Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi leaders defend drivers who undercut airport buses

Options
  • 04-08-2008 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,298 ✭✭✭✭

More taxi ranks and a ban on picking up passengers at bus stops like in New York please.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/taxi-leaders-defend-drivers-who-undercut-airport-buses-1445979.html
    Taxi leaders defend drivers who undercut airport buses
    By Breda Heffernan
    Monday August 04 2008

TAXI chiefs have denied breaking the law as drivers offer to undercut bus services to Dublin Airport during the busy summer season.

They have defended the practice, saying their members are simply trying to generate business and make people aware that they can travel for less.

A number of taxi drivers have taken passengers from Dalkey, south Dublin, to the airport along the route made popular by private bus company, the Patton Flyer.

While the bus charged €7 one way for the trip -- raised to €8 from August 1 -- taxi drivers were offering to take customers for €6. The driver then fills up the minivan at various stops en route to the airport.

It is a practice that is believed to be taking place on several bus routes nationwide, but the Taxi Regulator said any driver who offers an "off-meter" fare is breaking the law.

John Usher, president of the Irish Taxi Drivers Federation, said plying for hire outside an authorised rank was illegal, but there was nothing in the regulations to prevent a taxi driver pulling up to a bus stop and making a person aware of how much they charge.

"We have a situation at the moment where people can travel cheaper in a taxi than on a bus. There are some bus services where you can travel from A to B cheaper in a taxi. A lot of taxi drivers are making people aware of that fact at bus stops.

"I wasn't aware that it was happening on any large scale, however. Taxi drivers are operating 24 hours a day and trying to generate business," he added.

Mr Usher added that there were "two sides to every coin" and that some private bus operators were approaching queues at the airport taxi rank and telling travellers they could bring them into the city for less.

"What's happening is that we are both competing for the business. I'm all for a level playing field. I don't want one side to have an advantage over the other," he said.

Trevor Patton, a former taxi driver and owner of the Patton Flyer, was bemused that some taxi drivers were trying to poach his customers.

"It hasn't affected us in any way. It's all about the consistency of what we're doing. If you're a taxi driver you'd have to be out there every day of the week doing that; you'd want to be committed," he said.

In a statement, the Commission for Taxi Regulation said a taxi which "stands for hire" at a bus stop is breaking the law.

"The taxi meter should be in operation for the duration of all hires undertaken in a taxi.

"Offering an 'off-meter' fixed fare per passenger is therefore a breach of the regulations."

- Breda Heffernan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

You really have to laugh at it all.

*The Patton Flyer (Oft discussed here) is breaking the rules on his route and they ask him about taxi drivers breaking the rules.
    *The Minister won't licence Mr. Patton for reasons best known to his minions in spite of him running a half decent service.
    *The Gardaí await word on why they can't stop Mr. Patton from the Ministers Minions
    *The Taxi Regulator tells drivers to "try harder" and when a few well equipped drivers do something halfway innovative to get people into cars, they tell us we are breaking the rules.
    *The Regulator sends out Enforcement Officers who issue fines to taxi drivers for innocent misdemeanors and bus drivers in provincial towns (well outside of their remit) and which makes one wonder quite if they know what a bus is atall.
    *Patton doesn't stop at all 16 seats are filled as he doesn't bother with big buses, only subsidized companies can afford them.
    *The punter can't find cabs at the rank as the Gardaí chased off the 234 cabs plying for 2 spaces on the local rank that the Council says is not it's job to supply and gets on the DART, shoves her bag to the bus stop and gets the 41B instead.
    *The punter travels home from the airport via all 32 counties in a Ford Model T and the Regulator apportions the blame to the Gardaí for the driver getting lost; that is, if you ever have the time to lodge a complaint through the lengthy forms they only deal with.
    *The Regulator then launches an annual report saying complaints are at an all time low so all is good.
    *The Minister agrees, as he grants Dublin Bus more airport buses only to not allow them to run as Mr. Patton is angry.

And they wonder why we don't have integrated transport? NObody knew who was running it all:rolleyes:

Meanwhile the punter misses her flight as all the squabbles continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

I think taxis trying to get work off aircoach stops and the like is a great idea. Offered a shared taxi or aircoach from Donnybrook at the same price, I'd go with the taxi as all the stopping round St Stephen's Green and Suffolk St. is tiresome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

If the relevant government bodies worried more about ensuring the rules were the right and proper rather than worrying about whether or not they were broken, we would have a better system and joe Soap would be better served by those enterprising individuals who are only too willing to offer a service.

