Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky on 2 Televisions.

Options
  • 31-07-2008 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭

Hello. Ive been searching on google for a way to connect my sky digital connection from my sitting room to my bedroom. For example not having the same channel being played on the tvs. Help please, thanks in advance! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Dual or quad LNB and two digiboxes. It's not possible with one box if I have understood your question correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭MidnightQueen

Oh thanks for the reply. I actually thought there could be a way i could do that without digi boxes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Get cable if you don't want digiboxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭~Marky~

They have a thing in Powercity that you plug in to the back of your digibox and the Tv that will send the signal..I got it for 70.00 I think and it works well and you can change channles.
    In work now but will find name when I am home :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

that still won't allow you to watch two different channels from 1 sky box

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Get cable if you don't want digiboxes.

Only in short term. It's going entirely digital, a Box for each TV.

Besides analogue line up is small and often poor quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭b318isp

Could you not use the loop through on one digibox and bring that to the next?

Only for TV aerial signal...

Watty, can you clear something up for me - what use is the the LNB loop out on a digibox?

Similar to the OP, I was hoping to run two fta digiboxes off the one dish/LNB. From some research, it seems that this is not possible as the downstream boxes act like slaves - they are limited in terms of what will be passed on to them.

Do you know if this is the case if the first box is turned off or is in standby - i.e. will all TPs/Polarities be passed through?

If a splitter is used on the LNB cable to feed each digibox in parallel, will this work?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭emaherx

Best option is to buy a dual or quad lnb to replace current lnb.
    They are not expensive and will allow 2 or 4 receivers to be connected and operated completely independently.

• Advertisement

So I'm led to believe - but why? If there is a loop out option, why can't it be used and what's in there for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Sam Radford

emaherx wrote: »
    Best option is to buy a dual or quad lnb to replace current lnb.

No, a dual LNB is designed to work with two satellites not two receivers. You mean a "twin-output" or "quad-output" LNB. (A lot of people get confused by these terms!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭emaherx

b318isp wrote: »
    So I'm led to believe - but why? If there is a loop out option, why can't it be used and what's in there for?

The loop through can be used. But the master Receiver must be on stanby in order to fully use the slave one. why not buy a €30 to €40 Twin or Quad LNB and be able to use both boxes independently.

I think the reason for the loop through was for using digital and analouge receivers with the same telly where you would never want to watch both at the same time.
    No, a dual LNB is designed to work with two satellites not two receivers. You mean a "twin-output" or "quad-output" LNB. (A lot of people get confused by these terms!)

My bad, sorry :o.
    I ment Twin or Quad

b318isp wrote: »

For dual Analogue/Digital reception, especially in German market and a few years ago.

Only one receiver can be used at a time. Also receivers like Sky Digibox don't have a standby, they are fully operational, only mute video audio and turn of RF modulator as they listen for keys and updates.

On the LNB cable:
    The receiver sends approx 14V or 18V to select H or V polarity, (1/2 the channels).
    The receiver sends 22kHz tone or not, to select 11.7Ghz to 12.6GHz or 10.7GHz to 11.7Ghz part of band to the cable as a 950Mhz to 2100MHz signal. (1/2 the channels)

Thus at any one time only about 1/4 of the possible channels are on the coax cable. This is why a simple splitter or loop can't work properly, but may seem to work at first on a few channels. There are clever ways of splitting a satellite LNB signal, but for up to 4 or 8 tuners (coax cables) the Quad LNB or Octo LNB with independent outputs is simplest.

A Quattro LNB does not feed four receivers. It has all four possible states of the cable, statically, on its 4 outputs. H+low, H+hi, V+low and V+hi band. Its cables can thus be split and amplified as much as you like, in the normal fashion of RF coax. But each set of split is thus 4 cables always, so for a 4-way split you need four sets of splitters. A special box called a Multiswitch takes the 4 signals and makes them look like a regular LNB on its outputs. A Multiswitch can have up to 16 outputs, each looks like a regular LNB signal and does H/V and Hi/Lo selection independent, like a Quad LNB. In this way you can extend one Quattro to feed nearly 1000 receivers.

You can get multiswitchs that have 16 inputs, for up to 4 LNBs (each a Quattro).

A Dual LNB and a Twin LNB both see one satellite. One is two independent outputs and the other is is H & V on separate connects, but no Hi/Lo (it's obsolete).

A dual horn Monoblock LNB will "see" two satellites and has a Multiswitch (if it has 2 or 4 outlets) or a Diseqc switch if one outlet. They are for particular dish models and particular pair of satellites in a particular country as the spacing is fixed. They are primarily for 13E+19E or 19E+23.5E in Germany. Even with correct dish the spacing is a bit wrong in Ireland as we are so much more west, This makes the 13E and 19E seem slightly closer together. Don't ever use a Monoblock here. Two separate LNBs is much better.

Thanks guys. It seems that the loop out is fine, so far as only will receiver is in used at a time. This suits me and saves the cost of a new LNB and pulling extra cables.

Advertisement