Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone use X-Plane?

Options
  • 05-08-2008 11:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭

There has to be someone out there who uses it... personally I think it's perfect. Fine, it's not fantastic on systems simulation, but the flight model is just fantastic. Plus, the amount of planes available is beyond belief. Hell I've made a few of my own and they're not half bad! I'm currently trying to tame a Mach 3 airliner with nasty approach behaviour. Great fun :D

Anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭kencleary

Bought it a couple of weeks ago when I built a new PC. Barely had time to play it though. Seems like great aircraft variety alright. I loved some of the sci-fi options too - like the planes designed to fly on Mars!

For anyone thinking of buying it though it comes on DVDs and the total install comes to 40GB give or take. So you better start deleting stuff off your hard drives!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

You don't need to install it all though. I stuck with Europe. I'd suggest http://www.x-plane.org for new (free) aircraft, and make sure you check http://www.x-plane.com/beta.html for the newest beta. There's almost always an update there. Any problems or questions, give me a shout.

The Mars planes are REALLY intense - you need to be flying at around Mach 1 just to get airborne. Landing is the really terrifying bit :eek:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I love X-Plane, I bought the new version recently but haven't had a chance to do much with it.

I really loved doing the full shuttle re-entry and landing in an earlier version, took a while but very enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

hmm..sounds more exciting than flight sim..
    by the comments above I take it it's not as simmy as FSX?
    Which would be a good thing in my book :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Nope, not very simmy at all. It's functional and a bit weird. Be prepared to learn lots aboutbuilding as well as flying aircraft, because if it doesn't fly right, you do something about it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 A320-200

Actually, it is very simmy. It's how you choose to fly it. From the aspect of GA, its better than FS.
    3D gauges, Smooth gauges, accurate flight models, Accurate modeling of variable pitch prop and turboprop.
    LOTS of high quality payware/freeware at low prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

A320-200 wrote: »
    Actually, it is very simmy. It's how you choose to fly it. From the aspect of GA, its better than FS.
    3D gauges, Smooth gauges, accurate flight models, Accurate modeling of variable pitch prop and turboprop.
    LOTS of high quality payware/freeware at low prices.

uhh..hmm..think I'll do with F22-TAW..old style game but one of the best fighter jet ones in my opinion..
    Lock-On I have but haven't the patience to learn all the controls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 benbulbin

Love X-plane, the Sketch-up scenery export plugin and World Editor applincation have made creating scenery objects and airport layouts much easier. I'm working on EIKN - Ireland West Airport Knock at the moment. Should have something up on .org site next month.

Picture7.jpg
    Picture4.jpg
    Picture8.jpg
    Picture9.jpg
    screenshot_44.jpg
    screenshot_39.jpg
    screenshot_36.jpg
    screenshot_26.jpg
    screenshot_21.jpg
    screenshot_10.jpg
    screenshot_13.jpg

Advertisement