Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problematic Housemates

Options
  • 31-07-2008 12:03pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm living with a really annoying house mate who has decided to stop paying their share of the bills. They paid nothing for over 7 months, and then when we got letters from the ESB and Bord Gais saying that we were going to be cut off, they stumped up most of their share of the bills, but not everything, No matter what we say or do, they won't pay up the rest, and have now put a note up on the fridge (where we used to post the bills as we all have to pay separately (at house mate's request)) saying that nothing is to be put there!

Has anybody any suggestions for how to deal with this. I've shared with people who were slow to pay bills, but have never come across somebody like this before.

(They're also behind on their rent, but that's the landlord's issue, not ours. The landlord seems quite happy to let them stay, but if it was me, they'd have been gone the first month it was overdue... I wouldn't mind, but they're really living a great life, with meals out, take aways, nights out, etc...)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

This is a landlord issue, get on to them ASAP. Explain to the landlord very clearly and objectively the problem. You have no authority to force them to pay bills, but you have a right not to be cut off if you are paying your share.

Id say the best thing would be to have a round table talk with all your house mates and the landlord as arbitrator.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

We wrote a letter to our landlord about 6-8 months ago, explaining the situation. They then wrote to the house mate in question, telling them that we'd written the letter expressing our concerns, and to try pay off the bills as best as possible, even if it involved putting aside €5 a week. It had no impact at all. The landlord is probably going to call over again this month, so we plan to be around to discuss the situation, though I doubt it'll make much difference. It wouldn't be as bad, but this is a postgrad student who's in their late 20s/early 30s, not an undergrad who's living away from home for the first time!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

convert wrote: »
    It wouldn't be as bad, but this is a postgrad student who's in their late 20s/early 30s, not an undergrad who's living away from home for the first time!

You're not much better. Why are you writing letters to someone in the same house as you.

Talk to the person. Why are they not paying their share?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

He didn't write a letter to his housemate - he wrote a letter to his landlord, the landlord wrote to the housemate.

That's right Raphael, We wrote to the landlord, not the house mate! The landlord then wrote to our house mate.

Kaptain Redeye: We spoke to them, and the house mate isn't paying rent or bills because they have to pay fees (it's their fault, they failed the final year of their masters!), pay off the credit card and phone bill.... (They've since had their credit card suspended and the phone disconnected for non-payment!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭yurmothrintites

Don't see what you really can do but your best bet is to talk o the landlord again and explain how unfair it is on you and the other obliging housemates in your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

OP, there is an accomodation forum, and a third level accomodation forum.
    Do you want me to move the thread there, as you might get better answers?

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭gerry87

Lock the fridge, take the fuses that service their room out, lock up some electric stuff... etc etc give other roommates the keys and say you'll unlock when he starts paying his fair share.

possible? too aggressive?

Don't tempt me.... :D

We've considered it, but there isn't just a fuse to their room, it covers all of the rooms upstairs. We've already "broken" the clothes dryer which has reduced the bill hugely, but I don't think there's much more we can do besides talk to the landlord when they come up this month. The only problem is there's no guarantee our house mate will be around and if we mention it to them they'll make sure not to be around....

• Registered Users Posts: 78,299 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Either you move out of the defaulter moves out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Who is the leaseholder?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭DenMan

You're not much better. Why are you writing letters to someone in the same house as you.

No offense Kaptain but you should at least read the post properly before commenting on it. OP this is an unacceptable situation for you to be in. If the other housemates are able to afford to go out and order in for dinner then they should have the decency to contribute to the house, it is THEIR share after all. Maybe your landlord is a little overly generous in relation to the others. Personally I would not stand for that and neither should you. If it comes to a point where there is again very little contribution then you should look at your options. I know moving out of the house can be a bit drastic but at the same time this is something that you really do not need in your life right now, all this unnesessary hassle regarding other housemates who should be pulling their weight. Hope it works out for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 corkgirl00

I was in college in Derry and I had similiar problems,
    noisy, disorderly housemates. one of them, this old guy, Mr.XXX owned the house so there was nothing I could do. He was blaring music all the time and was up all hours. They also falsely advertised, they said pennyburn court was a quiet area but the children were incredibly rough. For anyone looking for accomodation in Derry, The guy is probably best avoided.....

but anyways, If the guy doesnt own the house, then call the landlord and get him to evict him. Explain to him how dire the situation is....... im sure hel understand

Advertisement