Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Olympics U23 Football Accum Group Day 1 Aug 7th

Options
  • 31-07-2008 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

The 1st round of group stage games are on the 7th of Aug and I'm looking to put what would be a major bet for me down on these games early as I won't be in the country while they're on.
    I'm going for a 4 match accumulator
    Brazil to beat Belgium @ 4-11
    Italy to beat Honduras @ 2-7
    Argentina to beat Ivory Coast @ 8-13
    Holland to beat Nigeria @ 10-11

Basically it's 4.4-1
    My reasons are:
    Brazil and Argentina seem to have this passion for the Olympics.
    Brazil have Anderson, Lucas, Ronaldinho, Diego, Marcelo, Jo, Pato, Sobis involved and I couldn't see Bulgaria's main national team beating them nevermind their U23's.
    Argentina have Gago, Riquelme, Mascherano, Messi, Aguero involved and again if Argentina play half good they should win.
    Holland have Babel, Makaay and Drenthe and I'm only guessing that Nigeria won't be strong.
    Italy have Rossi and were impressive in whatever U21 championship was on during the start of the summer however Honduras surely couldn't be stronger even if the Italians are poor.
    If anyone has any thoughts on this good or bad let me know. Also if anyone has seen the Nigeria team play let me know how good they are please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Only 'big' name playing for Nigeria ia Anichebe from Everton. Don't expect them to do too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

not trying to be smart now, but i reckon there might be a draw in there somewhere. possibly arg v ivry coast

i wouldnt lump on to much. maybe pick a cuple of 1/5 1/4 matches instead of that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Italy's up and coming youngsters aren't exactly the most impressive in the world. I'd wait for some team news if I were you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Like the look of that quad, hadn't thought about betting on the Olympics. 9/2 at the moment.

Don't forget about the wimmins game.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭fergmcd

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Italy's up and coming youngsters aren't exactly the most impressive in the world. I'd wait for some team news if I were you.

I'm sure they're not, but still it's Honduras. And apart from 4 they all play in the Honduras league. On my thinking Italy is my safest bet of the 4.

• Advertisement

Just watched a bit of the wimmins game, the pitch for Germany-Brazil is awful. Its just like Monacos joke surface. Any passed ball is guarenteed to bobble.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭redfan

babbell is not fully fit . cant see any of them slip up . but footballs a funny game .. argies great price i must say.
    may do brasil -1 and argies double..

Ended up lumping on brazil and italy to win. Decided not to go near the other two but after it looks like Messi will play I might put a bit on that too. Pitches look seriously bad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭redfan

mister blatter was kicking up a storm bout the players being told not to pla by the clubs

what did you lump on brasil mate?
    http://www.goal.com/en/articolo.aspx?contenutoid=808240

I had 70 on Brazil and Italy to win. I decided to put 25 on double for Arsenal last night and Argentina this morning. Overall I made about 75/80 this morning. Delighted I didn't bet on the original 4 matches together, had a feeling that Holland would slip up.

• Advertisement

I decided not to bother, I feel waiting until everyone has played a game is wiser.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭patmac

Saw the highlights on BBC interactive. Brazil were very lucky as Belgium were down to 9 men with some very dodgy refereeing, and still stuggled to see of Belgium. Honduras were a joke, the goalkeeper in particular and a penalty which Ronan O'Gara would have been proud of. Argentina looked OK and China scrapped a home draw with New Zealand no stand out teams yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭roarlad

Day 2 of matches, August 10th

4 team Acc:

1 . New Zealand v Brazil (Backing Brazil @ 1.11)
    2. Italy v South Korea (Backing Italy @ 1.47)
    3. USA v Netherlands[/URL] (Backing Netherlands @ 1.75)
    4. Argentina v Australia[/URL] (Backing Argentina @ 1.24)

the big guns will dominate. hopefully! ;)

Final day of matches in group stages

overview here

Nigeria v USA
    South Korea v Honduras
    Cameroon v Italy
    Netherlands v Japan
    Argentina v Serbia
    New Zealand v Belgium
    Ivory Coast v Australia
    China v Brazil

Any thoughts? Brazil, Holland (have to win) and Belgium look like the only teams I'd risk money on. Could Cameroon nick a result against Italy as they might not be too pushed, ditto Serbia (must win) against Argentina?

Mike.

Advertisement