Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water leaking from my nose

Options
  • 05-08-2008 9:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭

First I would just like to say that I am not looking for medical advise.
    I will go to the doctor myself eventually.

For about the last 2 months, about 3+ hours after I get out of the pool, my nose will start leaking!:confused:

It only happens after I've been swimming, so I'm not worried about any CSF leak.

I was just wondering have any other swimmers ever come across this?

My only guess is that the water is lodging in some sinus cavity ?!? (is there such a thing?) and coming back down later.

I know I could wear a nose plug to stop the water going up, but the leaks don't bother me, apart from having to keep a tissue nearby.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Wanders_fan

I swam in competitions and trained countless hours for years and often found this happened.I was told two things its small amounts (drop by drop)reaching your sinus as you breath,especaially if you breath with your nose as well as mouth,and filling it.....Or the more odd reason i heard was it was the pressure of the water on your head/sinus often dislodges fluids and snot that are trapped inside.

All in all its perfectly normal as far as i know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭paulksnn

At least someone else has heard of it, and I'm not going mad.
    I've been swimming for nigh on 2 decades now at least, and it only started in the last couple of months.
    Strange thing though, to have your nose, literally, run like a tap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

My problem is sneezing! Sneeze all night after a swim.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Nonmonotonic

Ahhh yes, fellow runny nose/sneezers! I get this all the time but there is no pattern, sometimes sneezing, sometimes runny nose, sometimes both. Like a high percentage of Irish people I have sinus problems which I believe is linked. Nothing like a chlorine flush to clean your sinus! Does actually seem to help though.

Advertisement