Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird abandoned house on the road to Hook Head

Options
  • 03-08-2008 9:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭

Just after Miskellas shop on the way to Hook Head is a light orange abandoned house on the right. It has doors leading from the upstairs to some imaginery balcony, the house is probably twice as tall as it is deep...anyone know what the story is with it?????????
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Cant say i know the house tbh, any chance of co-ordinates taken from google maps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

wellbutty wrote: »
    Just after Miskellas shop on the way to Hook Head is a light orange abandoned house on the right. It has doors leading from the upstairs to some imaginery balcony, the house is probably twice as tall as it is deep...anyone know what the story is with it?????????

Loftus Hall??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

is that the real narrow one, I remember the balcony thing alrite

tis a dreary place out there, that place always lookedabndoned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Is that the "haunted" house? or is that Loftus Hall?

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

The coordinates are 52.154982, -6.897719

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

am actually from that area i can tell you anything you need to know on that house, owner etc pm me

mike65 wrote: »
    Is that the "haunted" house? or is that Loftus Hall?

Mike
    neither:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

minxie1 wrote: »
    am actually from that area i can tell you anything you need to know on that house, owner etc pm me

Tell us all. Just being nosey. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭chilli_pepper

Zhane wrote: »
    +1 , I am intrigued now

Zhane wrote: »
    loftus is haunted alright, remember one nov staying there with my mum and a guy called rick whelan (who actually made a film about the goings on there) was nov and were convinced we would see the ghost of ann tottenham who supposedly went a bit mad:eek: when the devil himself appeared there under the guise of a guest,,,, spooky stuff

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I remember that Rick Whelan film, he must have thought he'd made it after RTE showed it - like the Bacholor Farmers of the Comeraghs

Mike.

mike65 wrote: »
    I remember that Rick Whelan film, he must have thought he'd made it after RTE showed it - like the Bacholor Farmers of the Comeraghs

Mike.
    ya i know.. thought he would turn into some sort of hotshot???/
    hear hes still doing voice overs on radio, think he owns wlr as well.. mad film tho, have a copy he gave my mum

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭sam_mom1

so whats the story with the wierd house then??? its been abandoned for years!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭gamblitis

Probably just left there cos it wasn't liked.I don't like it myself tbh. And minxie1 ya hardly think loftus hall is haunted do ya? Yeah there was a film made n such but imho its just a little over the top. I head out to hook most weekends, handy being only 5 minutes from my house and there is always 3/4 cars parked outside it. There must be alot of suspicious visitors around fethard!lol

gamblitis wrote: »
    Probably just left there cos it wasn't liked.I don't like it myself tbh. And minxie1 ya hardly think loftus hall is haunted do ya? Yeah there was a film made n such but imho its just a little over the top. I head out to hook most weekends, handy being only 5 minutes from my house and there is always 3/4 cars parked outside it. There must be alot of suspicious visitors around fethard!lol
    two brothers like i said were living in it, one got back with the wife but heard hes since died, other built a newer house nearer wexford town.
    as for loftus yip the film was a bit over the top, but the place is def haunted, i worked there long enough to hear a few things....

Your gonna hear creaking anywhere! I used to work in a small pub in saltmills, used to hear all sorts of noises but it was nothing more than a draught or warm floorboards. Its just your mind thats telling you its a haunting because you've convinced yourself it is from the stories!

Your gonna hear creaking anywhere! I used to work in a small pub in saltmills, used to hear all sorts of noises but it was nothing more than a draught or warm floorboards. Its just your mind thats telling you its a haunting because you've convinced yourself it is from the stories!
    went to school with the girls whose family owned that place in saltmills...:)
    could be just the mind playing tricks but as you went up the small stairs in loftus by the kitchen (the nuns entry) there was a cross on the stairs every one used to jump over it........
    seemingly a few of the nuns died on exact spot(legend has it)
    and when loftus was being refitted as a hotel one of the owners nephews if my mind serves me right dropped dead at the same spot, and was only a young man at the time....:(
    you would always get the feeling you were being watched so to speak, i never went upstairs on my own anyway(scaredy cat).
    dont know why the government have not stepped in and done something about the place, surely its a listed building and its falling down in bits!!!
    its an awful shame:mad:

Yeah its a shame alright, some of the interiors like the stairs for example are priceless works of art!Just having them sitting there hidden away is so stupid!

Yeah its a shame alright, some of the interiors like the stairs for example are priceless works of art!Just having them sitting there hidden away is so stupid!
    i wonder has anyone ever contacted wcc regards to this???
    or as owner is still living do wcc have any legal rights to do anything??

I doubt it tbh. I'd say if they had any standing on it they would have acted already. I suppose it wouldn't cause any harm and ask them what the situation is on it. Interesting to see their response!

• Advertisement

I doubt it tbh. I'd say if they had any standing on it they would have acted already. I suppose it wouldn't cause any harm and ask them what the situation is on it. Interesting to see their response!
    quite true, so are you going to do it??:pac:

haha was nearly expecting something like that! Yeah i don't mind i'll send one off there now. Where ya from around anyway?Must be fairly close if ya went to school with the Walsh girls.

haha was nearly expecting something like that! Yeah i don't mind i'll send one off there now. Where ya from around anyway?Must be fairly close if ya went to school with the Walsh girls.
    celine walsh .... couldnt remember the name.... :p
    am from churchtown, just up from slade cross.. great place to live. :D:D
    living in galway now..... not the same tho!!!!:( keep me posted if you
    do contact them yeh.....:)

Ah kk I'm from Saltmills myself the mad spot that it is.I had to get way from it all. Somewhere quite so I went to dublin! lol

I emailed them just there, whether we hear back from there is another story.
    I'll be sure to keep ya updated on anything i hear.

Ah kk I'm from Saltmills myself the mad spot that it is.I had to get way from it all. Somewhere quite so I went to dublin! lol

I emailed them just there, whether we hear back from there is another story.
    I'll be sure to keep ya updated on anything i hear.
    sweet:)

Just got a reply from WCC,

"The property is a protected structure under the County Development Plan 2007-2013 Reference WCC 0692.

It is privately owned as far as I am aware, as it is not in council ownership."

So unfortunately its protected but nothing can be done about it.Well thats what i can make from it. Haven't read the article yet but i doubt it says much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 jessae86

minxie1 wrote: »
    hello there ! i am greatly interested in the house itself and the whole story behind it.. i have been gathering info and researching it for a while now.. one thing i noticed though is that there are No pictures of the inside of the house anywhere to be found, i have searched high and low, not even from when it was a hotel... why is this so?? Has any1 ever been inside Loftus Hall ? recently ? Is there anyway of getting inside the house for a lil look ? I have full respect for the property and the owner, but the curiousity of what lies behind the boarded up doors and windows is killing me !!!! HELP !!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

jessae86 wrote: »
    hello there ! i am greatly interested in the house itself and the whole story behind it.. i have been gathering info and researching it for a while now.. one thing i noticed though is that there are No pictures of the inside of the house anywhere to be found, i have searched high and low, not even from when it was a hotel... why is this so?? Has any1 ever been inside Loftus Hall ? recently ? Is there anyway of getting inside the house for a lil look ? I have full respect for the property and the owner, but the curiousity of what lies behind the boarded up doors and windows is killing me !!!! HELP !!!

Aint searched hard enough :p Someone posted up pics on Boards of the inside IIRC. There have been many a thread on this place.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Btw, how easy is this place to access if this caretaker chap watches it and apparently so do a lot of locals. People talk about the interior etc. but seems a bit odd.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭capedcrustacian

loftus hall is cool, so creepy looking, me andsome friends were inside it years ago, didn't see or hear anythin out of the ordinary there. have been trying to locate the grave of the priest that did the exorcism but to no avail.
    if anyone can shed some light on it i'd be much obliged:D

Advertisement