Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PID question , Strong 6155 box

Options
  • 04-08-2008 8:36pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have a strong 6155 box. I've read the FAQ, I am looking for an up to date list of all the channels available to me on FTA on a free to air box. I'd like to be able to enter in a PID value directly into the box.
    I'm looking to get Zone Reality and Zone Horror in but maybe they are not free to air, I have hallmark +1 and Diva +1 but i have read that Sci Fi +1 if free to air too. Can i get all these with a fixed position single LNB satellite set up.

I've been trying all kinds of searches and sometimes i can get a different channel, i.e. movies for men 2, but an over all list with these nPID numbers would be great.

I have The reality channel and the horror channel picked up on my scan, but they have no audio or picture, it this because they have changed to the Zone names.?

thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Lyngsat is a decent source for what's FTA (and not) on various satellites. Timing out for me at the moment but expect it to return shortly. You might need to update your transponder database. Not familiar with your particular model but many receivers have some sort of in-built editor while others are easier to update using a PC and downloading updated files to it.

I think the Zone channels you mention are FTA. Lyngsat will reveal all! Some channels seem to hop transponders so often you end up with a good few duds or audio only so rescanning regularly is a good way to reduce this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭biologikal

Zone Reality and Horror are both FTA.

Sci-Fi+1 was FTA a few days ago, but is no longer (was testing/switching transponder). Hallmark +1 and Diva +1 probably won't remain FTA much longer.

You should get all the channels on 28.2E and 28.5E with a single LNB. However, Horror is on one of the lowest power transponders, so if you have a smaller dish, and/or your dish and LNB aren't optimally aligned/skewed, then you may have problems bringing it in.

Another site is flysat.com - I prefer the layout/colours over lyngsat, recent changes are highlighted, and the radio channels are on a seperate page (and flysat also seem a bit quicker than the other sites at updating information).

Relevant page is here: http://www.flysat.com/28east.php

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

thanks for the help lads.

the quality on my dish is only at 50% --55% since all i did was bang it up and point it in the same direction as the other houses. I also have two joints on the cable from the dish to the receiver, but I use crimped type F joints everywhere and brought the final connection directly into the receiver. ( I used type F couplers from Maplins to join the connections, they are a simple looking connection, I hope they are not killing the signal)

I'll try the sites you guys recommended, I had already been on the Lyngsat site but I could not find the channels i wanted, I'm searching on Astra 2A, 2B and 2D at the moment, and i dont see them named on the Lyngsat site.

Also the numbers listed on the Lyngsat site, on the manual tune on my box, i have a PID option, and I can enter three numbers (5 numbers max). I'm assuming they are some sort of coordinates and that i could get them for Zone Reality and keep adjusting the dish till i get them.??

this is the box BTW

http://www.mondoplast.ro/index.php?pg=ft&id=1569

thanks again all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭biologikal

Stoner wrote: »
    thanks for the help lads.

the quality on my dish is only at 50% --55% since all i did was bang it up and point it in the same direction as the other houses. I also have two joints on the cable from the dish to the receiver, but I use crimped type F joints everywhere and brought the final connection directly into the receiver. ( I used type F couplers from Maplins to join the connections, they are a simple looking connection, I hope they are not killing the signal)

I'll try the sites you guys recommended, I had already been on the Lyngsat site but I could not find the channels i wanted, I'm searching on Astra 2A, 2B and 2D at the moment, and i dont see them named on the Lyngsat site.

Also the numbers listed on the Lyngsat site, on the manual tune on my box, i have a PID option, and I can enter three numbers (5 numbers max). I'm assuming they are some sort of coordinates and that i could get them for Zone Reality and keep adjusting the dish till i get them.??

this is the box BTW

http://www.mondoplast.ro/index.php?pg=ft&id=1569

thanks again all.

Quality will vary between channels/transponders, but that percentage is low, and is probably why you can't get Zone Horror.

I have 6 (six) connections on one line from LNB to receiver (LNB>DiSEqC, DiSEqC>WindowCable, WindowCable>STB), and when I checked it against a straight connection from LNB to STB, I couldn't detect any difference in resulting quality. If your connections and cable are good, then you shouldn't have an issue with them.

2A, 2B, etc, are listed in the "Beam" column in the link ethernet posted. In the link I posted, they are in the "Footprints" column.

What you describe about manually entering the PIDs should work, but I'd concentrate more on getting a better signal on the others first (80-90%+), as the missing ones should then start to come in on an autoscan, then fine tune (alignment and skew) by observing the weaker ones (Zone Horror).

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

ok the box says I'm pointed at Astra 2A, 2B, etc but since I started messing with it I can no longer get the BBC stations, just german stuff.

The angle is set to approx 23.8 degrees.
    So i bought a sat finder off adverts.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

You/re pointing at the wrong satellite, most likely 19E.

http://bytelive.com/wiki/tiki-index.php?page=How+to+align+a+satellite+dish

thanks for the link, I just didn't think that the box would show that i had 75% quality for Astra 2A, 2B, etc while it was pointed somewhere else.

hopefully the rain will have gone away tomorrow and i can have another go with my new gizzmo. the rain must ahve the Pros hearts broken here

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Yep :)

Stoner wrote: »
    the rain must ahve the Pros hearts broken here

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Advertisement