Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do we stand?

Options
  • 02-08-2008 5:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭

Hi all, as i have on other occasions said on this forum, i was thinking of getting rid of sky, firstly i was only going to cancel multi-room and maybe 1 or 2 extra subs like news and lifestyle & culture, but after ringing to ask if i got rid of multi-room and then upgrade to sky plus for the €49 euro offer, and being told that it was only for new customers i have totally had it with sky no way am i paying €149, i am with them 5 years and a new customer can get a better deal than me on first contract, i AM now going to get rid off them totally.

However my son who is working and living at home is not a happy camper over my rather irked solution, and he wants to keep sky, he was wondering if i cancel and then he signs up under his name with new bank details even though the address is the same technically he is a new customer, would he get the new deals on offer.

many thanks.

voyager
    Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭Brolly

I just did that last week. Not a problem. Just take the old dish down and take the box out and put them away. Leave the cables and the dish holder up. The installer said they don't care as long as its not in the same name as before!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭voyager

Thanks for the reply brolly, did you go through sky or a local installer, also even though its the same family name, as the first name and direct debit details are different am i right in thinking he would be ok, personally i would not care if i ever see sky again, am thinking of going for a freesat hd box for the main sitting room.

voyager

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Of course if you fraudulently take advantage of an offer you can be charged a full price later.

WATTY WROTE;
    (Of course if you fraudulenty take advantage of an offer you can be charged a full price later.)

HOW DARE you watty accuse someone who has a legimitate reason for leaving sky of dishonesty, you are a very poor mod indeed and a very insulting person to boot,
    the question i posed is real and honest it describes my circumstances exactly.

I believe an apology is in order in this case as you are totally out of order, as a member of these boards i believe i am entitled to ask and recieve answers to my HONEST situation, espically if someone else in the same situation can advise me.

So again i ask (honestly)
    As i have on other occasions said on this forum, i was thinking of getting rid of sky, firstly i was only going to cancel multi-room and maybe 1 or 2 extra subs like news and lifestyle & culture, but after ringing to ask if i got rid of multi-room and then upgrade to sky plus for the €49 euro offer, and being told that it was only for new customers i have totally had it with sky no way am i paying €149, i am with them 5 years and a new customer can get a better deal than me on first contract, i AM now going to get rid off them totally.

However my son who is working and living at home is not a happy camper over my rather irked solution, and he wants to keep sky, he was wondering if i cancel and then he signs up under his name with new bank details even though the address is the same technically he is a new customer, would he get the new deals on offer.

many thanks.

voyager

• Subscribers Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭Brolly

Re: my post in the original thread created by voyager

Just want to point out to the mods that I had sky in my name and I cancelled a month ago as I am moving out. My parents got a new Sky sub in the house since - thats how we got the new customer offer. I told sky all this when ordering for my parents and they said they didn't have an issue with that.

• Advertisement

Thanks for your reply brolly and your HONESTY.
    I would appreciate any other info in this area from other board members.

voyager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

voyager wrote: »
    WATTY WROTE;
    (Of course if you fraudulenty take advantage of an offer you can be charged a full price later.)

HOW DARE you watty accuse someone who has a legimitate reason for leaving sky of dishonesty, you are a very poor mod indeed and a very insulting person to boot,
    the question i posed is real and honest it describes my circumstances exactly.

I believe an apology is in order in this case as you are totally out of order, as a member of these boards i believe i am entitled to ask and recieve answers to my HONEST situation, espically if someone else in the same situation can advise me.

LMAO

You are asking if you can fraudulently avail of a Sky offer that is available for new customers only. This does not allow you to have multiple new accounts at the same address. If anyone should be apologising it is you for your pissy outburst.

Ah the great mossy monk and his useless reply, boy you guys really stick togeather, lads please stop having these paranoid episodes and accept that some people are in fact honest, you must look on the bright side sometimes, i am asking an honest question, if i cancel sky because of my poor treatment as a long term customer, can another person who wants to deal with them, all be it at the same address avail of their services and offers, now come on lads get it togeather.

There must be more honest people like myself and brolly out there.

If the answer is no then ok its no problem, but if its yes then my son would like to avail of it.

voyager :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

the domestic sky contract is between an individual person and sky.. Not an address and sky.
    If this persons son is taking out a subscription, is the son not to be viewed as a new customer.. Thus an entitlement to the benefits of a new subscriber ?

Ah the great mossy monk and his useless reply

Aw shucks, you have gone and made me blush :o. Funnily enough I could have said the same about you and your new thread but I guess I am not down at your level.

If you have been unable to accept that what you are doing is against Sky's rules then what hope has anyone of giving you the answer as being no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭mandandpeter

I believe your son would be classed as a new customer, thus he would be entitled to the promotions. If this is not the case then I would go to the local paper or radio and telling your story because as pa990 said the subscription is for the person and not the address.

Not true. When I cancelled my Sky account at my mothers address she could not take advantage of the new customer deal.

Thanks mossy for your helpful reply.

As brolly said in an earlier post it was ok for him.

As i say if its against the t&c`s ok, but if its not then i think my son should be entitled to avail of any offer going as a NEW subscriber.

look guys this seems to be getting personal for some reason, have you shares in sky,everyone take a deep breath, i just need to know before i commit myself to canceling where we stand on what we want to do.

voyager

as i say if its against the t&c`s ok, but if its not then i think my son should be entitled to avail of any offer going as a NEW subscriber.

Why don't you have a winge with Sky if you are so sure.
    and while i am glad you admit you are down a level, i can assure you its well, well below mine.

You really are a charming one aren't you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

By new customer sky's definition really means a different household not a different family member at the same address so technically your son would not be entitled to the special offer. Having said that if you are going to cancel regardless I'm sure they would be glad of the new business.This issue arises frequently as sky do not seem to want to spend a little money keeping existing customers, they would rather spend much more on new ones.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Tony thank you for your helpful reply, thats exactly the kind of clear informative answer i was looking for, why other people take the long way round is beyond me.

Mossy if i ring sky it wont be for a winge, it will be to discuss my situation and to relay to them why i am canceling and what options my son has as a new subscriber, my god an earlier reply like tony`s would have been more useful than the tripe you first came out with.

Tony thank you for your helpful reply, thats exactly the kind of clear informative answer i was looking for, why other people take the long way round is beyond me.

Mossy if i ring sky it wont be for a winge, it will be to discuss my situation and to relay to them why i am canceling and what options my son has as a new subscriber, my god an earlier reply like tony`s would have been more useful than the tripe you first came out with.

Tripe like the answer to your question? I am done conversing with you.

Ah at last something positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Your welcome.In fairness to Mossy your initial reply to him was not entirely courteous,(not taking sides here) just my two cents. Hope it works out for your son

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It's up to Sky in the end.

I'm not accusing ANYONE of dishonesty. Just pointing out possible consequences of getting too "clever"

I'm only obliged to point out that if people actually lie or omit truth to get a special offer Sky is legally entitled to charge a full amount.

I've had good deals from ringing Sky including a new Digibox. But I didn't need to get someone else in the house to be "taking a new account".

Sure I'd like I 49 Euro HD box instead of a full price, but at the end of the day it is at Sky's discretion. No-one is actually legally entitled to such a discount other than those Sky offer it to.

[merge]
    No-one is accusing you of being dishonest.

If your son wants Sky let him order it.

Charge him rent and tell the post man it's 117b not a 117 baker st.

We don't set Sky's policies. It's on their website and offer sheet clearly.

Open another thread on this at your peril :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I reckon that when you go ahead to cancel, and get as far as the Cancellations Department, they'll be asking why you're leaving. At this point state that you're leaving coz of the offer for Sky+ that you can't avail of, and feel disgruntled as an existing customer. It's highly possilbe that they'll offer you the Sky+ €49 deal, just to keep you as a customer.

If not, you'll get into a problem. Since you're using Sky Multiroom, your phonelines are connected. So your son can't use a diffferent number (mobile number is no good for multiroom). They DO cross reference the phone number of new customers. Somebody I know tried that, and when Sky referenced the phone number, they refused connection saying that the subsidised offer was already availed of at that address.

Not saying that scenario will happen to you, just be wary of it.

[merge]

If you start another thread on this, a ban will ensue.

Hi tony, your opinion from the earlier posts is appreciated and i have no problem offering mossy or watty an apology, but to be accused of being dishonest is not a nice thing, i want to cancel sky because of their failings in my eyes, and because my son over the years has followed some shows with interest he wants to subscribe himself, i certainly will not pay for him as he`s a working lad and as such if there`s a new sub coming into the house it should be in his name under a new contract.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement