Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

website check please?

Options
  • 05-08-2008 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭

im doing this for a friend, im no expert in html and css, but by using browsercam it seems to be ok in almost all browsers. with the exception of IE6

could some of ye guys have a look on yere browsers to check?
    its one long right scrolling site, with some flash videos and some text.

Thanks,
    SM

ohh and its www.paddygames.ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

I have a widescreen monitor and I see one and a half 'pages' through my viewport.

It may also be worth including a more user friendly way of navigating between the 'pages' than a big arrow with 'Scroll right' written on it. And alternate solution would be to float a menu somewhere so it will stay static and allow you to skip between the sections.

There is also a very large white area to the far right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Might be an idea to put internal links on the page and just have an arrow where the user can click and it'll jump to the next section.

i.e put an <a name=""> tag on each section... Then the user just has to click a button so it'll automatically scroll across.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭spidermonkey

Ya i know about the anchors, they kept dissappearing when they we're clicked, but i have to find the problem and include them, hence the temporary scroll left.

would it be possible to take a screen grab OEB?

thanks guys

http://www.slangofoill.com/screens

I wont attach them to the post cause I have them in full resolution (1680*1050) so you can see what I am on about. (This means they are about 400k each)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Why are you trying to re-invent the wheel (scrolling sideways) ?? Personally I don't like the layout of the site, I think you would have been better off with a normal easy to naviagate site that everyone is used to....

On the plus side I think Ireland really needs something like this....mite put myself forward for the 2000 meter crawl....:D

I would go back to the drawing board with the layout...

• Advertisement

drunk monkey, ya i knwo, ive actually be working on a propper version today.
    the reason for what it currently is:
    I had very little content to begin with, only a few scraps of information.
    the over the course of a few days more and more was sent my way, as a such with a proper job i only added to what was there(and added badly, i might add) anyway the code for the new one is pretty much done, should be up tomorrow i hope.

Thanks for ye're help lads.
    make sure to check it out tomnorrow eveing and give some feedback, its much better now, ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭spannerotoole

see my commercial webpages for ideas

www.landscapers.ie
    www.garveysinn.com

both of these use frames so people can easily navigate around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

www.landscapers.ie
    www.garveysinn.com

people need 1990's web tech to navigate easily?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,200 ✭✭✭MrVestek

www.landscapers.ie
    www.garveysinn.com

Wow they look so professional, especially garveysinn.com what with it being called Untitled 2 and all.

Both websites are horrible imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

www.landscapers.ie
    www.garveysinn.com

20 seconds wasted. (make the music stop pleeeeaase)

• Advertisement

tricky D wrote: »
    20 seconds wasted. (make the music stop pleeeeaase)

There's a midi playing on one of the sites? Jaysus... reminds me of the early days of internets where people used to make webpage with the likes of expage.com

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

www.landscapers.ie
    www.garveysinn.com

omg :eek:

That is dreadful - no offence. - Even Untitiled 2 as the page title - my God....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

www.landscapers.ie
    www.garveysinn.com

Ouch! Frames with no "reload nav" code, either :o

http://www.garveysinn.com/gar_web/aranislands.html

Hope Google doesn't find the pages, coz otherwise people who get to the site won't be able to contact the company!!

And - to further emphasise that the site is using early 90s "technology", what's the title of the frameset page ? "frameset".

I don't mean to knock ANYONE'S efforts.....I teach web design and am used to encouraging people from a poor starting point up to at least some reasonable standard, if not better

But calling those "commercial" pages on a web deisgn forum is asking for trouble.

As for the OP's "paddygames" site, I have IE7 at 1680 width, and there's a massive area of wasted whitespace in the middle of the screen; resizing the browser window loses the content on the right.

Whitespace can be a good thing, but not when another part of the same screen needs to scroll. Use the space.

Finally, problems with IE6 when using CSS are probably down to the double-float bug; if any DIVs are floated and have margins, add "display:inline" to the CSS code for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

This is not good for the Garvey name

cgarvey wrote: »
    This is not good for the Garvey name
    No not really. Please please please tell me that you didn't fork over any cash for that site cus if you did you were ripped off BIG time!

It looks like something my 12 year old brother cobbled up in Dreamweaver...

I just noticed, on the resteraunt pages the pictures on the pages are just resized to fit the page. This site is lazy, badly designed utter garbage tbh. Those pics must be costing a fortune bandwidth wise...

Thumbnails anyone?

Achilles wrote: »
    No not really. Please please please tell me that you didn't fork over any cash for that site cus if you did you were ripped off BIG time!

Pretty sure they're not related. cgarvey would do this site himself and properly.

tricky D wrote: »
    Pretty sure they're not related. cgarvey would do this site himself and properly.

I doubt it. The creator said that these were commercial sites, meaning he's getting paid. Not only that but he'd be in all kinds of legal trouble if he made that site for the hotel without authorisation.

The menus and stuff are in pdf format and looks to be very different from the design of the site itself.

Nah I reckon Garvey just made a bad decision when deciding who to let design the hotel's site is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Another webpagesireland troll?!

Achilles wrote: »
    I doubt it. The creator said that these were commercial sites, meaning he's getting paid. Not only that but he'd be in all kinds of legal trouble if he made that site for the hotel without authorisation.

The menus and stuff are in pdf format and looks to be very different from the design of the site itself.

Nah I reckon Garvey just made a bad decision when deciding who to let design the hotel's site is all.

I think you're misunderstanding me here. Garveysinn and cgarvey are not related. cgarvey is well capable afaik of putting together a professional site.

It just goes to show that the wild west snakeoil and shoddiness are still alive and well given the ease anybody can put together a website that 'looks fine and grand'.

right just uploaded the website,
    anyway it all seems to be ok, have a look in different web browsers f you can.
    havnt had a chance to full test it, but its was coded well this time so should be identical in all modern browsers.

thank lads!!

www.paddygames.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Looks 100 times better, I think your really going in the right direction now....

Savage looking site. In FF3 there seems to be alot of empty space forced down the bottom of the site (Scroll bars are needed even though there is no content there).

cheers for the positive words! It was the direction I wanted to go from the beginig, but content drives form and there was no content in the begining.

Cheers aswell about re white space that is a left over height from the creation of the layout template, must sort that later.

On another note does anyone one know how to have image rollovers in safari using the sliding doors technique? Aparently safari doesn't pay atttention to background-position in css.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Test your web design in different browsers over 50 here

http://browsershots.org/

Advertisement