Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quoting Prices - What should I charge

Options
  • 02-08-2008 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭

While I'm not a designer anymore, I was recently asked to overhaul a website given that I used to dabble with design and proceeded to put in a bit of effort integrating a Wordpress CMS into the site and basic SEO techniques which have already shown great results.

The only problem is that I haven't yet agreed a price with them as this is to be discussed before the site is officially launched. I'm now researching what is the general going rate for such a job, is it based on an hourly rate or on the quality?

I'd appreciate it if any designer could throw out a ball park figure.

Old site | New site

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

AdMMM wrote: »
    is it based on an hourly rate or on the quality?
    Combination of both. Hourly/daily rate and how much you think your hour or day is worth.

No easy answer to the second part of that. Are you worth €10/hour or €50/hour ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Well it's nice to see that they had the brains to get that site redesigned, it was godawful!

Are you aware of the charge for the original design btw?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Thanks for the feedback.

I launched the site as a WIP because I was under pressure to complete it and it required some live testing. All of the information from previous incarnations of the site was already implemented, so visitors weren't actually finding less information on the site. I also needed some feedback from friends I know, so I figured a soft launch would a) allow me to receive feedback for the site and b) inspire me to put more effort into the project.

The original design was more than adequate, in fact at the time I think it was the best in the country, but as the company grew in size, it became apparent that the site didn't meet the needs of a now much larger company. I was chosen to do the work because of previous experience with designing and because I have a close relationship with the company in question. Given my close relationship with the company in question, I feel compelled to under-represent the effort put into the project, a point touched upon by Sully.

At the end of the day, I've integrated an open source solution which didn't pose the greatest of challenges but I feel is more than required to meet the companies requirements now and into to the future. I would automatically assume that this is a sub-1k project simply because my actual line of work commands only minimum wage.

Would €800 sound about right, or would they be getting the better part of the deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭DJB

Hi,

1. You should always agree a price before starting a project. It saves so much hassle.

2. Sully, was that explanation about the client really needed?

3. I hope you haven't given the client access to stats and they come across this post from referrals list. They might not like being discussed openly on a forum like this.

4. How many hours have you worked on this project... total up meetings, research, coding, design, testing, etc. Everything that you have put in. I'm guessing at least 40 hours? Whatever that figure is, multiply it by an hourly rate. I've got about 30-40 in my head.

It's a good site by the way. Nicely done.

Rgds,

Dave

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

DJB wrote: »
    Hi,

1. You should always agree a price before starting a project. It saves so much hassle.

Agreed - 100%. I think in the OPs case, it might be a little different as he works for the client outside of the website also. Id be more concerned its going to be wrote of in a "wage" rather then a set fee!
    2. Sully, was that explanation about the client really needed?

For two reasons, yes.
    - My company name was listed at the end of the old website, and if people are commenting about how poor it was, I felt the need to respond to point out it was not a fault of my own companies, more so the clients. This was done to protect my companies name, and if you were in the same position you would more then likely do the same. I understand your point though :)
    3. I hope you haven't given the client access to stats and they come across this post from referrals list. They might not like being discussed openly on a forum like this.

Ya, probably might be advisable to remove both links. The client is a member of Boards.ie.
    4. How many hours have you worked on this project... total up meetings, research, coding, design, testing, etc. Everything that you have put in. I'm guessing at least 40 hours? Whatever that figure is, multiply it by an hourly rate. I've got about 30-40 in my head.

That could work out very expensive though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭swordsinfo

so what did ya charge them in the end - im beinging to free lance now and still dont know how much to charge I have 399 as my basic cost but add hosting on to this. Am I under selling myself - Im a coder and a designer so i know the best of both worlds but to find an exact figure seems difficult to find

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

swordsinfo wrote: »
    so what did ya charge them in the end - im beinging to free lance now and still dont know how much to charge I have 399 as my basic cost but add hosting on to this. Am I under selling myself - Im a coder and a designer so i know the best of both worlds but to find an exact figure seems difficult to find

Depends how good your work is tbh. Some designers can charge higher prices as their quality of work is excellent and others cant. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭swordsinfo

heres a link to some of my previous work plus the site itself as an example of my work let me know what you think - im freelancing so dont think I can charge too much without backing it up with big site names

http://www.swordslife.com/

thats the site link and below is the design section that has some of my work
    http://www.swordslife.com/design.asp

let me know stanrard and pricing you think I should be at

Advertisement