Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thoughts and comments

Options
  • 01-08-2008 3:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

Hi Guys, I'm looking for some feedback on my concept

Ok. The idea is still very fresh in my head. You know the movie Highlander were there can only be one? Well what if we could take this concept were there can only be one and put it into a monkey making website.

How?
    Well, registration to the site will remain open for 24 hours after that nobody can register. There is no limit as to the amount of people that can register within that 24 hours. So, we could have something like a million people competing to be "The Last One Standing".

The site will look like a regular networking site. But the main difference with this idea is that people will compete against each other to become "The Last One Standing". The more people you defeat the tougher you become to beat, you will become more "powerful" like in Highlander.

How to compete against each other?
    When you log in with your user name and password, other registered users will be able to see that you are online. Clicking on the Battle button will allow the 2 users to go into "battle". You won't know how "powerful" your opponent is until a "battle" starts. A fee of €1 must be paid in order to compete. There will be a cash prize of €1,000,000 for the last one standing. Revenue will be generated through online advertising.

Thoughts and comments?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Sounds like it might be interesting alright.

But how would you plan on promoting it? And how can you expect to get 1,000,000 sign-ups within that first 24 hours?

Why not leave registration open until you reach X amount of registrations (i.e. 1million), rather than put a time limit on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭ChicoMendez

hi

not bad - could indeed be something that would catch on.

questions
    1) what happens if some users never sign in - or rarely ? would thyey be eliminated ?
    2) what would a battle involve ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Also, you could perhaps look into creating an application such as this for Facebook or similar.... rather than starting from scratch on your own single purpose network.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭ChicoMendez

Goodshape wrote: »
    Also, you could perhaps look into creating an application such as this for Facebook or similar.... rather than starting from scratch on your own single purpose network.

nah id say you would want to stick with your own site - as this is how u will make cash (adverts) otherwise u are basically handing the cash to facebook.

an app for facebook to redirect/promote the site would be good though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 kcim

hi

not bad - could indeed be something that would catch on.

questions
    1) what happens if some users never sign in - or rarely ? would thyey be eliminated ?
    2) what would a battle involve ?

If someone rarely signs in and only defeat say 5 users then a users who has defeated 100 users will be much more 'powerful' and harder to beat. Like in a side scrolling beat 'em-up where the end boss becomes harder to beat

A battle would involve something like Street Fighter.

I am open to suggestions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

To really generate interest why not team up with X-Box or PS3 where they have millions of users and write an application where your website can be the administrative portal to enter the game world, And you track all events and strengths and weakness'es of opponents.

Con's

X-box might want money from you or they may steal your idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

What's "battle" ? Does it involve skill or randomness or what ?

What you're proposing at the moment is the equivalent of "let's set up a venue for a competition and charge people to come in, and the winner gets €1,000,000".....but there's no indication of what the competition is or how it works......

It will involve skill.

It's cheaper than the National Lottery

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Who wins the battle if both players have the same strength , whats the defining factor?

There is a ton of things you would need to decide before you started scripting it , which would take alot of time and money , not to mention the hosting costs of hosting a game with 1 million simultaneous connections.

God I know! I'm just brainstorming at this stage. Is it a good idea etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Goodshape wrote: »

Good idea. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

kcim wrote: »
    Hi Guys, I'm looking for some feedback on my concept

Ok. The idea is still very fresh in my head. You know the movie Highlander were there can only be one? Well what if we could take this concept were there can only be one and put it into a monkey making website.

Great idea! The world always needs more monkeys!!

(typo aside, still interesting idea)

I only just seen that typo!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

kcim wrote: »
    I only just seen that typo!!

You mean Money not "monkey",:( scrap my idea then

Advertisement