Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happens if you quit a PhD?

Options
  • 30-07-2008 5:38pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Maybe I'm just having a bad week/month/year, but I've been daydreaming about just getting up and quitting. But if I quit now (nearly a year in) would I end up with any sort of qualification? I don't feel like I've enough to get a masters, but is there anything else I'd have to show for the work I've done? I'd also be worried about the situation that I'd be leaving my supervisor in. I have funding for 3 years (my supervisor is the person who secured the funding but it's in my name at the moment). So what happens to the money for the next 2 years that I would have used? It's not enough for her to hire another PhD student... maybe a masters student to continue on where I left off? I'd just feel really bad because I'm her first PhD student and don't want to abandon her. Like I said, maybe I'm just having a bad time lately (I definately need a break but can't take one until mid-September) but I just wanted to know about the technicalities of what happens if a PhD student quits at this point. So if anyone has been through it or knows someone else who has I'd like to hear about their experiences, thanks.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 261 ✭✭blucey

woodchuck wrote: »
    Maybe I'm just having a bad week/month/year, but I've been daydreaming about just getting up and quitting. But if I quit now (nearly a year in) would I end up with any sort of qualification? I don't feel like I've enough to get a masters, but is there anything else I'd have to show for the work I've done? I'd also be worried about the situation that I'd be leaving my supervisor in. I have funding for 3 years (my supervisor is the person who secured the funding but it's in my name at the moment). So what happens to the money for the next 2 years that I would have used? It's not enough for her to hire another PhD student... maybe a masters student to continue on where I left off? I'd just feel really bad because I'm her first PhD student and don't want to abandon her. Like I said, maybe I'm just having a bad time lately (I definately need a break but can't take one until mid-September) but I just wanted to know about the technicalities of what happens if a PhD student quits at this point. So if anyone has been through it or knows someone else who has I'd like to hear about their experiences, thanks.

You would probably not get a qualification. More important tho is why you are feeling this way? Why not take a break - I know of (have had) students who have taken time out. So long as its not too long, its good to recharge. Dont walk - talk, is my suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

Have you told your supervisor that you are having a bad time.

You should ask for her help first before considering quitting.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Thanks for the replies. I agree that time off is a good idea, but it's not possible at the moment. I have a long term experiment on the run that won't be over until September and an end of year report due around then too. And I have a summer student I'm responsible for as well, so I wouldn't want to abandon her. The most I can do at the moment is take Friday off to make the most of the long weekend and clear my head a bit.

I haven't mentioned it to my supervisor, she's away at the moment. I think that's part of the problem. I have to modify some of my protocols and I've been looking into all of the possible options but I'm very indecisive and don't have much confidence in myself. Usually I would go to her at this point and she would have the final say of what I should do. Also I've a summer student to take care of and I guess I'm feeling the pressure of someone else depending on me when I still feel like a newbie myself. There's also a postdoc working in the same department as me that I've been butting heads with a bit lately (nothing serious but I don't deal well with confrontation and dread any possible interactions with her).

Overall I'm just not sure if I'm cut out for doing a PhD. I seem to get stressed out very easily and I've heard that it just gets worse the further into a PhD you get :( Everything feels like it's going so slowly and I have hardly any results so far. And what I do have I'm terrified of having to defend during a viva (not just because of the possibility of flaws in my methodology and analysis, I just crumble under questioning). I'm afraid that even if I do stick it out for the 3 years that what I have still won't be good enough and it will have been a big waste of time and energy. And if I do manage to actually get a PhD... is it really worth all the hassle in the end?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

is it really worth all the hassle in the end?
    I would say probably not. It really depends on your career path. You could only really answer that question in 30 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭H2G2

woodchuck wrote:
    But if I quit now (nearly a year in) would I end up with any sort of qualification?
    No. Not unless you have does enough to merit an MSc and you write up an MSc thesis.
    woodchuck wrote:
    I'd also be worried about the situation that I'd be leaving my supervisor in.
    At the end of the day that’s not your problem, it is her problem. But speaking as a PhD supervisor its good to hear you are concerned about these issues. Many supervisors take a real personal interest in the student.
    woodchuck wrote:
    I have funding for 3 years (my supervisor is the person who secured the funding but it's in my name at the moment). So what happens to the money for the next 2 years that I would have used?

Well it depends on who its from. Its if an EU project, EI or some body like that then the supervisor can usually hold onto the funds. But as you said the “funding is in my name at the moment” then I presume you mean an IRCSET scholarship or similar, in which case the money leaves when you do.
    woodchuck wrote:
    I just wanted to know about the technicalities of what happens if a PhD student quits at this point.
    No “technicalities” as such, just drop out and notify your supervisor and the college.

Now for my advice:
    • Don’t do anything hasty
    • Talk to your supervisor
    • Talk to friends / family / anybody to help de-stress
    IMHO almost all PhD students think about quitting at some stage and usually more than once. Quitting is a big deal, so make sure you think about it and don’t regret the decision later. If however, you really feel it’s the right thing to do then do it and move on with confidence, knowing you gave it a shot.

Best of luck

• Advertisement
Advertisement