Mooney presents this popular young talent contest with Caroline Morahan, Veronica Dunne and Julian Benson as judges

· Killinaskully – Pat Shortt’s hugely popular brainchild returns

· The Late Late Show – Ireland’s longest-running chat show returns for its 46th season

· Tubridy Tonight – Ryan returns with a new-look set and more Saturday night entertainment

· The Panel – moves to RTE One with a new host at the helm

· The Eurovision Dance Contest – Ireland was third last year, how will this year’s couple fare?

· Ryan Confidential – Gerry’s guests this season include Meat Loaf and Gordon Ramsey

· The Podge & Rodge Show – the inimitable brothers of Ballydung return

RTÉ Sport

· The Sunday Game – culminates in live and exclusive coverage of All Ireland finals

· The Road To Croker with Des Cahill – Des celebrates the atmosphere and emotion as the Championship builds to a climax.

· Pride Of The Parish – 6-part series in which personalities revisit their GAA Club roots

· International Rules – clash with Australia from Melbourne this October

· Soccer – World Cup 2010 qualifiers

· The Champions League – first-choice matches on Tuesdays and Wednesdays

· Domestic Soccer - eircom League Live coverage as well as FAI Cup semis and finals

· Autumn Rugby Internationals – all three Irish international matches; live coverage of 2009 RBS 6 Nations Championship; Munster v All Blacks & Heineken Cup highlights

· Against The Head – takes to the road to discuss all the big rugby clashes of the season

· Three new sports documentaries: Big Time: Bernard Dunne - a revealing portrait of the celebrated boxer and his manager and promoter, Brian Peters;

· The History Of The Irish Horse – the story of the golden age of modern Irish horse racing; and Stanley Woods: Forgotten Hero – the story of the Dublin-born racing mortorcyclist whose achievements on a world stage have slipped from view

Plus comprehensive coverage of Racing; Moto GP; Greyhound Racing; Basketball; Athletics

Movies

Include…

Failure To Launch; Prime; Just Like Heaven; Munich; Walk The Line; Harry Potter (IV) – Goblet Of Fire; Chronicles Of Narnia: The Lion The Witch And The Wardrobe; Pirates Of The Caribbean 2: Deadman’s Chest; King Kong; Ice Age: The Melt Down; Syrianna; Trans America; The Brother’s Grimm; Casanova…….

New US Drama Returning US Drama

90210 Desperate Housewives
    The Mentalist Lost
    Harper’s Island Prison Break
    Mad Men Damages

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭suckslikeafox

The Seoige sisters....essential viewing:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

sounds awful, sexily awful

• Registered Users Posts: 55,483 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Lots of great stuff in that Factual lineup.... RTE are usually really good at that.
    Its the reality and drama that lets them down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

Yeah all the drama looks rubbish.

Some of the factual stuff does look good.

Some of the entertainment is woeful (Derek Mooney and Class Act in the one sentence *shakes head*) but some looks ok (the Langerland do some good stuff on the interweb whether it will transfer is another thing)

Lifestyle looks crap

I hope they keep up the US additions as I think they have slipped in the last couple of years now that Friends, West Wing and Sopranos have all left the building

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭macrubicon

Interesting that they are bringing Langerland to the TV...

That could be entertaining given some of the opinions expressed in a few of the shorts!

• Advertisement

The Mentalist, Harper’s Island,Mad Men, Damages

I wonder will any of those four be shown at a decent time or like so much of the great shows RTE picks up be banished to the a post 2am time slot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Mad Men coming to RTE :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Ah, finally RTE have picked up Raw, it's about time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

From a quick read through those. Why so many food shows? I think some from the factual have interesting topics. The entertainment section looks truly awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

that show nepotism Seoige sounds interesting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I'm looking forward to Langerland.

Are there dates for any of the shows?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

F-ing Seoige sisters !

Sile Seoige and her incredibly wobbly bottom lip and her Grainne with the upper lip that doesnt move, what a line up !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

homah_7ft wrote: »
    From a quick read through those. Why so many food shows? I think some from the factual have interesting topics. The entertainment section looks truly awful.

Because they're ripping off previously sucessfull formulae from other networks.
    For example,we had Ramsey's Kitchen nightmares,the f word,Jimmy's Farm,River Cottage,Hell's Kitchen,Jamie at Home etc on the BBC,Channel 4 and Utv.
    Most of these shows are already approaching the end of thier shelflives,so what does RTE do?Pay some ****in idiot to rehash an existing,stale formula and foist it on the irish viewing public to justify the licence fee.
    A lovely bit of nepotism is giving Rachel Allen any kind of airtime at all after she publicly supported a convicted peadophile.
    In fairness to them they sometimes get the factual shows right but lately they've been doing the True-Crime-Talking-Heads-Newspaper-Headlines nonsense thats very cheap to do.Oh yeah,and they usually have Paul Williams to tell us how ghastly it all is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Where's The English Class?

They'll probably throw in a repeat of "Prosperity" too when they run out of crappy,badly written "drama" to inflict on us.

Its no wonder people drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Nolanger wrote: »
    Where's The English Class?

Thanks for that!

Degsy wrote: »
    They'll probably throw in a repeat of "Prosperity" too when they run out of crappy,badly written "drama" to inflict on us.

Its no wonder people drink.

I liked Prosperity and I drink. Where's my medal?

Maybe if we're lucky they'll pick up McSavage's show, eh Degsy?

I liked Prosperity and I drink. Where's my medal?

Maybe if we're lucky they'll pick up McSavage's show, eh Degsy?

Were you drunk when you saw it?
    It would certainly appear to have been written and directed by drunks.
    McSavage,eh?
    He's only marginally more offensive than Prosperity!

McSavage,eh?
    He's only marginally more offensive than Prosperity!

Well that bit I was joking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Kathryn Thomas in a show where she's not wearing a bikini and no Caroline Morahan? I'm glad I don't have a tv licence

• Advertisement

Quint wrote: »
    Kathryn Thomas in a show where she's not wearing a bikini and no Caroline Morahan? I'm glad I don't have a tv licence

Just be glad you dont have a shotgun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭d1975

so no caroline morahan to drull over but 2 seoige sisters mmmmmmmmmm the choice is good I think

Met Caroline a while back she's a nice person without make up I might add :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Sile Seoige, a lapdancing pole and bottle of babyoil and you've got yourself a ratings winner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭MattEmulsion

"Bertie – Major 3-part documentary on the most popular and controversial taoiseach in living memory"

I'm in my 30s and remember Charles Haughey as Taoiseach who was by far the most controversial and divisive Taoiseach in the history of the state? Am I no longer living? Do I not have a memory? What ****wit in RTÉ's PR department wrote this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭TvWatcher

you can watch their new season promo here www.rte.ie/tv/newseason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭MattEmulsion

TVWatcher - are you going to post that link in every feckin page on this forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,483 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

TvWatcher - if you post that link again, I'm going to ban you for a week. You're just spamming now. Final warning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭pokerwidow

A lovely bit of nepotism is giving Rachel Allen any kind of airtime at all after she publicly supported a convicted peadophile.

Couldn't agree more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Eglinton

Katherine Lynch?!?!? - Ah for **** sake. Do they ever learn.
    Katherine Lynch's Wonderwomen RTÉ Two

She made her explosive debut on TV in January when she commandeered
    Pat Kenny’s lap for a rousing rendition of Stand by Your Van.

Meanwhile, her first series, Katherine Lynch’s Working Girls was a critical and audience hit. Now the multi-talented comedienne returns with another collection of outrageous female characters in a new sixpart series for RTÉ Two. Singin’ Bernie Walsh makes a tuneful return, while Sheila Sheik goes on the hunt for some new fellas.

Commissioned by RTÉ Television.

Commissioned by RTE! - Could we do a collective whip around to commission someone to take whomever commissioned that and give them a serious bashing?

Yet another example of inept producing and decision making at RTE founded on, I believe (and agree with everyone else who has said it), hiring people based on nepotism rather than actual talent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ashyle

giftgrub wrote: »
    Where Was Your Family During The Famine? – single programme in which three Irish personalities examine how their ancestors fared during a pivotal point in Irish history; the famine

who named half of these??

wow the restaurant.. i secretly enjoy this

Advertisement