Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FTA receiver doubts?

Options
  • 31-07-2008 9:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭

Hi

I currently have a skybox without card/subscription
    To get rid of unwanted channels, i am planning to buy a FTA receiver

my doubt is

Is number of channels received on FTA receiver is equal to number of channels received on a skybox without card?

can i operate TV (volume+switch off) with the FTA receiver remote as I do with sky remote?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

1) Number channels might be slightly more, but no interactive, no Satellite Text, no automatic tuning, no extended program guide.

Setup Favorites in Setup, then when you press "Guide" press blue button. Allows up to 50 channels.

Better alternative is a UK Freesat setbox rather than a Generic FTA receiver. On the Generic FTA receiver you may have to re-tune often to get back missing channels.

2)
    Most other remotes do not operate TV channel, AV, Volume and teletext on same remote like Sky does. You'd need a learning remote.

The Freesat boxes to automatically retune like Sky and have full program guide etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

thanks watty for the reply

what is the difference between UK freesat satbox and generic FTA receiver?

does UK freesat receive all free channels?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Fat_Fingers

*what is the difference between UK freesat satbox and generic FTA receiver?
    Freesat box will let you have interactive menu, self tunning, 7 day EPG

FTA box - no interactive menus, only "now and next" EPG but and this is a big BUT will allow you full freedom to organize channels in your favorite groups, move them and place them where you want them to be. You can easily access the other satellites and channels

*does UK freesat receive all free channels?
    No, only channels on Astra 2 satellite and only channels that paid to have a place on Freesat EPG. For example , on freesat now you can get about 80 channels but there are about 200 free channels on 28east sat location, also plenty more free channels on the other satellites.

However for the beginner i would recommend to start with easy option - UK freesat. Once you learn more you can always upgrade to bigger and better. :)

thanks mate for the reply.
    will start hunting on ebay now for a cheap deal

by the way, do you get (i) button on FTA receiver which gives info on the current program?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Yes most FTA boxes have an (i) button that works.

Not all free channels are on Freesat. A freesat box unlike a Sky box WILL receive all free channels. Some may be used on more than one satellite/lnb via switch, a Sky digibox will not operate a switch.

watty i am confused now :-(

fat fingers mentioned - UK freesat receives channels on freesat only
    but you say all channels

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

You can tune in other channels like sky on freesat

what i mean is you will not be able to add other free channels to main freesat epg menu. you will have to go to "other menu" to view them. If you are familiar with sky "other channels" menu you'll know what i mean. Sorry about confusion.

Some people might find "other channels" menu a bit frustrating.

Some people might find "other channels" menu a bit frustrating.

I find too

• Advertisement

:D yes, they do that to protect their EPG. Channels who are paying to be listed on EPG would be mightily pissed off if you are able to add non-paying channels to main EPG.

Advertisement