Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How would i go about buying a bar 10 from china ?

Options
  • 01-08-2008 3:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭

would customs stop it (it's too powerful), bar 10's in irish stores have a downgraded spring

would a supplier remove the spring for free before shipping ?

Could i explain to customs that i will downgrade the spring before use?

what can i do to enable me to buy one from china and satisfy customs and my wallet ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

It will have to be downgraded before it enters the country. Your best bet is to just get it from an Irish retailer. That way, you're gauranteed it's legal, and that it's not going to be siezed before you get it :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭lucozader

yeah but i don't want to pay 6 times the price to an irish retailer !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

You've kind of answered your own question then. Some retailers will downgrade for a charge if you contact them. They definitely won't do it for free (although I could be corrected).

There's absolutely no way customs will accept it on a promise that you'll downgrade it. That's kind of like importing a handgun and 'promising' you'll de-activate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

yeah but i don't want to pay 6 times the price to an irish retailer

im all for buying abroad but is that comment a bit over the top? 95% of what i own comes from hong kong direct, just be warned china is kinda closing down at the moment so if its a mainland china store you could have a problem, hong kong retailers should be fine, also i would read thought the posts in the forums in regard to customs at the moment, a lot of checks and seizures going on and expect it to get worse

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Not worth the hassle at the moment.

Most Prices in Ireland I think are Fair. There are some though I think
    are just way to high. But that may not be the retailers fault.

The Good brand Airsoft stuff seriously takes the piss and in cases
    where an airsoft products price can exceed or meet a real firearms price
    it really ticks me off.

I started out thinking yeah order in from abroad and I did get some things
    but after a while I got lazy did not like the thoughts of Customs and tracking stuff,
    had stuff go missing and faulty High shipping prices of over 170 Euro for 1 airfoft gun!!!
    etc etc etc etc ..............

Unless its something extra special I dont order from abroad anymore.
    And even for special Items Tony from eirsoft as helped me get stuff before
    and airsofteire recently asked people what they wanted and they would try get
    what anyone wanted.

eirsoft.ie have a Bar 10 for 170 Euros. Thats not a bad price considering
    its a good clone of the TM Gspec. Its on my wish list. Even if the thing
    is boring looking it will be great for Quite Back yard plinking where you dont want
    the sound of a GBB or AEG motor to disturb the neighbours.

You know its already in Ireland! no hassles with Customs.
    You know postage will be cheaper.
    You know you wont have any Tax issues
    You know it will only take a few days to post.
    You know the retailer will have it downgraded if necessary.
    You know there are Irish retailers that can help repair or replace faulty goods.

Thats a Lot of Good things about buying Irish.

~B

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭andros

@bullets: How did you manage to pay 170€ for shipping of one aeg. Most I ever paig was 70$?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

I was thnking that as well, that some shipping costs for an aeg (where not taking a real weight 50 cal are we :eek: only joking )

For be shopping abroad normal has nothing to do with price but more to dow ith choose, irish retailors simple do not have some items, uk is also a good option for good, they can export hear with no problems.

In regard to the choose problem this has been resolved a lot more of late with retailors able to cust order in most things you need.

With the current issues with customs even im reluctant to order directly from outside the eu :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

andros wrote: »
    @bullets: How did you manage to pay 170€ for shipping of one aeg. Most I ever paig was 70$?

The Star AW338 I bought cost 178 USD Postage from Redwolf.
    I got hit with Customs fees of 143 Euros.
    there was a charge for the downgrade too.
    it was missing the scope.
    it had a faulty gas inlet valve.
    the replacement valve still did not fix the issue.
    it arrived slightly damaged (broken piece of metal from body)
    (And it cost more than my Real Steel rifle to buy!!!)

AND the entire transaction spooked Visa and they canceled my credit
    card and issued me a new one causing Havoc for a few days where
    I needed to sort out all my Direct debit updated all my details with different
    places I deal with such as my newsgroup hosting, broadband, gameing, sky tv etc.

th_PICT0002.jpg

~B

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

one word - ouch

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

lucozader wrote: »
    would customs stop it (it's too powerful), bar 10's in irish stores have a downgraded spring

would a supplier remove the spring for free before shipping ?

Could i explain to customs that i will downgrade the spring before use?

what can i do to enable me to buy one from china and satisfy customs and my wallet ?

lucozader: Please post in the appropriate thread in future, there is a thread for advice about retailers and also a "post here if your new" thread at the top of the forum, either one would have been suitable for your question.

As explained above, all airsoft devices must be below 1 Joule at the point of importation, if you want one, honestly your best bet is to buy from an irish retailer, especially the way things are with customs lately and EMS post not currently being an option for us.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement