Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you finished it?

Options
  • 30-07-2008 3:26pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭


    I got a Rubik's cube a few weeks ago and finished it a few days later. I find it pretty easy now. It just got me thinking how many people have actually finished one. Considering there's literally millions in the world, I'm sure nearly everyone here would have had one at one stage or another.

    Have you finished a Rubik's cube? 16 votes

    Yay
    0% 0 votes
    Nay
    100% 16 votes


Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭elmolesto


    I finished it at least 20 years ago :P


  • Registered Users Posts: 39,188 ✭✭✭✭Mellor


    Jay P wrote: »
    I got a Rubik's cube a few weeks ago and finished it a few days later. I find it pretty easy now. It just got me thinking how many people have actually finished one. Considering there's literally millions in the world, I'm sure nearly everyone here would have had one at one stage or another.
    When you say pretty easy, how long does it take you.
    Considering that they come with step by step instructions, completing it is childsplay, doing it fast however


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P


    Mellor wrote: »
    When you say pretty easy, how long does it take you.
    Considering that they come with step by step instructions, completing it is childsplay, doing it fast however

    Under two minutes. It's not amazing by any standards but it's enough to make me happy. Especially considering I only know two other people who have finished it.


  • Registered Users Posts: 39,188 ✭✭✭✭Mellor


    I'd prob be about the same, but not better.
    I have my way of doing it, likely not the fastest, but i made it up myself, i'd i had the offical solution i might do better


  • Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Stealdo


    How many of you finished it without a book/website though?

    I've never been able to do them, but have never referenced anything to help. Think I will though, always wanted to be able to do it.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P


    Mellor wrote: »
    I'd prob be about the same, but not better.
    I have my way of doing it, likely not the fastest, but i made it up myself, i'd i had the offical solution i might do better

    Well, I learned the solution on youtube which turned out to be the solution they gave in the little booklet you get when you buy the cube. It's not very fast but it's easy to learn. It's very repetitive though.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P


    Stealdo wrote: »
    How many of you finished it without a book/website though?

    I've never been able to do them, but have never referenced anything to help. Think I will though, always wanted to be able to do it.

    I used these:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsQIoPyfQzM

    and

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IW_BBp3FPMQ


  • Registered Users Posts: 39,188 ✭✭✭✭Mellor


    I learnt the solution through trial and error,
    i'm pretty sure the first 2 thirds can't get faster, but the end is a little slow


  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Formosa


    Was on holidays in NY 2 weeks ago & n the subway 2 young (teens) Japanese lads had a cube each .
    They jumbled it up, swapped them & then raced each other to complete. Watched them do it about 20 times, took the winner under 15 seconds each time with the other lad at worst 3 or 4 seconds behind. Fascinating stuff that had the whole carriage enthralled.


  • Registered Users Posts: 39,188 ✭✭✭✭Mellor


    15 seconds is approaching world record speed


    Fastest time: 9.18 Edouard Chambon (France)

    blindfold, fastest time (including memorising): 1:00.62 min, Alexander Yu (USA)

    blindfold, fastest time (time does not include memorising): 23.06 seconds, Clément Gallet (France)

    one handed: 15.81 sec, Thibaut Jacquinot (France)

    with feet only: 39.88 sec, Anssi Vanhala (Finland)


    http://www.recordholders.org/en/list/rubik.html


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P


    Mellor wrote: »
    15 seconds is approaching world record speed


    Fastest time: 9.18 Edouard Chambon (France)

    [/url]


    Don't think so, lookey here:




  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭DylanS09


    Yep! all the time!! average on about 1 min 7 sec!! Just learning the "fridrich method" to try and get below the minute mark!


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭RHRN


    Yeah, about 2 minutes each time it takes me.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall


    Had one and couldnt finish it so threw it out:confused:


  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Steo46


    3 minutes but i peeled some of the stickers off and replaced them.


Advertisement