Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Announcement: The Cattle Raid of Cooley webcomic

Options
  • 01-08-2008 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

You may be interested in a new webcomic which begins serialisation on my blog on Wednesday 6 August - The Cattle Raid of Cooley, an adaptation of the ancient Ulster Cycle epic Táin Bó Cúailnge, in which queen Medb of Connacht invades Ulster to steal a fertile stud bull, and only Cú Chulainn, the king of Ulster's teenage nephew, stands in her way. I've attached a sneak preview of a couple of panels (from different pages).

As a "window on the Iron Age", I've tried to give the comic a convincing Iron Age setting. Locations, buildings and chariots are based on archaeological research. Characters and story are based on my study of the original texts. I hope the result is an adaptation that's authentic and exciting.

My first Ulster Cycle comic, Ness, a prequel featuring the adventures of Cú Chulainn's grandmother, is complete at 72 pages. A print edition is in the works, but the complete story will remain available to read on the website.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭McArmalite

You may be interested in a new webcomic which begins serialisation on my blog on Wednesday 6 August - The Cattle Raid of Cooley, an adaptation of the ancient Ulster Cycle epic Táin Bó Cúailnge, in which queen Medb of Connacht invades Ulster to steal a fertile stud bull, and only Cú Chulainn, the king of Ulster's teenage nephew, stands in her way. I've attached a sneak preview of a couple of panels (from different pages).

As a "window on the Iron Age", I've tried to give the comic a convincing Iron Age setting. Locations, buildings and chariots are based on archaeological research. Characters and story are based on my study of the original texts. I hope the result is an adaptation that's authentic and exciting.

My first Ulster Cycle comic, Ness, a prequel featuring the adventures of Cú Chulainn's grandmother, is complete at 72 pages. A print edition is in the works, but the complete story will remain available to read on the website.
    Great idea. Must entail a hell of a lot of work, best of luck with it. Listening to a discussion on radio recently, it is heartwarming to hear that even with the advent of never ending cartoons and movies about superheros like Batman, Spiderman etc, that kids today are as interested in stories of Cúchullain, Fionn and the Fianna, the land of Tir na nOg etc that generations of Irish children have had for centuries.

Advertisement