Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two passengers in front seat of a car

Options
  • 01-08-2008 10:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭

If I have two adult passengers in the front seat of a car and they are sharing a seatbelt, is this illegal because I cannot find any mention of this in the penalty points listings or the 2002 road traffic act? The only thing I can see is a stipulation that the passenger must be wearing a seatbelt. So if I was stopped on the road by a Guard in the above situation, what would be the response?

Opinions?

http://www.penaltypoints.ie/assets/pdf/RTA2002.pdf 2002 Road traffic act

http://www.penaltypoints.ie/the_full_list_of_offences.php - list of penalty points offences

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its illegal. Overloading a vehicle, they have a set number of passangers (usually written on the VIN plate in the boot).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

MYOB wrote: »
    Its illegal. Overloading a vehicle, they have a set number of passangers (usually written on the VIN plate in the boot).
    It wouldn't necessarilly be illegal on these grounds though. It may (I hope) be illegal on other grounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

murphaph wrote: »
    It wouldn't necessarilly be illegal on these grounds though. It may (I hope) be illegal on other grounds.
    .. and even if it isn't (illegal, that is) it would be very, very dangerous. There's no way on earth that a seatbelt on a front seat could adequately contain two adults sitting in it in the case of an accident. Why all this obsession recently in here about whether <insert stupid thing here> is illegal or not .. just use your common sense.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

SI 359/1991 requires that each passanger must have their own safety belt (with the standard exemptions for vehicles old enough not to have them fitted - but they are fitted here).

I'm not even going to get in to how retardedly dangeorus it'd be to try it anyway, but it is absolutely and utterly illegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

The Citroen 2CV had a bench front seat, and if I remember correctly 3 seatbelts on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,957 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

testicle wrote: »
    The Citroen 2CV had a bench front seat, and if I remember correctly 3 seatbelts on it.
    Are you serious? The 2CV could hardly accomodate 2 adults (shoulder to shoulder) never mind three. :eek:

Some older cars had a bench front seat alright. Ford Zodiac/Zepher?

Advertisement