Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N95 or GPS - Please advice.

Options
  • 06-08-2008 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

hi,
    I'm unable to decide whether to buy a N95 (8 gb version) or GPS. My main aim is to use N95 as GPS and also for Wifi. I think N95 is more efficiant than GPS like Garmin or Tomcat as N95 can use both Nokia maps and Garmin/Tomcat if relevant Garmin/Tomcat software is installed. If I buy a GPS I have to only use it with its own maps whereas in N95 I can select whichever map is the latest. What's your opinion on this?
    I have few more questions.
    1) Is the internal GPS atenannwa of N95 is as powerful as Garmin/Tomcat GPS anternna?
    2) I've found several sites that provide Garmin/Tomcat maps for free for Symbian mobiles, do they really work?
    3) Will there be any lock on the GPS use in N95 if I get it through Meteor or O2?
    Can you guys please advice me on this?
    Cheers
    g
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

guessaname wrote: »
    hi,
    I'm unable to decide whether to buy a N95 (8 gb version) or GPS. My main aim is to use N95 as GPS and also for Wifi. I think N95 is more efficiant than GPS like Garmin or Tomcat as N95 can use both Nokia maps and Garmin/Tomcat if relevant Garmin/Tomcat software is installed. If I buy a GPS I have to only use it with its own maps whereas in N95 I can select whichever map is the latest. What's your opinion on this?

I find the latest N95 maps no worse than any of the standalone gps units. I also had the advantage of downloading maps for the US when I was over there.

I think the N95 is a better option just to have one less device. I also don't use a seperate digital camera or Mp3 player any longer.
    I have few more questions.
    1) Is the internal GPS atenannwa of N95 is as powerful as Garmin/Tomcat GPS anternna?

It's not as quick to lock on but I find that ok but if you have a data connection then the A_GPS is an advantage.
    2) I've found several sites that provide Garmin/Tomcat maps for free for Symbian mobiles, do they really work?

Problematic. I haven't gotten them to work yet.
    3) Will there be any lock on the GPS use in N95 if I get it through Meteor or O2?
    Can you guys please advice me on this?
    Cheers
    g

No diiference.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭guessaname

jimmycrackcorm, Thanks a mil. for your valuable advice.
    I few quick questions.

- Why Nokia provide free maps to the user? What do they get from that?
    - Are these maps free for ever or do they charge us for downloading maps in future?
    - How often they update maps?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭icemanjimbo04

The catch with the nokia maps is that it doesnt give voice guided navigatiion for free. You can browse the map and it will show your current location but will not guide you to a destinaton. You have to pay for this, I cant recall off hand how much but it wasnt cheap
    guessaname wrote: »

I use Garmin on my N95 and it works fine, It can take a couple of mins to lock on at first but after that it fab.
    Ive heard the downloads do work but I paid for mine. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,863 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Its roughly €70 for two years

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

On my Nokia maps its says the GPO is at the Custom house ? I seen 1 or 2 other mistakes on it like Malahide castle was in Donabate or something like that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

The gps drains the n95 very quick, so once your in the car and able to keep to charged constantly its ok. Its also a very handy phone with plenty of features.

Advertisement