Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Friendly Fires - Friendly Fires (debut album)

Options
  • 03-08-2008 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭

Anybody here listening to the Friendly Fires? The first time I came across them was when they supported Interpol in Dublin in December last year. Since then I have been eagerly awaiting their first long player.

They released their album last week and it is fantastic. Great techno inspired electro indie pop music.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

ja, I like so far. Remind me a bit of Hot Chip!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Was listening to them today for the first time and was impressed with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

There is a track on the album called Strobe which is very like Hot Chip. Probably my favourite track after White Diamonds.

This is their 3rd single/video release from the album. Jump in the Pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Just heard them on Today Fm there. How did they escape my attention? They sound great.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭reganovich

Wow, thats actually really good..cheers man

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭leiwand

got the album.thanks for the heads up . really growing on me with every listen.

gotta chance to see them and the foals play in a small club in munich on a monday night on november.will have to drive 400 km and stay over .is it worth it?

b

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭boosh_fan

yes. You won't be sorry seeing Foals

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

bruno72 wrote: »
    got the album.thanks for the heads up . really growing on me with every listen.

gotta chance to see them and the foals play in a small club in munich on a monday night on november.will have to drive 400 km and stay over .is it worth it?

b

I hope so but both are quality live bands.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭snazzy

I just won tickets to see them in Waterford with the Heineken Green Spheres crowd.
    Cannot wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

yeah same, I got those tickets. I don't love friendly fires but they're quite good

• Advertisement

Love this band and have been mad to see them again since I saw them live but Waterford on a Wednesday night?? Feic off.. What's worse is I won tickets to the Green Energy thing in Limerick for Rev and the Makers the day before, had no interest in seeing them. I wish FF could have been in a better location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Absolutely love anything I've heard by these guys - and yes, extremely Hot Chip.
    Paris and Skeleton Boy (particularly Hot Chip alike) are superb!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Our own wonderful Jape shares management with them I believe . He supported them in the UK too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Saw them on some NME tour supporting Glas*snooze*Vegas.

They were pretty good and very polite young men too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

I have been listening to their album for the last few weeks now and I am really enjoying it. One of those albums that I actually like most, if not all of the songs on it.
    I agree with the Hot Chip comparison as well, kinda similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

Fantastic album, love this band.

Dudess wrote: »
    Absolutely love anything I've heard by these guys - and yes, extremely Hot Chip.

I don't get the Hot Chip comparisons. Hot Chip are tame and more relaxed more often than not, and even their floor fillers like Over & Over and Ready for the Floor, though great songs, don't have the oomph factor that Friendly Fires have. Plus you can't compare the energy of the music nor live performances.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

I think the percussion element would be the thing that's the most obvious comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

Tuuuuuuune!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭ZWEI_VIER_ZWEI

Friendly Fires are really really amazing. However, I'm a bit bewildered by the comparisons to Hot Chip, they really don't sound anything alike to me. To me, they (FF) seem to have a lot more of a New York Dance-Punk feel to their music, combined with a polished, dense, lush, Kompakt inspired sound to their instrumentation. I've loved this band ever since I first heard of them, especially when I saw their name was a Section 25 reference :)

It's a pity that as a fairly mainstream band, they'll get dismissed by a lot of people who would otherwise be interested in them, their album, while short, is filled with killer songs, with no filler at all. It'd be impossible to pick a favourite, and just as hard to pick the worst song.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

Energy, Crafted songs, intelligent borrowing from the pop dynasty box of tricks. Majestic guitars, insistent grooves and solid rhythms make Friendly Fires irresistible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

quarryman wrote: »
    Just heard them on Today Fm there. How did they escape my attention? They sound great.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭madson

Being listening to them for a few months now, they have some quite good songs but i don't see the hot chip connection either.

The Aeroplane remix of 'Paris' is worth listening to

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

boosh_fan wrote: »
    yes. You won't be sorry seeing Foals

foals are fantastic! seen em a few times now

the friendly fires sound a bit... euro trashy? Know what i mean? sounds rubbish imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

riemann wrote: »
    :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭winking weber

Must check these out. they sound great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Got the album today - only got a chance to spin Skeleton Boy on the car CD player. Different version to the one I've been hearing on the radio/MTV2 - duller or something. Very annoying tbh...

Hopefully the rest of the album will live up to expectations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭winking weber

'Love Sick' came up on my shuffle yesterday and I've listened to it five times since.

Great song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Got the album today - only got a chance to spin Skeleton Boy on the car CD player. Different version to the one I've been hearing on the radio/MTV2 - duller or something. Very annoying tbh...

Hopefully the rest of the album will live up to expectations.

Yup..."acquired" a copy of this the other week and liked it so much I felt guilty ffor not buying it and went out and bought the CD. Not something I do much.
    Been loving Paris since I heard it late last year (check out the Aeroplane mix if you get a chance) and the whole album follows suit...barely a bad track on it. Skeleton Boy, Ex Lover and Jump in the Pool are stand outs for me.
    There's something so familiar about this band's sound and I don't know why (perhaps it's the Cure?)...I don't really get the comparisions to Hot Chip either...very differing sounds..the only similarities are possibly the lyrical styles and subjects.

Anyway, buy this album. Yes their stuff is headed the way of commerical daytime airplay, but so what....doesn't negate thje fact tha it's good solid music.

[edit] BTW just an afterthought about Skeleton Boy...it sounded so familiar and I couldn't think why. It came to me that the chorus sounded very like the chorus from Olive's "You're not alone"...see what you think.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQWmG44MLho

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

The Aeroplane remix of Paris with Au Revoir Simone (<3) on vocal duties is by far the better version. The album? A big meh.

Some great moments, and plenty of dull ones. Good potential in that band no doubt, if they can pull out more tunes like Paris and Skeleton Boy anyway.

Advertisement