Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on pistols?

Options
  • 03-08-2008 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭

Hi lads, I am looking for 2 airsoft pistols for my two nephews, possibly possibly sig p226, glock 17, h&k usp or beretta 92fs.

I would prefer if both were made by the same manufacturer, I am willing to spend about 100 on each one.

I had a look at the Irish sites, but I haven't got a clue whether to get gas, battery or spring?

What are my options, is there anywhere that does package deals, such as pistol, mask and ammo?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭kinkstr

Get them gas pistols, if you buy them springers or electric they will grow up to hate you. The kjw p226 is as far as im concerned one of the best all round pistols you can get for 100 odd quid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭monksavage

kinkstr wrote: »
    if you buy them springers or electric they will grow up to hate you.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭Rhinocharge

murph226 wrote: »
    Hi lads, I am looking for 2 airsoft pistols for my two nephews, possibly possibly sig p226, glock 17, h&k usp or beretta 92fs.

I would prefer if both were made by the same manufacturer, I am willing to spend about 100 on each one.

I had a look at the Irish sites, but I haven't got a clue whether to get gas, battery or spring?

What are my options, is there anywhere that does package deals, such as pistol, mask and ammo?

Firstly what is the age of your 2 nephews?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

Thanks for the info lads, the two nephews are 12 and 13.

I will be with them any time they're using them if you're concerned about safety?

I was just looking at the kjw pistols on an American site, they even deliver to Ireland.

I imagine there's a chance that I could be caught for vat?

Do any of ye order gear from th States?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

Yeah deffo get gas ones!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭conor-mr2

You would be better to order from one of the Irish sites to be honest.
    If something does go wrong with them then you have a point of contact that you can put a face on. Ive ordered A Mk23 socom from abroad before--Japan but not the States.

The KJW brandof pistol is a nice pistol. Gas blowback is especially nice. I would recommend them. I have a KJWorks M92 pistol. I got it from MIA in Blanchardstown. It is a very very nice pistol. I think Eirsoft in Broombridge also have them.
    My cousin has the p226 from KJW-- another very nice pistol. Get one of each!

HTH

Conor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭cherubaul

ordinarily i would recomend the Glock due to its simplicity of operation and maintenance. However in this case i will not given the age of the childrenin question the reason being Glocks have only a trigger safety and given childrens tendencys this means a much higher chance of dangerous accidental discharges. so on the basis of this i'd recomend a beretta M92f as it has a highly visible ambidextrous safety that will allow them to learn proper safety discipline and also keep them that bit safer.

Beretta 92F is definately your best options.
    Considering their age, electric pistols are also an easier option, easier on them & you. 2 pistols, 2 spare batteries & extra magazines, goggles, bb's, targets all for less than 200€.
    The Fps can be also up to 250. So the power will be ok for their needs.

Good luck with the purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Thanks for the info lads, the two nephews are 12 and 13.

I will be with them any time they're using them if you're concerned about safety?

I was just looking at the kjw pistols on an American site, they even deliver to Ireland.

I imagine there's a chance that I could be caught for vat?

Do any of ye order gear from th States?

Curious Murph, where are the guys(nephews) gonna use these? i.e. back garden plinking and so on, and why buy from the states and incur all the hassle of import duty and customs delays when you can get them here.

will i definitely get caught with import duties?

just thought i could get them cheaper off the net?

i have a sister in canada who could post them over as a gift?

they're for xmas, so i'm not in any rush.

we'll be using them in the woods and fields around my area, safe enough?

• Advertisement

will i definitely get caught with import duties?

just thought i could get them cheaper off the net?

i have a sister in canada who could post them over as a gift?

they're for xmas, so i'm not in any rush.

we'll be using them in the woods and fields around my area, safe enough?

Is this public land or privately owned?

public afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 14,472 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

public afaik

Your going down a rocky road, could bring the ERU down on ya if someone

sees ya, better off staying on private land or a back garden which isn't

overlooked, for your own good if nothing else

eru? are you serious?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,472 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Yes unfortunately, if the public someone running around with a gun what will

they think? Public land just isn't the place for airsoft, if it was we'd have

more sites, but its just a sticky issue that its best to stay away from, for the

good of the sport and the people playing it. If a member of the public

perceives what you have in your hand to be a firearm then according to the

law thats what it is, so the best thing to do is not let the public see you and

stay on private land :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

Blay wrote: »
    Yes unfortunately, if the public someone running around with a gun what will

they think? Public land just isn't the place for airsoft, if it was we'd have

more sites, but its just a sticky issue that its best to stay away from, for the

good of the sport and the people playing it. If a member of the public

perceives what you have in your hand to be a firearm then according to the

law thats what it is, so the best thing to do is not let the public see you and

stay on private land :)
    in before rew with his padlock

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

eru? are you serious?

Absolutely.

Airsoft devices look like the real thing. A member of the public certianly wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Its worth noting that if a member of the public sees another person with what they believe to be a real firearm and feel frightened as a result of what they have observed, then there is the real possibility of assault charges being brought about if the matter is reported.

A report to the authorities from a member of the public regarding the use of what could be perceived to be firearms will naturally bring about an appropriate response. In fairness you couldn't expect an unarmed Garda to investigate the use of what could be perceived to be firearms, you'd have to expect the appropriate response i.e the ERU or at the very least an armed detective. Imaging how much this could frighten your nephews.

Airsoft is a sport, this is worth noting. If you wish your nephews to become involved, why not have a chat with their parents and also have a further read of the topics on this site. You'll find there are some excellent facilities and you in conjunction with their parents could perhaps contact the owner of an airsoft site to see about the possibility of persons so young participating.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

i've locked this as it does seem to be breaking the charter and until an airsoft mod can review.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

Thanks RuggieBear for locking that.

As pointed out above, yes, using airsoft in a public place is both illegal and extremely irresponsible, it will not be ordinary gardai that are called to the scene, it will be armed gardai and in the worst case scenario, could end up with someone being shot (with a real gun).
    I'm not scaremongering here, but imagine if an armed garda approached someone who he believed to have a real gun, that personed then turned that gun on him, his only course of action to protect his own life is to shoot that person.

Skirmish at proper airsoft venue's only, for everyone's safety and for the good of the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

weeder wrote: »
    in before rew with his padlock

Oh, and next time I see someone doing this, they're getting a ban, annoying, pointless, immature rubbish on a serious thread.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement