Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are they making it so hard to volunteer>?

Options
  • 06-08-2008 10:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

Hey all

Just a quick question.. I really want todo some volunteer work for a couple of weeks - ideally with the homeless.

I have been in touch with Focus Ireland who directed me to Volunteer Centre (only do work on the southside which doesnt suit) and Volunteering Ireland who have ignored my last 4 emails.

I really want to do this volunteer work and I am being met by a brick wall. :confused::confused::confused:

Any advice would be hugely appreciated. I would love to work in a homeless shelter, soup kitchen etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

I completed the online form for volunteering here: http://www.volunteer.ie/ on Sunday night, Tuesday morning I got an e-mail from them to arrange a meeting for this Friday, so I'll see what they throw my way. Havent had any issues with them, they seem more than willing to get hold of me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

I had the same issue with a volunteer group in Cork. I sent an email expressing my willingness to help and I got no reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 elleA

I really want to do this volunteer work and I am being met by a brick wall. :confused::confused::confused:

I've been in the same position and I know it can be disheartening but try not to focus on that, just keep thinking about the difference you want to make and will make one day.

From my experience, emailing organisations doesn't work. I'm not sure if it's down to lack of resources or lack of time on the organisations part but it just doesn't seem to be the effective way of communicating. I suggest ringing Volunteer Ireland (phone details are on this page http://www.volunteeringireland.ie/page.php?id=25) or phoning your local Simon Community group since you are especially interested in helping the homeless (details here http://www.simon.ie/index.php?page=contact-to-volunteer).

Hope this helps! Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I would love to work in a homeless shelter, soup kitchen etc.

so go down to the simon community say hello and start helping out

these aren't buisness's they don't run to SLA's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

try the capuchin daycentre in smithfeild,give brother kevin a shout on 8720770

More info here, including duties of vol's http://www.churchandhalston.irishcapuchins.com/Day_Centre.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭SarahMc

Or here is a list of volunteering opportunities

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Millie

Thanks for the link to that site.
    I too have tried to get involved in volunteering but no success with any response.
    However the site is very up to date so hopefully I can lend a hand with some work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

no reply = because nobody wants to tell a person they're not needed. it can be head wrecking but thats how everybody does it these days. if you apply for a job nobody has the guts to tell you to get lost either. nobody knows how to do confrontation anymore since the rise of facebook, texting and such things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I think it is difficult to get your foot in, especially with the homeless because a lot of people think 'oh i'd like to do that... then sign up for the training and decide that they can't be arsed. They need to know you will give at least 2 years dedication so they want to weed out the half-assed idealists at the first stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 lawstudent99

Hi there

Don't be disheartened if voluntary organisations appear unenthusiastic about new hands. They are under-supported, under-staffed and working on shoe string budgets. Once you get in however, you'll feel just like one of the family. I would recommend asking around at work/college etc as a name is always handy and helps you get in touch with the local charities that can't afford publicity. A phonecall is always the best way to introduce yourself and make sure you are certain at that stage about how much time you have to give and how flexible with this time you can be. Good luck with your hunt and enjoy :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement