Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beamer 3 powerkite - Beginner

Options
  • 02-08-2008 4:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I am getting a kite in the next few weeks. It will be my first powerkite.

After reading other forums the beamer 3 (3 metre) is recommended as there will not be enough power to really jump or anything.

I would prefer to really learn the ropes anyway before jumping as I would need to feel confident in my ability to control the kite. However jumping is something I will be aiming for.

Would the 4 metre be too much though?

I would probably have to upgrade after a relatively short time as I know it will not take me too long to get the hang of this.

I also prefer the yellow colour scheme on the 4.0 metre one :)

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Beamers do not create enough lift to jump with. They are good beginner kites though - tough, well made, affordable, plus they come with everything you need (kite killers, ground stake, lines, handles, backpack, sticker, instructions, dvd).

Go with the 3m if you're new to kiting. There are better 4m kites out there that you'd want once you're more experienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭wideangle

The smaller the kite the stronger the wind,the bigger the kite the lighter the wind.So basically the 3m can be flown in a stronger wind than the 4m can...go with the 3m!!We're heading towrds the winter fast!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

wideangle wrote: »
    The smaller the kite the stronger the wind,the bigger the kite the lighter the wind.So basically the 3m can be flown in a stronger wind than the 4m can...go with the 3m!!We're heading towrds the winter fast!!

Ok. Now to find someone selling a beamer 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 captainfuture

Have a look on ebay.co.uk, they currently have some on offer for "buy now".
    Or for example shops like www.powerkiteshop.com or www.kiteworld.co.uk have them on offer at the moment for around 120 EUR for the 3m plus shipping.

Otherwise there's plenty of online shops in the UK that ship to Ireland; It's worth asking if you could get a good price cheaper than on their websites - from my experience they are always open to bargain a bit, so you might be able to even save a few quid there as well.

I think you can't go wrong with a beamer for a start, as mentioned in my reply to your other thread the required size depends on your weight as well;
    A friend of mine is 12 stones and the 3m is just the right size for him I find, I am 14 stones and I had the feeling I would need it a size bigger maybe for average winds.

On second thoughts maybe this would be a good beginner kite for me http://www.extremekites.com.au/news/general/peter-lynn-50m-synergy-20080726345/

:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 captainfuture

This one's an option as well:
    http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1380/1130935662_6ef3290c9d.jpg?v=0

Powerful like a bear and a guaranteed attraction :p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

So where does everyone go for kiting?Are there meets up on the east coast?Over on streeda strand in Sligo a few weeks ago watching kite surfing - really put me in the mood for getting a kite to move onto kiteboarding on sand - have a good bit of boarding experience,skate,wake,snow

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭wideangle

http://www.kitingireland.com
    Has all the info ye need plus more.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 peteretep

good advice on here. 3m is a good size to start on for most people.
    one thing you might want to think about is do you want to ride on a bar or handles. a bar might be better to get used to if you want to get into kitesurfing or onto depowerable kites, but handles will give you more control over the kite and a better idea of how the whole thing works.

paddy that was probably me you saw out in streega, its a great spot, one of the many great spots around the area!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Do you guys just go out and kite without any extras or do you get a beachboard for skidding along a beach with? I've got a 2m 2 string kite and it can drag me a wee bit along a gravelly surface but I'm considering a larger meatier kite with four lines to stop me from getting into orbit. Seriously considering one of those 4 wheel skateboard type things for some skiddling about in though.

• Advertisement

well i mainly kitesurf - it is my job after all!
    the buggies and boards are great craic and great for your kite skills if you do eventually want to move onto kitesurfing. Do you fly your 2m on handles or on a bar? you would be better to ride it on a bar for kitelandboarding, or else 4 line handles. The great thing about kiting is its impossible to get bored - if you grow out of just flying then you can move onto some of the more serious traction activities like landboarding, bugging or kitesurfing.
    One thing you will need with a landboard or buggy is safety gear - a helmet at the least and you can also consider kneepads, wristguards and some arse padding. the ground hurts much more than the water!
    If you are buying kiting equipment, think about buying locally. There's a few kiteshops in the country (including my own shop, lsdkiteboarding.com) and you can ask for help setting up, etc and you know where to go if you do have a problem with the gear.

peteretep wrote: »
    good advice on here. 3m is a good size to start on for most people.
    one thing you might want to think about is do you want to ride on a bar or handles. a bar might be better to get used to if you want to get into kitesurfing or onto depowerable kites, but handles will give you more control over the kite and a better idea of how the whole thing works.

paddy that was probably me you saw out in streega, its a great spot, one of the many great spots around the area!

What do you think of starting with the 4.0 metre one?

I wouldn't. A 4m kite is really quite big. These things can easily kick your ass.
    If you start out with one kite you will want to use it all the time, even when its pretty windy - if you have a small one to start with you can use it more - not so powered up when its not that windy for learning on and then when you get the hang of it you will be sorted for a high wind kite.
    If you get a big kite first, you will be lit up in the light winds and way overpowered in the heavier stuff.

I just got the new peter lynn hornet 3m in for a customer, it looks like a great beginner kite and I certainly wouldn't go any bigger than that for a first kite.

Eventually you will want a quiver - small kite and a big kite, or else small, medium and large.
    Depending on your weight a 2m or 3m kite is grand for starting on, but they can still kick you about the place so be careful. If you like it then you can get a bigger kite like a 4m and then if you really want the light wind land performance get an 8m :eek: or something.

You have to consider that these bridled foil kite are much more powerful per meter than a kitesurfing kite, and you don't want as much power on the land.

Hmmm having trouble finding anywhere I can get this kite for a good price. All the UK stores are looking for 30 pounds postage!

Seem to be able to get a price of about 110 or 112 euros but the postage is a killer. I'll keep looking though.

peteretep: Could you get it to me for this price?

Regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 squeeba

sorry what size kite is that a price for? and we'll get you a price

eamon
    www.LSDKiteboarding.com

I actually ordered it before your post thanks.

I had it out today for the first time. Took me a while to set it up...loads of wind and lots of rain. When I finally had it setup the wind had calmed down and there was little.

I was able to take off but as soon as it started climbing it would turn over to the right, fall and crash. Not sure if it was the conditions or my control. I tried pulling the left handle to turn it back with no joy twice.

I packed it up again then as I had the same experience with a cheap delta kite before and never figured out what the problem was.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 squeeba

chances are its not setup correctly. is it a 2 line kite? Once again be sure the wind is LIGHT for your first few months flying. Maximum 15mph. If its anymore than that and without experienced tuition be prepared for hospital bills. On that note look into insurance too. this can be got from www.sportscoverdirect.com or www.iksa.ie

a number of things to help with the problem, assuming its a 2 line kite:
    1/ lay out your lines, be sure they are of equal length
    2/ check the bridle of kite and make sure its not tangled or knotted in any way.
    3/ if its not 1 or 2 its pilot error!

Also be careful to never get a knot in your flying lines!
    And be sure never fly the kite with people downwind (in front) of you...

feel free to mail me on eamon [at] LSDKitebarding.com should you have any more questions or need advice...

have fun
    eamo

Advertisement