Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

thinking of getting a neo geo pocket

Options
  • 31-07-2008 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,311 ✭✭✭

what are its best games, i can only think of sonic and metal slug. consoles are cheap on ebay.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,641 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

All the usual great Neo Geo titles.
    such as -

Puzzle bobble
    Samurai Showdown
    The Last Blade
    Metal Slug series
    King of Fighters games
    Magical Drop

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Probably better going for a colour. That would give you a wider choice of games... I never really rated this handheld to be honest and having tried a lot of the games in Neopop it hasn't done anything to change my mind. (Neo Turf masters and The last Blade being the exceptions)
    Unless your a collector of retro hardware I'd give this one a skip and if it's the games your after get yourself a psp and use an emulator! ;) Just my 2c!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,311 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

i meant colour yea! I just see they are quite cheap and with the DS releaseing piles of crap these days, maybe a Geo would suffice for a while!

Master of the Universe

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    i meant colour yea! I just see they are quite cheap and with the DS releaseing piles of crap these days, maybe a Geo would suffice for a while!

Ironically enough, Metal Slug 7 is a DS exclusive. :)

I know what you mean though, I haven't turned my DS on in a while now. And I've been a chronic DS player for the last couple of years.

Whats the Nintendo DS like for emulation? I'm running snes/MGD/GB and a dozen arcade emulators on my PSP. Some Final fight or Mario World on the dart! It also runs Neo Geo roms no probs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,015 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You should check out Faselei, it's a brilliant Strategy RPG. It's horrendously expensive nowadays though.

Master of the Universe

LoGiE wrote: »
    Whats the Nintendo DS like for emulation? I'm running snes/MGD/GB and a dozen arcade emulators on my PSP. Some Final fight or Mario World on the dart! It also runs Neo Geo roms no probs.

Megadrive full speed more or less, just with no sound. Snes has sound but last time I checked some games were a bit glitchy. It runs other fine though. All Gameboy emulation works pretty perfectly. Including GBA if you have the correct slot 2 device.

There was a NeoGeo AES/MVS emulator released recently. It's still fairly raw but plays games amazingly. Something I thought would be impossible.

However, if you have a modified psp there's absolutely no need to use a DS for it at all. The psp just does it better and bigger.

I suppose the only benifit might be the battery life on the DS being longer. Still might look into anyway as a few mates have the DS and are always asking how Im playing all the classics!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

GP2X is great for Emulation.
    There a newer touch-screen one out now, but I have the original one.
    I have MAME, a NEoGeo Emulator, and a Megadrive emulator.
    You can get a TV out cable for it also and use it as a DivX Player

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭Trode

SNK vs Capcom: Card Fighters is a great little game if you can get a hold of it. It's a bit like Pokemon, but with CCG-style battles instead of the more traditional RPG style, and the completionist 'catch em all' drive is enhanced by the cards being cute super-deformed versions of famous and obscure game characters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    You should check out Faselei, it's a brilliant Strategy RPG. It's horrendously expensive nowadays though.

Bought a non boxed US copy of it for around $10 a couple of years ago.
    Play Asia, where I bought it, still had it in stock up until recently.

The NGPC is nice little console.
    Good selection of simple, fun games and great battery life.
    Think I'll be rooting mine out for the trip to America in November :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I posted a link to a place selling them at good prices not too long ago in here:

http://www.leftcoastgames.com/index.php?cPath=56_57&osCsid=f561517bfed3097563ed260d38dce6a7

I bought mine there a while ago and it was in mint condition and really quick shipping. Works out at about €30 with 4 games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,554 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The Last Blade and SNK vs Capcom is good too, I really like its version of Pacman as well, the euro edition came with a little plastic ring that fitted around the controller, restricting movement to the four cardinal points so as to prevent little, diagonal movement mistakes.
    I got a sweet train sim for it too, actually not without charm, although I am still waiting for a PAL PS3 edition of Tokyo Bus Guide!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Shinji Ikari

what are its best games, i can only think of sonic and metal slug. consoles are cheap on ebay.

I had a neogeo pocket colour. There were some fairly good fighting games, capcom vs snk, Samurai Shodown 2, fatal fury, gal fighter, last blade and of course sonic was a great game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

There are tonnes of great DS titles either on release, about to be released or in development. I'm currently trying to figure out when I'll get time to play them all.

Master of the Universe

There are tonnes of great DS titles either on release, about to be released or in development. I'm currently trying to figure out when I'll get time to play them all.

It's great isn't it? Seems every time I finish one I have another to move on to straight away. Currently still having a bash at Final Fantasy IV and Metal Slug 7.

o1s1n wrote: »
    It's great isn't it? Seems every time I finish one I have another to move on to straight away. Currently still having a bash at Final Fantasy IV and Metal Slug 7.

