Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advent 4211 - 355 euro - pixmania

Options
  • 04-08-2008 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,531 ✭✭✭

If you're feel like a gamble then this could be a bargain.

Pixmania are selling the rather excellent advent 4211 (read MSI Wind) for 355 euro with a 2 year warranty. For those not aware of this it's a 10" netbook/ultra portable laptop with an atom 1.6 ghz processor, 1 gig of ram and an 80gb hdd. This laptop is normally only on sale in PC World for 379 euro.

It's a good price and the extra warranty (if you buy the advent in pc world you only get a one year warranty) would definitely be welcome but i've had bad experiences with pixmania so be warned
    http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/1446450/art/advent/4211.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

If you're feel like a gamble then this could be a bargain.

Pixmania are selling the rather excellent advent 4211 (read MSI Wind) for 355 euro with a 2 year warranty. For those not aware of this it's a 10" netbook/ultra portable laptop with an atom 1.6 ghz processor, 1 gig of ram and an 80gb hdd. This laptop is normally only on sale in PC World for 379 euro.

It's a good price and the extra warranty (if you buy the advent in pc world you only get a one year warranty) would definitely be welcome but i've had bad experiences with pixmania so be warned
    http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/1446450/art/advent/4211.html

So the price diff is €24 before delivery costs from pix.
    And the alternative is to buy a laptop froms a bricks and mortar store in Ireland.
    Main diff. is 1 year warranty?

I'd still opt for the bricks and mortar any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Does anyone know if a 6 cell battery is coming out for the Advent?

Will one that fits the Msi wind also fit the advent?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Thirdfox wrote: »
    Does anyone know if a 6 cell battery is coming out for the Advent?

Apparently so.

Thirdfox wrote: »
    Will one that fits the Msi wind also fit the advent?

The advent is an msi wind with an advent sticker on it. So yes the battery will fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

I'm debating between this and the Asus 1000H (it has the 6 cell battery already) - 5-6 hours battery life! Probably more for my purposes (note-taking in lectures, no wifi).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭Doodah7

chump wrote: »
    So the price diff is €24 before delivery costs from pix.
    And the alternative is to buy a laptop froms a bricks and mortar store in Ireland.
    Main diff. is 1 year warranty?

I'd still opt for the bricks and mortar any day.

+1

Was looking at these yesterday. From research last night, it seems its wireless capabilities is strictly average. This is the dealbreaker for me. Anyone have any views on this?

According to other sites, Dell are bringing out a netbook in the US this month. Might be better to see what they produce...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,531 ✭✭✭savemejebus

The main reason i posted this was the extra warranty, which from what i've read has been a sticking point for some people.

With regards to wireless this has b/g. I'm personally not sold on the necessity for n in a netbook but to each their own. Dell will have to pull something special out of their hats in order to make a splash in the market now and from what i've seen (from the leaked presentation pics) their machines are seriously underspecced compared to the asus and wind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Cas2007

€266.46 (on https://www.pcwb.ie) without vat so is the advent 4211 €322 in pc world. I dont know if ill get this or the EEE PC 900A (the new one thats 8gb ssd and has the atom processor)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

You'd need to be vat registered to buy from pcwb.ie

well isnt that good for me :P then
    *edit * There sold out :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

Cas2007 wrote: »
    well isnt that good for me :P then
    *edit * There sold out :(

They're pal, they are.

:D:pac:

Anyway lads these little boyos look pretty nifty.
    What's be regarded as best in class?

• Advertisement

There sold out :(

www.sadtrombone.com

:D

lol im not stoping till i get my advent 4211 cheaper than the lot of you :P

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/laptops/0,39029450,49298046,00.htm

No Linux option and no 3g option are the only downsides I can fine with the 4211.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

I bought mine with 2gb onboard memory...

Its winging its way to me as I write this..

sunny2004 wrote: »
    I bought mine with 2gb onboard memory...

Its winging its way to me as I write this..

did you get it on eBay because if it has 2gb of ram somebody had to open it up and add it??????????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

did you get it on eBay because if it has 2gb of ram somebody had to open it up and add it??????????

There are a lot of sellers (not ebay sellers) who are authorised by MSI to upgrade the memory whilst keeping the warrantly intact.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

yes

If I buy this and put in some extra memory, is the warranty automatically void?

Also, to anyone who owns and uses one: is this laptop in anyway annoying or difficult to use because of everything being downsized? I tried the mouse and I'd say it take a little bit of getting used to, but does the small screen ever make things like using the internet, iTunes or editing software more difficult? Or do you just lower the resolution so that everything fits onscreen nicely?!

You can upgrade the memory without voiding the warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

You can upgrade the memory without voiding the warranty.

Do you know of any places authorised to do these upgrades. I have my advent for a about 6 weeks and its great but wouldnt mind upgrading the RAM and possibly the HDD if im bothered.

• Advertisement

chris85 wrote: »
    Do you know of any places authorised to do these upgrades. I have my advent for a about 6 weeks and its great but wouldnt mind upgrading the RAM and possibly the HDD if im bothered.
    Do it yourself, it's a piece of piss. Hard drive is a little trickier to get at and may void the warranty but seeing as the advent brand is owned by pc world then getting pc world to install it shouldn't void the warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Do it yourself, it's a piece of piss. Hard drive is a little trickier to get at and may void the warranty but seeing as the advent brand is owned by pc world then getting pc world to install it shouldn't void the warranty.

bring it in to techguys? not really mad on them but may drop in to them over the weekend and see what they say.

Well they would be the only ones I would imagine that would be authorised to upgrade it. Saying that as long as you don't have to remove any of those void stickers, how would anyone know you upgraded the hard drive? If it goes tits up and you have to return it, just open it up and slap in the old hard drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement