Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DBoys Kar98K to Gewehr 98

Options
  • 02-08-2008 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭

Here's a few teaser pics of my project thus far, I had the whole thing roughly assembled to have a look at her and thought I'd take a few snaps.

The gun started life as a DBoys Kar98, which provided the essentials for a Gew98, the standard infantry rifle of Germany in WW1.
    th_95257_gew_98-2_122_620lo.jpg
    th_95263_gew_98-3_122_788lo.jpg

Some changes:
    • Lenght (obviously)
    • Straight bolt instead of the turned down bolt seen on the K98
    • Bolt handle recesses in the stock had to be patched, as well as the sling mounting point on the butt.
    • Funky 'roller coaster' rear sight

I did a botch job on my K98's barrel, so I had a spare brass barrell left over, the extra lenght of the G98 now means that it can take an extra long barrell (ie the barrel it came with, as well as the one from the K98, for those who are familiar with the barrel's in these they are made of two parts which slot together.) So we'll have to wait and see how accurate this baby is! ;) if at all :eek:

Its gonna be stained a dark walnut color, so that I can get it good and dark and try blend in the spliced in forearm section and the patches. The engravings have only have one run over and need another couple to deepen them a bit. And the bolt handle needs some tidying up.

th_94523_101_0204_122_472lo.jpgth_94525_101_0205_122_361lo.jpgth_94528_101_0206_122_598lo.jpgth_94530_101_0209_122_1188lo.jpg
    th_94536_101_0211_122_6lo.jpgth_94915_101_0212_122_160lo.jpgth_94918_101_0213_122_1055lo.jpg

Stay tuned! :p

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

I'll be watching this with great interest Croppy:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Very good, love the engraving.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Cheers guys! :)

Since the original post I got the rear sight in place, just have to make the slider for it now, also got the finger grips sorted out and gave her a good sanding.

Could I be the only person with an airsoft G98? :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

I've never heard of anybody else with an airsoft version of the G98 so I'd say you would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

thats bloody nice CB1798,forgive my ignorance on the subject but I never though they looked so realistic,are they pricey?,I would imagine something like these wouldn't be cheap but would make an excellent display with the added bonus for using them for airsoft,lovely project:)

• Advertisement

arnhem44 wrote: »
    thats bloody nice CB1798,forgive my ignorance on the subject but I never though they looked so realistic,are they pricey?,I would imagine something like these wouldn't be cheap but would make an excellent display with the added bonus for using them for airsoft,lovely project:)

He's interested! Quick fella's pounch on him! :p That K98 retails here in Ireland for €150-€160 (plus postage). They have them at Salute too. Check out the photo thread, I have a few 'aged' guns in there. I figure the 'real steel' are too darn expensive and a lot of hassle, so I'll settle for these airsoft guns for now, plus, they're great fun for shootin' targets! :D

As for this project, its still not finished, but moving along slowly, heres a couple of pics as she is now:

He's interested! Quick fella's pounch on him! :p That K98 retails here in Ireland for €150-€160 (plus postage). They have them at Salute too. Check out the photo thread, I have a few 'aged' guns in there. I figure the 'real steel' are too darn expensive and a lot of hassle, so I'll settle for these airsoft guns for now, plus, they're great fun for shootin' targets! :D

As for this project, its still not finished, but moving along slowly, heres a couple of pics as she is now:
    Ha ha lol:D,seriously that looks the business,I'm well impressed and the price has stunned me,does anyone know if there is any shop in Cork city selling these or mail order companies that you guys deal with,as Michael Collins said once "A west cork muck savage",I feel like I'm in the wilderness down this way:p,as my tommy display is coming along it would be a good way to add a No.4,so whats the range on one of these guys and the laws regarding ownership,is there any prohibitions to having one??,I bought a Mosin Nagant from Ryton Arms on Thursday,nice people to deal with but probarly more hassle than its worth as you said on the topic of real steel,again lovely piece,must get a look at this when shes done:)

Ha ha lol:D,seriously that looks the business,I'm well impressed and the price has stunned me,does anyone know if there is any shop in Cork city selling these or mail order companies that you guys deal with,as Michael Collins said once "A west cork muck savage",I feel like I'm in the wilderness down this way:p,as my tommy display is coming along it would be a good way to add a No.4,so whats the range on one of these guys and the laws regarding ownership,is there any prohibitions to having one??,I bought a Mosin Nagant from Ryton Arms on Thursday,nice people to deal with but probarly more hassle than its worth as you said on the topic of real steel,again lovely piece,must get a look at this when shes done:)

I'm not sure about retailers in Cork City to be honest, you can get this particular gun at either:

http://www.eirsoft.ie/store/product_info.php?cPath=38&products_id=215

or

http://www.mainirishairsoft.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=400

Postage is pretty cheap and there are no legal issues with buying airsoft guns within Ireland (as the retailers have to make sure they are under the legal power limit of 1 joule), ordering from some Asian retailers can be iffy at times as some of the guns can be over the limit. Best to support our own retailers I say! :D. The range on this particular K98 is not great at all, in fact its pretty poor, the barrell is a load of junk really, its 'ok' out to maybe 12-15m or so, but beyond that the shots are all over the place.

Unfortunately, for the both of us, there is no Lee Enfields readily availible in airsoft form, there is a company I believe, in the UK that make airsoft versions of the No4, but they cost about as much, if not more than a de-ac!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Ha ha lol:D,seriously that looks the business,I'm well impressed and the price has stunned me,does anyone know if there is any shop in Cork city selling these or mail order companies that you guys deal with,

Under the WWII section:
    http://www.corkairsoftshop.com

~B

cheers lads for the links,some lovely stuff there and some great prices,got a look at an airsoft k98 and a real one at the Kinsale living history show yesterday,very impressed with the quality,just a little polished which could be sorted quite quickly,its a pity about the No.4,could of added many of my own parts to it if I was able to get one:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,288 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Were you at Salute croppy?
    I think I may have met half the militaria and airsoft crowd without knowing it.

kowloon wrote: »
    Were you at Salute croppy?
    I think I may have met half the militaria and airsoft crowd without knowing it.

Yep, I was there on Saturday afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭tonky

Lovely work there, esp the engravings and "wear marks", I have a Dboys K98 and am getting a second one to modify similar to your project. I have the strip and distress part figured out, but how did you manage the markings ?

You are gonna have a go at a Gew98? Cool, keep me updated ;)

The engravings I did with one of Aldi's multitools, I got a worn out pointed engraving bit and basically ground it down to a very sharp point. Found a picture of a real G98 with similar markings/year etc that I liked and copied that. Obviously draw out the text to be engraved with a sharp pencil or fine pen and make sure you are happy with it before you start engraving.

Then, all you need is patience :p and a steady hand. As the metal is quite soft it doesnt take much to engrave it, but it also doesnt take much to make a mistake. Should you slip off the line or make a mistake, dont worry, just hit that area with something hard to make a few age dents and it should blend in :P.

I went with the trouble of making the 'roller coaster' rear sight, but if you didnt want to make that you could leave the K98 type leaf sight in place, as, in the early 20's the roller coaster was replaced with the leaf sight, identical to that used on the K98. Just cut/grind off the sight attachment on the left side of the sight base and you're in business.

Keep me informed, any question just shout! ;)

Should you slip off the line or make a mistake, dont worry, just hit that area with something hard to make a few age dents and it should blend in :P.
    Keep me informed, any question just shout! ;)

That is brilliant. True Marine style.
    Looking forward to starting it next week.
    Thanks,
    E.

tonky wrote: »
    That is brilliant. True Marine style.
    Looking forward to starting it next week.
    Thanks,
    E.

Did you ever get around to trying the conversion? My project ground to a halt a few weeks back :( .......... I'll get back around to it.

Got the Kar98 ok. Not a lot of time lately. Started strip, that's about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 redjsams

where did you get the straite bolt from

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 redjsams

im also thinking of changing my kar98k into a kar98b.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 FR73

Hi! I'm Josh I'm new. I'd like to say thank you for inspiring me to do a similar K98 conversion project!
    I found your post on the Dboys K98 mod about a month ago, and am now nearly finised with a rifle of my own. I began by stripping out the metalworks of a Dboys K98, and then pawned the wood stock off to a friend who wanted one for his K98. I then turned round an bought an actual GEW98 stock off a guy in Florida for the low low price of $100 American. As soon as it got to me I set to work with a dremel, some files, a chisel, rubber mallet, and sandpaper. I worked feverishly for weeks, and tonight got everything to fit. The only thing I needed to lengthen was the barrel. I took the original barrel and measured it to a new length of 660.4 millimeters. (26 inches) then took both end pieces off the original barrel, ordered a piece of aluminum tube to that specification, and had the two ends welded on to the new tube. Now, all I need to do is straighten the bolt handle and acquire tubing to make a new inner barrel. Thats why I'm writing to you, good sir. If you could be so kind as to lend advice on how to straighten the bolt, and knowledge of a source for tubing to match the inner barrel piece, I would most grateful. I would also be most interested in knowing the attributes of the straightened bolt handle especially if it works well, Since my Dad insists that there is no strength in the bolt once the handle is straightened. i.e It will break off. If you could reply back with much wisdom to help finish this superb undertaking, It would be VERY much appreciated.

Greetings, Joshua Zephirin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Kaiserjaeger92

Hello! I'd like to do the same thing, but I don't know how to straighten the bolt! Could you give me a tip?
    Fantastic job however! I'm going to be a ww1 softgunner, but there are so few weapons of that period, just some handguns (colt 1911, luger p08, mauser c96) and very expensive rifles (SMLE, Springfield) or SMGs (MP18 and BAR). That's why I think modifying a not-so-expensive kar98 is a great solution!
    Thank you!

Advertisement