You mightn't know but which would be a better bet for a metal slug fix, MS7 on the DS or the Wii Collection?

And I stil havent forund time to finsih TWEWY, and have and thre is POP, Away shuffel dunegon, and Chrono Trigger and more coming up!

Master of the Universe

You mightn't know but which would be a better bet for a metal slug fix, MS7 on the DS or the Wii Collection?

I'm a total metal slug whore :D Can't get enough of it. Was just playing X in my cab a min ago...!

If you don't have all the Metal Slug games, you have a few options.

The first one would be Neo Geo emulation on your pc via MAME. It's easy enough to get going. There was also a Neo Geo emulator released for the DS. Something which actually seemed quite impossible..

I've played Metal Slug 1 with it on my DS and it runs perfectly. (Actually, it looks just as good if not better than 7)

If you just want to play it on a console though, get Metal Slug Anthology. It has 1-5 and 6 was released with it. You might as well just get that rather than download each one from the Wii store individually.

7 is obviously a bit limited visually due to the DS specs. Still good though. Deff go with the other ones first.
    And I stil havent forund time to finsih TWEWY, and have and thre is POP, Away shuffel dunegon, and Chrono Trigger and more coming up!

Yeah I only just finished TWEWY myself. Got a little distracted as I've recently modded my PSP and I've been playing quite a few ps1 games on it.

I'm still debating whether or not to play through Chrono Trigger again once it's released on the ds. Going to have to just to see these new features.

Cheers for that, I reckon I'll go for the Anthology, found a copy of it used for pretty cheap too. I'm not into emulators and jut want to have it around for a bit of run and gun action.

While where on the subject of neo geo games has anyone else picked up a copy of Art of Fighting anthology for ps2? Its a shame they never released Samurai Shodown anthology.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

It's a shame they never released PS2 Garou:MotW with Netplay.
    Like Japan got.
    Bastards.
    :(

They never released Samurai Shodown V Special either over here but at least it can be downloaded with the latest version of mame.

They never released Samurai Shodown V Special either over here but at least it can be downloaded with the latest version of mame.

Plus it can be played on the DS now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭Creeping-Death

RichyX wrote: »
    Plus it can be played on the DS now :)

Thank god for that... Id love if sega and nintendo put aside theyre old differences and released DS versions of sonic and streetfighter :):)

Thank god for that... Id love if sega and nintendo put aside theyre old differences and released DS versions of sonic and streetfighter :):)

Well there are quite a few Sonic games on DS, just not a collection of the classics yet.
    A lot of people are fond of Sonic Rush, wasn't mad about it myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭appleidog

To be honest most of the neo geo pocket color games are pretty good, especially, Svc:motm, Sonic,Pacman and last blade. and if your serious about getting a Neo geo pocket color i suggest getting the Japanese exclusive slim model. because intodays day and age the neo geo pocket isnt really the most stylish console to be playing on the way to work.
    Thank god for that... Id love if sega and nintendo put aside theyre old differences and released DS versions of sonic and streetfighter

Also Nintendo never made Street fighter, the only thing Nintendo has ever had with SF is that it got a exclusive of World warriors on the snes like 20 years ago.

appleidog wrote: »
    if your serious about getting a Neo geo pocket color i suggest getting the Japanese exclusive slim model. because intodays day and age the neo geo pocket isnt really the most stylish console to be playing on the way to work.

Depends on how you look at things.
    I'd consider a more unusual console, like the NGPC, to be cooler than a DS or PSP in it's own way :)

Wasn't even aware of the slim model. There doesn't seem to be a dramatic difference between the two anyway.

The Ngpc slim is roughly the size of a NGP B/W which is pretty small,. and i meant it more as in the sense of if you had a old phone from the 1980's it wouldnt look as cool as one from todays age. and The NGPC is a fantastic console, had alot of features that came in the newer handhelds now like

1.Connectivity to Console (Dreamcast)
    2.Alarm system/ Calander
    3. analouge
    4.And horoscope

Remember most of my mates all had Ngpc, was great fun. and for the record Svc:motm Probably one of the best fighters ever made, up there with ssf2:X

btw you can pick up B/W pretty cheap on the internet around 15euro probaby even less. if that though they can't play all games, mostly svc and sonic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,311 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

i took your advice Logie, i now have a psp and 2 gb card. 80 euro wasnt too bad i thought. amazing what you can do with it.

• Advertisement

Emulation is never the way, :( a neo geo pocket color needs love and devotion, not being rommed on a psp, there is something about the neo geo pocket color that is just cool, especially the artwork alone on the clamcases is enough reason to get one, they look beautiful on a shelf. Get a Neo geo pocket they are fantastic,

Advertisement