Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The planet Earth is Round Conspiracy???

Options
  • 05-08-2008 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,038 ✭✭✭✭

Seen this on the BBC there is people out there who think the planter is flat or disc shaped and not a shpere. Claiming that the pictures from space are all faked by NASA.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7540427.stm

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Diogenes

Seen this on the BBC there is people out there who think the planter is flat or disc shaped and not a shpere. Claiming that the pictures from space are all faked by NASA.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7540427.stm

I think as I get older I'm constantly re examining just how vast our collective capacity to believe idiotic things truly is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Diogenes wrote: »
    I think as I get older I'm constantly re examining just how vast our collective capacity to believe idiotic things truly is.

Trolling & insulting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

The earth isn't a sphere, nor a circle or disc.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Cube, eh? :D

No matter how many times I hear about flat-earthers, I can never believe they are serious. It's just seems insane that anyone could honestly believe that and believe that everyone else in the world is plotting against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Kernel wrote: »
    Trolling & insulting.

Are you suggesting that you don't agree that flat-earthers believe in something idiotic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,511 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Madness. Do they not have the ability to look out the window of a plane?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

dsmythy wrote: »
    Madness. Do they not have the ability to look out the window of a plane?

Why? what would it look like? a big flatish disc perchance?

Why? what would it look like? a big flatish disc perchance?

*Head in my hands*

Mahatma you don't believe the earth is a flat disc do you?

no, what I asked was what would it look like if it was a flatearth, as opposed to a geoid (sp) planet

what would the difference be to the uninitited.....

Actually, Is there anyone else who would like to get involved in any real discussion, cos you're just a TROLL, and I am tired of your Sh1te.

care to make a positive contribution or are you jut gonna stick with the habit of a lifetime and snipe from the sidelines??

no, what I asked was what would it look like if it was a flatearth, as opposed to a geoid (sp) planet

what would the difference be to the uninitited.....

There wouldn't be any curvature of the earth for starts.
    Actually, Is there anyone else who would like to get involved in any real discussion, cos you're just a TROLL, and I am tired of your Sh1te.

You mean my annoying habit of pointing out idiocy and ignorance?
    care to make a positive contribution or are you jut gonna stick with the habit of a lifetime and snipe from the sidelines??

What kind of positive contribution could possibly made to this thread? What positive contribution have yourself and Kernel made to this thread? What can be said aside from "flat earthers are morons".

• Advertisement

Diogenes wrote: »
    There wouldn't be any curvature of the earth for starts.
    it would still look Disc like tho wouldnt it?

You mean my annoying habit of pointing out idiocy and ignorance?
    yes,if you mean the annoying habit of cherrypicking the most obscure points and blowing them out of proportion in a twisted logic that underlines the petty childishness of your posts, then yes.

how about you go and point out the Idiocy and ignorance of the posters in the Islam forum?

What kind of positive contribution could possibly made to this thread? What positive contribution have yourself and Kernel made to this thread? What can be said aside from "flat earthers are morons".

we could examine the deeper reasons behind their theories to garner a better understanding of why they believe the earth is Flat

rather than just calling them morons so you can feel smuginyerself

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

it's not about feeling smug, it's about people who think the earth is flat being morons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Skeptic_Desu

Not so much that they're morons, it's more they reject all science and logic willingly.

Edit: The humour of the fact the mod of the Discworld forum posted on this thread has just hit me.

So?
    yes,if you mean the annoying habit of cherrypicking the most obscure points and blowing them out of proportion in a twisted logic that underlines the petty childishness of your posts, then yes.

Mahatma, you mean like pointing out that the WTC7 core didn't melt, because it didn't exist? Or that six million Jews died in the holocaust, because "the jews" said so, but in fact it's backed up by reputable historians, and indeed senior Nazis. Or, oh christ. Just point out where I did the above, and cite examples. Or admit, I have a habit of making you look like an idiot, which annoys you.
    how about you go and point out the Idiocy and ignorance of the posters in the Islam forum?

because while I disagree with religion and religious philosophy I don't want to meddle in people's believes. I will for example, and have, argued on the Intelligent Design thread on the christianity forum. I don't dispute someone believing in a Supreme being creating live, I just have an issue with them fostering this issue in the science class room.

If you were genuinely interesting in plausible alternative theories, you'd welcome people pointing out the flaws in these theories. Instead you get in a huff when someone points out, for example, on your WTC 7 thread, the innumerable flaws in the "suitcase nuke" scenario.

we could examine the deeper reasons behind their theories to garner a better understanding of why they believe the earth is Flat

rather than just calling them morons so you can feel smuginyerself

Some people believe in things like aromatherapy, crystal healing, colour therapy, the MMR/autism "link", the apollo landings were faked, and flat earth "theories". They're idiots. As I mentioned I'm staggered at mankinds williness to embrace ignorance. I live in an reasonably well off part of my city, and yet on Saturday I had to pass two "alternative" healing centers, offering candle therapy and acupunture before I could find an actual chemist selling pharmaceuticals, that had genuinely been tested by reputable labs.

You yourself embrace some Neo Luddite, Year Zero philosophy because you don't understand economics. And refuse to do so, even in the face of people who patiently explain it to you.

I know why these people believe the world is flat, it's because they refuse to understand and refuse to think, and find it more comforting thinking theres some vast global conspiracy theory controlling them and everything. It makes the world an easier to understand place, for them, ironically.

I would suggest you read something like "how mumbo jumbo took over the world"

Flat-earthers are idiots. No further discussion is required. There is an old Italian saying which CT'ers really should take heed of:

'Ogni parola non vuol risposta'

Not every question deserves an answer.

Yes, a disc-shaped flat-earth would indeed look like a disc when viewed from altitude.

Any shape of flat-earth would, in fact, look like a disc when viewed from altitude, once one also introduced a "limit of vision" to explain why (for example) Mount Everest wasn't visible no matter where one was at altitude above (which it otherwise would be) .
    We could, if someone was willing to put forward those reasons. You seem quite opposed to the idea that these guys are easily dismissed as crazy, so maybe you'd like to tackle what is perhaps the easiest question of them all about a flat-earth theory...

No matter what way you lay it out there is no way in which a flat-earth can maintain all distances between all locations as an ellipsoid earth. Which locations that the globe shows to be adjacent are, in fact, not?

Incidentally a search on youtube for 'flat earth muslim' produces an amusing debate on Iraqi TV.

Just watched that 'debate'

So the Fundies on both sides believe that if it dosent say it in the Bible/Quoran its not real.

The bible dosent actualy say Flat tho does it, it refers to the sky as a dome, anyone know the quoranic reference that guy makes?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

I'm all for talking about this but it's difficult not to laugh and point at anyone who would believe the earth was flat.

meglome wrote: »
    I'm all for talking about this
    Me too. I've even asked some easy starter-questions to get the ball rolling.

but it's difficult not to laugh and point at anyone who would believe the earth was flat.

I find that not doing so is conducive to the whole "talking" bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭DubTony

"I came to realise how much we take at face value," he says. "We humans seem to be pleased with just accepting what we are told, no matter how much it goes against our senses."

I saw this quote and thought at least he'd said something that made sense.

Then I saw this quote and thought that Diogenes and Davis might have something in common.
    Diogenes wrote:
    Some people believe in things like aromatherapy, crystal healing, colour therapy, the MMR/autism "link", the apollo landings were faked, and flat earth "theories". They're idiots.

As I mentioned I'm staggered at mankinds williness to embrace ignorance. I live in an reasonably well off part of my city, and yet on Saturday I had to pass two "alternative" healing centers, offering candle therapy and acupunture before I could find an actual chemist selling pharmaceuticals, that had genuinely been tested by reputable labs.

Diogenes, I too am staggered. But mostly by the ignorance you portray in this post. I've never had a needle stuck in me that didn't have a few millilitres of some "genuinely tested by a reputable lab" liquid hanging off the back of it, but by denouncing acupuncture in this way, you're telling me that you're probably not as smart as you make yourself out to be. Good luck with those "real" drugs.

/troll

bonkey wrote: »
    I find that not doing so is conducive to the whole "talking" bit.

True but this one is totally ridiculous. We may as well tell some jokes and get some fun out of it.

no matter how ridiculous you find this, peoples beliefs (no matter how deluded they appear to you) deserve some respect.

Bonkey is right, also his fairly simple question blasts their theories out of the water in a much more polite and ultimatley more effective

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

peoples beliefs deserve respect?

you ever notice how it's people with crazy beliefs, with absolutely no proof, who say that?

I think bonkey is the best example of what I just said

some posters here will just fire a tirade of ridicule and abuse at anyone who postulates something they consider silly

Bonkey on the other hand is an example of how to do things right.

if you decry someones ingrained beliefs (no matter how Wrong you think them) they will become militant and defendtheir ideals to the end,

however if you are a pleasent and well spoken individual (obviously I dont fall into that bracket) then the power of logic and reason is against you, and I hope that it will cause people to reconsider their position

I know I've reconsidered a few things from conversations with him, but we have also gotten to a point of actual meaningful debate on some ocasions too, which will not happen if the initial exchange starts with derision and the OP taking a defensive position

BTW there are a few things which I BELIEVE he's wrong about :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Do you think the Earth is flat Mahatma coat?

*finger hovers over crazy alarm*

I think bonkey is the best example of what I just said

some posters here will just fire a tirade of ridicule and abuse at anyone who postulates something they consider silly

Bonkey on the other hand is an example of how to do things right.

if you decry someones ingrained beliefs (no matter how Wrong you think them) they will become militant and defendtheir ideals to the end,

however if you are a pleasent and well spoken individual (obviously I dont fall into that bracket) then the power of logic and reason is against you, and I hope that it will cause people to reconsider their position

I know I've reconsidered a few things from conversations with him, but we have also gotten to a point of actual meaningful debate on some ocasions too, which will not happen if the initial exchange starts with derision and the OP taking a defensive position

Okay I agree with you here but at some point there has to be a line drawn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

This is hilarious.

I think there are degrees of conspiracy discussed here ... this one is wayyy out there.

In some form of contribution to this thread, and I think its hilarious to even type it but, I believe the overwhelming balance of scientific evidence is not in favour of a flat earth personally:D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Kama

Indeed, if the Earth was flat, then Agartha wouldn't exist. Which is patent nonsense!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Bonkey wrong? Yerwha? Merits its own thread tbh.

Advertisement