Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavy week ahead!

Options
  • 04-08-2008 6:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like there's a lot of stuff forming off the SW coast, big band of yellow and pink just touching Cork/Kerry now on Met Eireann's site. Lots more like that in the next few days - I think someone mentioned a few tracks heading our way. Should be interesting!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Yeah. Just watching that. Some heavy rain exactly where it is NOT needed at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

I don't think it is needed anywhere TBH. Just looking at the fields of gold today and thinking to myself if they'll survive the week. Hopefully it won't be too heavy or it will pass over quickly. Last thing people need now is grain price hikes.

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Danno wrote: »
    I don't think it is needed anywhere TBH. Just looking at the fields of gold today and thinking to myself if they'll survive the week. Hopefully it won't be too heavy or it will pass over quickly. Last thing people need now is grain price hikes.

Met are predicting downpoors that may lead to flooding during wed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭arctictree

Yep, last thing we need are more downpours. Farmers around here are looking for a few dry days to cut and save the hay but there doesn't seem to be such a spell coming....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

If the British Met Office are to be believed, this coming Saturday could be rather wet as well:

uk_rain_08080912.jpg

Brollies on the ready!
    Danno wrote:
    Last thing people need now is grain price hikes

I think any price hikes will occur regardless of weather Danno. The current economic climate allows those who normally rip off the famers to start ripping of the customer even more. If there is any excuse to put up a price, it will be used. If there is plenty of excuses to put down a price, it won't be used.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭nilhg

Danno wrote: »

Off topic I know, but its gas how the high food prices mantra gets accepted and repeated even when circumstances change

I think any price hikes will occur regardless of weather Danno. The current economic climate allows those who normally rip off the famers to start ripping of the customer even more. If there is any excuse to put up a price, it will be used. If there is plenty of excuses to put down a price, it won't be used.

Was it ever any different....:(

nilhg wrote: »
    Was it ever any different....:(

Unfortunately not. Rip off Ireland always was and always will be. :mad:

OT. UKMO has the possibility of some heavy showers breaking out later across Ireland, and particularly over the mid western region again:

uk_rain_08080618.jpg

Although there is every possibility that they could turn up anywhere due to the slackness of the current flow and the high humidity, contingent on surface heating later.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

During the weather on RTE last night after the 9PM news extensive rain was forecasted for the whole country for today, with lighting also forecasted for pretty much all of the country. There was also the risk of localized flooding.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Damomanye

Just had thunder to my south.Looks like something developing to my east. It might have been from that.Could be heading your way Oscar?

http://www.sat24.com/frame.php?html=zoom&xas=154&yas=170

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Damomanye wrote: »
    Just had thunder to my south.Looks like something developing to my east. It might have been from that.Could be heading your way Oscar?

http://www.sat24.com/frame.php?html=zoom&xas=154&yas=170

Indeed - looks like something is brewing. There are a few strikes after popping up in the last few minutes.

Right now where I am, the clouds to the west look nasty!

• Advertisement

According to TWO, thunder being reported near Doooooblin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Nothing here Paddy but there is an airport close by:pac:

Looking at the GFS and a convergence forms during the afternoon through the north midlands.

Snowbie wrote: »
    Looking at the GFS and a convergence forms during the afternoon through the north midlands.

MO and Hirlam as well are showing the possibility of a lot of rain to fall through the midlands this evening and tonight pushing east with the on/off rejuvination of the occlusion. I hope there will be thunder tonight over the midlands as I should be able to see the flickering from here!

more thunder here, that storm seems to be developing now on radar. A few strikes in my area too on snowbies detectors.

Just heard two cracks of Thunder here.

EDIT: Heavy Rain.

Damomanye wrote: »
    more thunder here, that storm seems to be developing now on radar. A few strikes in my area too on snowbies detectors.

Any idea of the frequency of flashes/thunder per min Damo?

iv seen no lightning only from whats on snowbies detector and just a roll of , kind of, passive thunder about one every 4 / 5 mins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Curse it! Why does Dublin never get the fun weather? Everything seems to miss us!

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Few red dots on met radar atm. Wish something exciting would come this way. Has been very dull here all day and noting has happened :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Confab wrote: »
    Curse it! Why does Dublin never get the fun weather? Everything seems to miss us!
    I guess you don't like the mist in our part of the world either.:)

• Advertisement

Torrential rain here at the moment and flooding.

EDIT: Just two pics of some of the rain. Its even worse now though!

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q3/Sierra_Oscar_2006/P1010217-1.jpg

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q3/Sierra_Oscar_2006/P1010218-1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I guess you don't like the mist in our part of the world either.smile.gif

Nah I do like the mist, gives an air of mystery to the place ;) It's just that both Howth, the Wicklow mountains and some weird force of nature seem to make some sort of forcefield around D13. not sure which part you're living in, but it sure feels like it here (Bayside/Baldoyle).

I see the Met Office has just stepped up its alerts in the last few hours - Northern Ireland is now on "Be Prepared" - three hours ago it was on "No Severe Weather".

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/ni/ni_forecast_warnings.html

Advertisement