Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr. Frankenst...I mean Lynch on Newstalk

Options
  • 05-08-2008 9:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭

Did anyone hear his interview with Ivan Yeats (standing in for Hook) on Newstalk tonight?

Oh my good ****ing god, the arrogance, spin and lack of decent articulation made me weep. I preferred it when he hid in his office. How this eejit can be allowed to go on the airwaves doing a "Bill Cullen with Coddle" impersonation is surely a sign of the Fianna Fail times we live in. Should have left him locked away in Fas!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Ivan is fairly good in the arrogance stakes himself but what a joke Lynch is!!
    You can take the man out of the bog but you can't the bog out of the man. That said I thought he seemed quite well briefed compared to Barry Kenny.

:):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

You beat me to it I was going to open a thread on this .

I can now fully understand why CIE are the total and utter mess they are with this person in charge.

His reaction to questions was shocking, almost along the lines of ' don't question me you stupid people I know better '.

I assume his appointment was another ' jobs for the boys ' ? ( I wasn't here 10 years ago )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Davidth88 wrote: »
    You beat me to it I was going to open a thread on this .

I can now fully understand why CIE are the total and utter mess they are with this person in charge.

His reaction to questions was shocking, almost along the lines of ' don't question me you stupid people I know better '.

I assume his appointment was another ' jobs for the boys ' ? ( I wasn't here 10 years ago )

Irish Independent 21st February, 2008
    By Lorna Reid
    THE former director general of FAS has denied sending one of his employees on a junket to ensure the man missed a vote on the re-zoning of Quarryvale.
    Dr John Lynch, the current chairman of CIE, said he categorically refuted the claim that he had insisted that independent councillor Guss O'ConnellLondon on December 17, 1992, to attend a conference. go to
    "I never sent anyone on a junket in my life," Dr Lynch told the Mahon Tribunal yesterday.
    Lobbyist Frank Dunlop has already told the planning probe that Mr O'Connell missed the Quarryvale vote because he had been sent on a junket by the FAS chief.
    Dr Lynch said he was aware that the Quarryvale vote was coming up on December 17, the same date as the trip to London. He told Mr O'Connell that he didn't have to go, that it was a matter for himself, but Mr O'Connell decided to go.
    "I said to him,Guss make up your mind, go or don't go," Dr Lynch recalled.
    Mr O'Connell said Dr Lynch had asked him to go on the London trip to be part of a special delegation. The director said the visit needed to be made "sooner than rather later" and that he was aware that the timing of the visit could cause a dilemma for him.
    Mr O'Connell said he decided to go to London as his first loyalty lay with FAS his employers.
    Mr O'Connell said his vote against the re-zoning of Quarryvale wouldn't have made any difference. The vote was 39 to 28 with two abstentions.

I'll say no more in case I get banned from the boards! :eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Dr. Lynch is to say the least a "colourful" character, who has in the past not restrained himself from using "interesting" language when challenged on how the business is run by journalists or customers.

He famously told the manufacturers of the Mark 4 coaches, CAF, in public at the lunch on the day of the official launch that they had "shafted" Iarnród Éireann!!

He was also the main proponent of not letting the RPA near Broadstone.

Never one for holding back!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 371 ✭✭Traffic

Is this interview avialable to listen to online?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

I heard it and my god what a plonker. I was collecting my missus from that train station. She was running late so I could listen to Ivan (who was fairly sh*te TBH and TBF I do kinda like him as a guest on programmes).

While listening to this I noticed about 5 trains come and go and the people who got off them having to wait in the pouring rain with no bus shelter as the 39 failed to show for 45 mins in either direction. All this while listening to this g*bsh*te in the background while people got soaked due to a lack of integration of modes/tickets etc. I was very angry thinking as some of these people having an unnecessary 45 mins added to their commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

KC61 wrote: »
    Dr. Lynch is to say the least a "colourful" character, who has in the past not restrained himself from using "interesting" language when challenged on how the business is run by journalists or customers.

He famously told the manufacturers of the Mark 4 coaches, CAF, in public at the lunch on the day of the official launch that they had "shafted" Iarnród Éireann!!

He was also the main proponent of not letting the RPA near Broadstone.

Never one for holding back!
    .....shame the man hasn't used any of his forthrightness to deliver integrated fares. He's just another gombeen man. That's why this country is in the mess it's (still) in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

KC61 wrote: »

Ha! I remember that and speaking to him that day. It was probably the beginning of the end for me in rail lobbying. Cullen was as bad that day.

Advertisement