Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paying Installation problems

Options
  • 31-07-2008 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Ok I am looking to get Skytv and went and opened up a PostBank account that we can use for the Direct Debit and get a debit card (maestro) to pay for installation.
    Well we called up to order to find out that they do not accept debit cards (maestro) they will only accept Laser card, well on there website it gives the option for a Maestro!

My fiance called up to enquire about this and to find out that not all Maestro cards will be accepted (which I might add is NOT on there website) and that they would only accept a Laser card.

I think this is absolutly diabolical! Now we cannot get SkyTv. To get a Laser card you have to open a Current Account through a Bank and wait like 10-15 days for it to come through plus you have to put so much money in the account every month which is hard for a couple unemployed.

Sorry about the rant!

Anyone with any suggestions??

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Does a Postbank account not allow Direct Debits? These differ slightly from debit cards, in that money is taken directly from the bank, not via a card.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭mandandpeter

byte wrote: »
    Does a Postbank account not allow Direct Debits? These differ slightly from debit cards, in that money is taken directly from the bank, not via a card.

Yes the postbank do Direct Debit but Sky do not accept Direct Debit for Payment for Installation.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Rippy

Go with an independent installer and you can pay cash on installation.

Yeah we have thought about it, we are having trouble finding one that actually installs the sky itself and not just the freesat in our area.
    Rippy wrote: »
    Go with an independent installer and you can pay cash on installation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

Yeah we have thought about it, we are having trouble finding one that actually installs the sky itself and not just the freesat in our area.

Im sure you will find loads in your local papers. Everyone is nearly at it these says!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

i don't mean to cause offence, but if u are on the dole, and putting money into an account every month is a bit difficult, do u not think that sky is a bit expensive.. Maybe u might be better getting a local installer to put in a fta system.. You'll save money in the long term.
    A lot of households with one or two incomes, are taking the freesat/ fta route.

byte

Since you're in Donegal, check out The Dealer. Usually ads in there for Sky installers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Sam Radford

Why are you unemployed? As the root of your problem is lack of money, why not simply earn money by working for yourself? Plenty of ideas here:-
    http://www.marketingtips.uk.com/section2.html

I agree with the above poster. You have your priorities reversed. Earn money THEN laze about watching TV.

Well with a current account you have to pay in like a minimum of 500 Euro a month but sky is only 52 euro a month so we can afford it, We would go for the FTA system but the chennels we want are not FTA!
    pa990 wrote: »
    i don't mean to cause offence, but if u are on the dole, and putting money into an account every month is a bit difficult, do u not think that sky is a bit expensive.. Maybe u might be better getting a local installer to put in a fta system.. You'll save money in the long term.
    A lot of households with one or two incomes, are taking the freesat/ fta route.

We are already looking into setting up our own comapny and working for ourselves, But that will take some time. County donegal has the highest rate of unrmployment in the country as there are not alot of jobs out there, for instance I looked for jobs this morning but they all require experiance or qualifications which I do nto have. Nor does my fiance.
    Why are you unemployed? As the root of your problem is lack of money, why not simply earn money by working for yourself? Plenty of ideas here:-
    http://www.marketingtips.uk.com/section2.html

I agree with the above poster. You have your priorities reversed. Earn money THEN laze about watching TV.

• Advertisement

Thank you, we have bought one and there is a couple in there but they are ALOT more expansive (i saw one and it said over 200 euro just for installing) But I have found another way around this, Using a 3v card (its a throw away credit card) and is in association with Permanat TSB.
    Since you're in Donegal, check out The Dealer. Usually ads in there for Sky installers.

They're correct about the Maestro situation, I once landed myself in a right mess over it.

Maestro cards from the UK are former Switch cards, these are usually the only ones accepted by UK retailers. If a UK retailer attempts to put through an order from an international Maestro card it fails because they still use the old Switch system for validation.

I also had to use 3V to get around the problem at the time but now I have a proper credit card.

• Subscribers Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭Brolly

Ok I am looking to get Skytv and went and opened up a PostBank account that we can use for the Direct Debit and get a debit card (maestro) to pay for installation.
    Well we called up to order to find out that they do not accept debit cards (maestro) they will only accept Laser card, well on there website it gives the option for a Maestro!

My fiance called up to enquire about this and to find out that not all Maestro cards will be accepted (which I might add is NOT on there website) and that they would only accept a Laser card.

I think this is absolutly diabolical! Now we cannot get SkyTv. To get a Laser card you have to open a Current Account through a Bank and wait like 10-15 days for it to come through plus you have to put so much money in the account every month which is hard for a couple unemployed.

Sorry about the rant!

Anyone with any suggestions??

McEwens will install Sky for you - you pay cash for installation in the shop and then set up the direct debit for the monthly payments.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

To get a Laser card you have to open a Current Account through a Bank and wait like 10-15 days for it to come through plus you have to put so much money in the account every month which is hard for a couple unemployed.

I suggest you shop around the banks. I had a laser card issued on a current account and I was on the dole when they issued it.

byte

brolly wrote: »
    McEwens will install Sky for you - you pay cash for installation in the shop and then set up the direct debit for the monthly payments.
    Depends on what part of Donegal he's in though.

There's also NW Sky Installations and C McGroarty based in South of the county.

• Subscribers Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭Brolly

Depends on what part of Donegal he's in though.

There's also NW Sky Installations and C McGroarty based in South of the county.

I think they cover Letterkenny, the Finn Valley & most Inishowen areas. I think its NW Sky Installations that covers Donegal Town etc.(?) I could be wrong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Darth Maul

Alot of the installations done in Donegal are by a crowd coming in from the north

usually Bangor-based Finlay Communications there is another crowd aswell but some of the jobs I seen done by them are totally sub-standard. (cables twisted together, lnb connections not sealed. very poorly aligned dishes, cables thrown over roofs etc) but I suppose they keep us local guys busy fixing them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Finlay Communications are a sky subcontractor. They are not independents. If you thru sky direct it is likely they will do the installation.

Advertisement