In the meantime, if any cabbies want to pick me up from Dalkey at 5am on Monday mornings and take me to the airport for €8, I'll be outside Cuala:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

I see no harm in this as long as they don't rip people off

Whats the fuss about ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

This sounds awfully like the Taxi sharing rip off that occured about 10 years ago or so. At the time, the only taxi I could get home from town to Clondalkin was a taxi share which charged €6.50 each for 4 people. The usual charge for me alone was €8. So the taxi driver got €26 for what should have cost no more than a tenner and I would inevitably have to wait til all the others were dropped off. So here it is again, taxi drivers filling up with 4-6 people and charging €24-€36...OK it's cheaper for the individual but probably not as cheap as it should be. I'd prefer to see this type of stuff stay on the meter. By the way, €8 for the bus seems expensive, is it the same price all along the route?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

This sounds awfully like the Taxi sharing rip off that occured about 10 years ago or so. At the time, the only taxi I could get home from town to Clondalkin was a taxi share which charged €6.50 each for 4 people. The usual charge for me alone was €8. So the taxi driver got €26 for what should have cost no more than a tenner and I would inevitably have to wait til all the others were dropped off. So here it is again, taxi drivers filling up with 4-6 people and charging €24-€36...OK it's cheaper for the individual but probably not as cheap as it should be. I'd prefer to see this type of stuff stay on the meter. By the way, €8 for the bus seems expensive, is it the same price all along the route?

The taxi share thing was a whole different rip off. With this, people are paying less than the bus for the same journey. Buses aren't cheaper if there are 5 of you so why (in this case) would a taxi be. That said, I don't want to see taxi driver hassling people at bus stops either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

By the way, €8 for the bus seems expensive, is it the same price all along the route?

Yes it is. the fare is €8 one way, €14 euro return. It has just gone up from €7 and €12.

paulm17781 wrote: »
    The taxi share thing was a whole different rip off. With this, people are paying less than the bus for the same journey.

My point is that just because it is cheaper than the bus, doesn't mean that it is as cheap as it should be. They are making mnore money by charging each person a set fare, same as taxi sharing. Same thing, just less organised.
    Buses aren't cheaper if there are 5 of you so why (in this case) would a taxi be. That said, I don't want to see taxi driver hassling people at bus stops either.

That's the way buses always work. Taxis on the other hand are always more economical the more people there are in it.

My point is that just because it is cheaper than the bus, doesn't mean that it is as cheap as it should be.

True, classic economics in action, why provide a service for €5 and make a small profit, when people are willing and able to pay €7.

The other thing is of course, the taxi driver can then go off and do another route if there are no passingers, the bus company can't.

My point is that just because it is cheaper than the bus, doesn't mean that it is as cheap as it should be. They are making mnore money by charging each person a set fare, same as taxi sharing. Same thing, just less organised.

Would you charge less? Don't forget, this isn't legal, it's not an official service. I know if it were me, I'd do my best to profit from it.

• Advertisement

Would you charge less?

I would put it on the meter.

Don't forget, this isn't legal, it's not an official service. I know if it were me, I'd do my best to profit from it.

Well maybe that's where you and me differ. I tend to stick to the law and not try to rip people off.

Well maybe that's where you and me differ. I tend to stick to the law and not try to rip people off.

Careful now.

FWIW, I'm a software developer. You seem to be missing the point that what they're doing is illegal. It doesn't matter how much they charge, what they are doing is illegal. If you're going to do something illegal, you may as well profit from it. You can argue the ethics of the charge for this all you like. It is still illegal and anyone who is going to do something illegal, is going to do it for profit, not to be fair.

Careful now.

FWIW, I'm a software developer. You seem to be missing the point that what they're doing is illegal. It doesn't matter how much they charge, what they are doing is illegal. If you're going to do something illegal, you may as well profit from it. You can argue the ethics of the charge for this all you like. It is still illegal and anyone who is going to do something illegal, is going to do it for profit, not to be fair.

So what's your point? Wow, you're a software developer. If you read my posts, all I said was that it is the same as taxi sharing and is a rip off, to which you made a rather pointless comment about it being illegal anyway and that you would try and maximise profits if you were in that position. My point is that if it is illegal, they shouldn't be doing it in the first place and it should go on the meter.

So what's your point? Wow, you're a software developer. If you read my posts, all I said was that it is the same as taxi sharing and is a rip off, to which you made a rather pointless comment about it being illegal anyway and that you would try and maximise profits if you were in that position. My point is that if it is illegal, they shouldn't be doing it in the first place and it should go on the meter.

You're very sensitive about this. Chill. No need to go on a crusade because I replied to one of your posts. :)

My point is I'm not a taxi driver so I don't do it. Now, if I were a taxi driver would I? I don't know, I'm not a taxi driver. Now if this is cheaper than a bus, what is the big problem. As long as I'm not paying more than the bus it is good value as it'll most likely be faster. It is illegal so "cheap as it should be" isn't relevant. It will still be cheaper than the bus and by that logic is good value.

Advertisement