Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road death stats - 2008 and 2007

Options
  • 31-07-2008 11:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭

Sorry to be asking, but does anyone have the road death figures up to the End of July for both 2008 and 2007.

I'm just interested in seeing the figures. A lot of reporting in the media about the Gardai doing a lot of speed checks over the August bank holiday and just curious.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭rameire

go to www.garda.ie
    click previous user,
    its easier being a user on the garda site.
    then click on traffic on the top of the page and then click on stats
    it will give you figures for loads of years.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

25 less deaths this year up to date I see.

Lets hope this keeps going.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭robfitz

I've a script that has been scraping the garda collistions stats web page and generating a set of graphs for almost 3 years at Graphs of Irish Collision Statistics.

The trend does seem to be for the better, I personally didn't think it would last more then a couple of months. The gardai seem to be doing a good job and the message does seem to be getting through to drivers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭OTK

I think it's partly due to higher fuel prices. People seem to be driving much more slowly than before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

OTK wrote: »
    I think it's partly due to higher fuel prices. People seem to be driving much more slowly than before.

There's also the fact that there's is more grade-separated dual carriageway/Motorway then there was this time of year. (M4/N6 all the way to Roscommon side of Athlone for one)

• Advertisement

Engineering, education & enforcement are the three main things that influence collision statistics.

Better roads - major improvements over recent years.
    Removal of unaccompanied learners as well as more TV adverts educating driver behaviour.
    Public anti drink driving & speeding campaigns etc

• Registered Users Posts: 78,262 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Its also a very good figure for July, which has typically been the worst month of the year for a long time.

Victor wrote: »
    Its also a very good figure for August, which has typically been the worst month of the year for a long time.

seen as it is august 1st, i wouldnt expect 28 dead yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,262 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Sorry, that was meant to read July. :)

Sorry, that was meant to read July. :)

well lets hope august is better still,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,949 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Its also a very good figure for July, which has typically been the worst month of the year for a long time.

Bad weather means fewer Irish/UK tourists with their own cars. High fuel prices and fuel surcharges mean fewer American tourists in hire cars (some of them driving the wrong way up the road while they try to figure out how a proper gearbox works...)

Life ain't always empty.

Advertisement