Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metro North Power Supply

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

or the new port in Balbriggan ...or maybe even only Balbriggan :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭Irjudge1

The new 110kV Station at Stephenstown is to serve Balbriggan which is on a knife edge by all accounts.

I don't know why they've applied for new planning. Maybe to do with the landowners problems ESB Networks have experienced so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

They put the pylons up for this a few years ago.

This will put the town on the same supply. As it is at the moment there are three independent supplies for the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    or the new port in Balbriggan ...or maybe even only Balbriggan :D
    Oh, is the harbor getting upgraded?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

Never understood how people could buy houses so close to this substation (correct terminology?) on the Balheary Road. Now they're gonna have a new high voltage line running over, or very near them. Hates that...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭ManAboutCouch

It also might have something to do with the East-West Interconnector (which will link the Irish and UK electricity transmission networks) which is due to go live in 2012 and will be making landfall near Rush.

The interconnector will link up with the Irish Grid at Woodland, Meath, which is to the west of this proposed 110kv line.

Details on the Interconnector here: http://www.interconnector.ie

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Oh, is the harbor getting upgraded?

A little bit north , Bremore Port and more Bremore Port , incidentally who told them that the Dublin Outer Orbital Motorway construction would be starting in 2012 and it not even in Transport21 eh ??

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭ManAboutCouch

Um, then again perhaps it isn't anything to do with the Interconnector.

Having actually read a bit on the Interconnector site I see that the connection from Woodland to Rush will be underground, and the cable will be HVDC, rather than the AC used on the rest of our Grid.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,298 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I'm not so sure - I imagine its much more to do with the population growth in Fingal.

http://www.interconnector.ie/projects/east-westinterconnector/projectactivity/#engineering
    UPDATE: June 2008
    Initial studies identify Rush Bay (North Co.Dublin) as the most suitable location for the cable to emerge onto land. The Marine survey has just been completed and we will assess the results of the marine survey and other studies before selecting the most feasible route.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,298 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Woodside (also know as Woodcockstown) http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=53.469146~-6.566563&style=h&lvl=13&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1 - about 2km west of Batterstown and the Navan Railway. :pac:

• Advertisement

What Navan railway Victor , the one Dempsey swore would be build by 2004 was it ???

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Um, then again perhaps it isn't anything to do with the Interconnector.

Having actually read a bit on the Interconnector site I see that the connection from Woodland to Rush will be underground, and the cable will be HVDC, rather than the AC used on the rest of our Grid.
    Yeah but under sea interconnectors pretty much have to use DC to avoid capacitive losses and also (I think) it's best practice to isolate each AC grid from the other using DC interconnectors to avoid a cascade failure situation as happened in the North East of the US/Canada. The DC must be inverted back to AC as soon as possible when it makes landfall to take advantages of the efficiency of HV overhead transmission.

Advertisement