Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

battery light on ducato dash

Options
  • 05-08-2008 12:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭

I'm trying to figure out if my alternator may be playing up.

The battery light on my Ducato comes on intermittently and there seems to be no logic behind it. I can have driven a few miles with no lights, heater etc... and it will come on and won't go out for miles... other times I can drive with lights on, wipers on etc... and it stays out..

Any suggestions?

Chris

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

chrisblack wrote: »
    I'm trying to figure out if my alternator may be playing up.

The battery light on my Ducato comes on intermittently and there seems to be no logic behind it. I can have driven a few miles with no lights, heater etc... and it will come on and won't go out for miles... other times I can drive with lights on, wipers on etc... and it stays out..

Any suggestions?

Chris

Could be a loose connection if it's intermittant? Give a quick check to all the connections around the alternator/battery just in case. Could be a loose alternator belt either? You dont want it to become a permanent fault during a weekend away.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Hi,

Could be an old alternator belt that has gone hard and brittle, and this could cause it to slip on the vee pulleys. Classic telltale squeal on start up.

kadman

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭boyoh

Hello,
    Intermittent battery light often indicates a faulty regulatior,this may go on for months before your van breaks down.Might be worthwhile getting it checked out. boyoh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭chrisblack

Thought I'd post an update on this one...

I took the van to a mechanic yesterday, who tested the alternator for me ... charging away at 13.8v - which 'aint bad...

He suggested that there was a faulty diode in the alternator, resulting in the battery light coming on.

There was also a fuse blown on the circuit to the control unit - hence my control unit was not showing the alternator pumping in the power...

electrics!!!!!!!

Chris

Advertisement