Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Government Pay - I'm unhappy

Options
  • 05-08-2008 5:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

Firstly I'll start by saying that I realise that having a public sector job is a good thing, however I'm being paid half what I should be. I need to piece something together which will go to my management for discussion regarding upping my pay. Has anyone written such a document before, if so have you any pointers, and has anyone got an IT Personnel job description, as I need to mark my duties against this.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Thia ia better discussed on the Work & Jobs forum.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=10

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

Moving to work and jobs

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

If you're working for a Local Government organisation (Co Council, Corporation, UDC, whatever), I assume (perhaps incorrectly)that you are at a particular grade. If so, what grade are you and how long have you been at that grade ? what is your work histiry in the public service ? How do you think you're being paid half what you should be ?

Ritz.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Are you working in HR for IT or in IT?

There are several surveys which benchmark different jobs available online from recruitment agencies

Being paid half what you think you should be is pretty off..........

I've a few more links if you are interested Brightwater and Sigmar both publish surveys :)

http://www.payscale.com/research/IE/Country=Ireland/Salary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭FabulousGirl

Public Jobs are paid depending on the grade (CO, EO, HEO etc) and on the payscale you are at (at year one you are on scale one, year two - scale two and so on). There is a list of the various pay scales on publicjobs.ie under Civil Service Career Info although I think they are a little out of date. The only way to increase your pay is to keep completing years of service or get promoted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I work in a semi state and we do not have grades in the relevant department for all staff so it may be that the OP is in such a situation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭FabulousGirl

Possibly, but do the payscales not still apply?
    I am interested to see how this develops as I am a Civil Servant myself.

They don't

Now this is a semi state and in my department there are no grades, so the payscales do not apply at all, so it's basically like a private company where one's compensation and benefits can literally be down to each individual.

It can make for a very uncomfortable working environment.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

There are pretty fixed grade structures in the Civil Service and Local Government (CoCos, Coroporations etc). There isn't a uniform grade structure across Semi-State bodies, commercial or other wise, so the issue of payscales etc is a matter for the management of the body/agency/ company. Some SSBs are subject to approval of the Min. for Finance as to their staff numbers and payscales etc, it all depends on what provisions are in the legislation under which they are established.

If you were working in a Local Authority at say a Grade 5 in an IT department and you reckoned that you're underpaid for the type of work you were doing, then first you should enquire if similar positions in other similar Local Authorities is graded at the same level. If it's graded higher, you could enquire about the possibility of having the post upgraded.

If the same work is graded at the same level as yours in other LAs, and you feel your being paid half what you should be (presumably by reference to the private sector), then the short answer is to get a job in the private sector.

Ritz

Advertisement