Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glenalbyn Adult coaching

Options
  • 31-07-2008 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone had done the adult coaching in Glenalbyn in Stillorgan. I really want to improve my technique, as at the moment im doing 750m in about 14 mins, 1.5k in 33 mins or so and know i can be faster because i know there's something wrong. In a 25m pool im doing about 11 stroke cycles(so 22 strokes). Have an olympic tri coming up and thought 'better late than never'. I've heard this coaching is pretty intense and reckon i might not be able to keep up, any thoughts?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Clseeper

Not totally sure what your asking for?

I've never heard of adult coaching in Glenalbyn, although I'm not familiar with the pool or teachers/coaches. Is it personal lessons/masters club/short duration swim clinic? I wouldn't worry about not being able to keep up. It's the coaches job to set a level and give intruction based on your ability, not just the majority. Remember your the client and it's their job to ensure you get the most out of it.

On your stroke count, it does seem very high, especially for a long distance swimmer. For an ideal, very efficient stroke, your relaxed warmup pace should be around the 10 strokes mark. There are numerous things you may be doing wrong/could improve on. Hopefully this will be pointed out to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I went to some of the coaching sessions in Glenalbyn last year. There is no problem with your level, it's broken up into lanes according to ability and so you won't be in the way.

I also did the lessons (e.g. the course) and got some decent tips there but mainly on strokes other than front crawl. The lessons were more hands on but probably a bit below what I needed (I was told by some of the others through that it depended a lot on which instructor you got.) The coaching on the other hand seemed to be largely just repeats and was a fair bit above- I didn't really get a whole lot out of it but did get some tips on breathing.

The coaching sessions are only €6 (50c more than a regular swim) so no harm to go along, you'll get a swim out of it.

Glenalbyn is 33m so I presume you are not swimming there currently. The extra length is a real boon, in a 25m I feel like I've barely got going before I'm at the end already (and I'm a bit slower than you BTW- around 16 mins/35 mins.)

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭trinewbie

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone had done the adult coaching in Glenalbyn in Stillorgan. I really want to improve my technique, as at the moment im doing 750m in about 14 mins, 1.5k in 33 mins or so and know i can be faster because i know there's something wrong. In a 25m pool im doing about 11 stroke cycles(so 22 strokes). Have an olympic tri coming up and thought 'better late than never'. I've heard this coaching is pretty intense and reckon i might not be able to keep up, any thoughts?

thanks

In Glenalbyn its really a coached lane swim. The coach is really good and will quickly point out flaws in your stroke and give advice on drills and ways to improve your stroke. There is a good mix of levels across the lanes,so I wouldnt worry about the intensity of the sessions - you would be grand based on your current level. When I first started in Glenalbyn I was doing similar 750 times similar to yourself and I wasnt one of the slowest. Just go along to one of the morning sessions (In the water for 7.15) and talk to the coach, explain what you want to achieve and go from there.

Advertisement